Votes: 24 42.1%
  • Francois Steyn

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Dan Carter

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • James O'Connor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
David Hill was pretty good, back a few years ago... He was consistently in the mid to high eighties for both Super Rugby and NPC. Course he wasn't a (proper) international.

David Hill was pretty good, back a few years ago... He was consistently in the mid to high eighties for both Super Rugby and NPC. Course he wasn't a (proper) international.
I concur... Only because his kicking stats for the Chiefs on Rugby 06 were ridic!! :p

Morne Steyn has to be the winner here, rarely has an off game also has pretty good distance. On another kicking note does anyone remember/know the name of the Romanian guy who handled the kickoffs for his team at the RWC(I've been trying to remeber it)? He was the best I've ever seen at kicking off, was able to put it massively into the air and well placed as well.

Edit: What is Morne's %? I think Canadian FH Jared Barker retired in 2004 with a 91% kicking rate or something close to that, but his career was beset by massive injury problems and he was only an average FH in other aspects.

Iulian Dumitras?

Last edited by a moderator:
I concur... Only because his kicking stats for the Chiefs on Rugby 06 were ridic!! :p

Oh I remember that! 95% or something. Always my kicker in the World League, when I'd inevitably steer Ulster to victory.

Steyn is the best but he is not good enough as a playmaker to represent South Africa. So I voted for Yachvili.

So Steyn is a better kicker, but that doesn't matter?

With over 70% possession and you can´t win a World Cup Quarter Final. Thats a playmaker who can´t act as a... playmaker. Pick your team first.. goalkicker second. Here is where RSA lost the World Cup.

Piennar and Jantjies are the RSA flyhalves for me.

where's chris patterson?

Retired from international rugby.

OK, but this poll is goalkicking, nothing else.
Pienaar and Jantjies?? Dear me!

OK, but this poll is goalkicking, nothing else.
Pienaar and Jantjies?? Dear me!

Sure... but I was just adding my twist. I´d say Steyn is the best goalkicker but outside of the Worlds top ten flyhalves. Argentina, Wales, Scotland, England, New Zealand and others would have no place for him.

Haha:D!!! Dear me for sure! RSA have never been good at producing flyhalves. Last one I rated was Henry Honibal (spelling) and that was back in around 1997-1998!

I see what you are saying, and don't disagree. Steyn has the benefit of a monster pack for the Bulls and Boks, and is rarely under pressure.
It's easy when your pack in on the front foot.

Lem was class (Sharks boy of course). SA can produce some good outside halves, but they only select one style. See Louis Koen, Derick Hougaard, Morne Steyn, and others)
Jaco van der Westhuyzen and Butch James were a bit different than the norm, but I was never a fan of either. Brent Russell would have been a good outside half had the Sharks and Stormers not sent him to Europe.

Rather off topic now, aren't we?

I see what you are saying, and don't disagree. Steyn has the benefit of a monster pack for the Bulls and Boks, and is rarely under pressure.
It's easy when your pack in on the front foot.

Lem was class (Sharks boy of course). SA can produce some good outside halves, but they only select one style. See Louis Koen, Derick Hougaard, Morne Steyn, and others)
Jaco van der Westhuyzen and Butch James were a bit different than the norm, but I was never a fan of either. Brent Russell would have been a good outside half had the Sharks and Stormers not sent him to Europe.

Rather off topic now, aren't we?

No worries! - with June approaching its relevent!

Say... good post there on the RSA flyhalves. I was in RSA during RWC 2003 and watched RSA vs England live at a bar in Johannesburg. The only English speakers were saying Houggard is the hero... their new Jesus Christ... that didn´t last long!

Pienaar has to be South Africa´s starting 10 this year.

Correction, where RSA lost the World Cup is because Bryce Lawrence allowed David Pocock to commit foul after foul in each ruck and get away with it,
with a proper referee South Africa firstly wouldn't have had quick ball denied to them so much and secondly would have had much more penalties for Steyn to kick

that was one of the most ridiculous refereeing performances I have ever seen, and unfortunately it was in a World Cup quarter final, Lawrence was only there as a token big nation referee anyway

and that pick your team first thing is wrong, and you should know that as a fan of the team with the worst kicking percentage at the World Cup, as a rule if you are a worse team playing a better team and hope to make an upset you have to have a good goal kicker

there is where Argentina (v England RWC), Georgia (v England RWC), Italy (v England 6N) all went wrong

You think Laidlaw is better than Steyn?

Agree about Lawrence and Pocock but 70+% possession is hard to argue against.

It worked for Argentina in 2007 with Todeschini on the bench. In 2011 I do think the balls were substandard. Steyn is the only one I saw kicking to his normal percentages.

Picking a kicker first or the team first is all about who the coach is. If it were me it would alwasy be kicker second.

Yes.... Laidlaw can make opportunities.

Last edited:
true. the only south african u can be sure of is francois steyn. he kicked a 61m penalty against the ab's in 2009 in hamilton which i pressume is close to sea level.

but have a look at this one from johan goosen when he played u/18 for grey college in bloemfontein (4500 ft asl)

18 years old....

Said it before but he got a ban for steroids...

Last edited by a moderator:
Said it before but he got a ban for steroids...
''It is believed that Goosen unknowingly took the stimulant. Apparently the use of PVM supplements was made available for the players at Grey College, and Goosen continued using them and the substance was contained within the supplement.''

Not exactly his fault, and not excatly steroids either.

I think Steyn would make most international sides....

Maybe in the last couple of years, but he doesn't suit the recent games of NZ, Australia, Wales, England... He'd have been perfect for England pre World Cup :p Now they're running it a bit more...

Best overall kicker for me, would be Morne Steyn. That guy pretty much never misses, and has a good range too (not Francois range, but better than most).

I'd say strongest would be Francoisl; and most clutch would be Dan.