• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Best national anthem?

South Africa and Japan have the best in my book, just wish I knew Japanese so I could understand it.

Just on a side note, it would be nice if the crowd in the stands had a bit more respect for the anthems.

I like the New Zealand and South African anthems. I wish they actually had singers like in Australia not just recordi gs.

it could be worse - a recent scotland match at hampden the crowd drowned out the anthem (leading to an 'investigation by UEFA' WTF? many countries fans misbehave every time they play - yet, even though were renowned throught the footballing world for our behaviour, they look like they will hammer us for one mistake? i mean, the SFA will make sure it doesnt happen again.)

only problem being that when the SFA asked the fans to respect the fench anthem in paris - the applauded it to the point where you still couldnt actually hear it! :D

The best would have to be either the French or Kiwi anthems....really enjoy hearing both of them. The worst is easily the Australian anthem. The lyrics of Advance Australia Fair are lame just plain embarassing. The tune's ok, but does anybody honestly feel pride while singing the words "girt by sea"? I didn't think so.

N'kosi sikele iAfrica is the best. I also like Ireland's call, and Fratelli d'Italia (even if I can't stand italians ^^)

I'm from Argentina and I do not like how the anthem is performed by the pumas. the problem is that the national anthem is veeeery long. It has an instrumental intro which last like 3 minutes. And this version before the matches is really strange, it has a couple of minutes of the intro and then it jumps into the end.

Flower of scotland is the best.

Oh gosh I love anthems, and have the lyrics to quite a few. I love singing along to them.

My favourites are Land of My Fathers, Flower of Scotland, God of Nations, Nkosi etc, Samoa Tulai, the Italian anthem, the Tongan anthem and now that I've heard it, the Argentinian one.

I also love La Marseillesaise, but have been surprised at how reserved the current French team are when singing it. Comparing the Argentinian singing to the French singing in the opening match, the French just didn't seem to be as moved when singing it as they used to be. Thought it didn't bode well for the French in the game.

When going to internationals I try to get tickets to the stand which faces the teams as they sing the anthems. It's just awesome!

For me it's the Welsh Anthem, theres no more amazing than listening to a song that has so much meaning to the lyrics.

I also love the French and Italian Anthems!

I think Portugal were unchallenged as the team who put the most passion into their national anthem so far.

south african national anthem is the best.

this rugby world cup is kinda crapper than the last though. just seems there isn't as much effort gone into it this time around.

but maybe thats from an aussie perspective, seeing as the free to air coverage is terrible.

I'm a little biased in saying that I prefer the Welsh one!

I quite like the Irish anthem too though.