• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Best national anthem?

<div class='quotemain'>the italian anthem is nice[/b]
ok with you :ph34r:[/b][/quote]definitely! it's ridiculously pompous. love it every time it comes on.

<div class='quotemain'><div class='quotemain'>the italian anthem is nice[/b]
ok with you :ph34r: [/b][/quote]definitely! it's ridiculously pompous. love it every time it comes on.
[/b][/quote]

Thank's to watching Grand Prx racing for over a decade, I don't know where the German anthem ends and the Italian starts.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'><div class='quotemain'>the italian anthem is nice[/b]
ok with you :ph34r: [/b][/quote]definitely! it's ridiculously pompous. love it every time it comes on.
[/b][/quote]

Thank's to watching Grand Prx racing for over a decade, I don't know where the German anthem ends and the Italian starts.
[/b][/quote]

Lol :D .
Yep, gotta love the Italian anthem though.

Ireland's call, Flower of Scotland...
But, for me, the best is "La Marseillaise" ^^ (I' m French !)

I don't like Ireland's call!!!! It's not Ireland's national anthem!! It should be Amhrán na bhFiann

Personally I also like La Marseillaise

La Marseillaise just wins I think, though the Italian's and Argies' are very good. Worst for me is probably the English.

Being half Welsh, half English, I love the Welsh national anthem, when you hear "Gwlad, gwlad" sung at the Millenium stadium in full swing, it brings a tear to your eye.

I love Land of Hope and Glory and Bread of Heaven too, but aside from your own nation, which the original post mentioned, I would say the South African national anthem is the one I love. 4 different languages and so much feeling. If you see the British and Irish Lions DVD where we've won the first 2 tests then when going for the 3rd, get trounced by a proud and powerful Bok team, its replayed on the DVD in almost silence just with a few native South African children singing the anthem and it makes my hairs stand on end. The Lions were magnificent, but the pride the Boks showed in the 3rd test just underlined how tough and passionate they are/were.

i love the south african national anthem, if i were in the team, i'd cry everytime i heard it!

it reminds me of one of my fave hymns as it has the same tune.

I love FLOWERS OF SCOTLAND too
La Marseillaise is very controversial here, because lots of people think that it's a war song that give a bad image of France abroad.

<div class='quotemain'><div class='quotemain'>the italian anthem is nice[/b]
ok with you :ph34r:[/b][/quote]definitely! it's ridiculously pompous. love it every time it comes on.
[/b][/quote]

I think the Italian one is awesome; exactly what you want from an anthem. But nothing beats the Welsh one. I can't listen to it without going cold.

Although not an anthem, Shosholoza is pretty cool. I remember it being sung in the final moments of the '95 final. I'm surprised it hasn't been sung much since then. Much better and original than sweet chariots, which has no relation to England whatsoever!