• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Best national anthem?

A part of "Inno di Mameli" mi favourite one is the Spanish royal march. Although Spain is not exactly a "rugby nation" their anthem is very unique...they do not have words!

http://www.navyband.navy.mil/anthems/ANTHE...0(Complete).mp3

A little history of the Italian anthem: until 1946 the Italian head of state was a king and the anthem was a different one:

http://www.radiomarconi.com/marconi/marcia/marciareale.mp3

After the war the republic was established and the "Inno di Mameli" was chosen.
The funny thing is that only last year it was declared the Official anthem of the republic! When the constitution was written the priorities were other than to choose the anthem the parlament decided that Inno di mameli would have been the temporary national anthem...it had been "temporary" for almost 60 years!!!
During the 90s some people wanted to change the anthme though...they said that it is not a musical masterpiece and since Italy is famous for being the "home" of lyric music they proposed (especially in the North of the country) to adopt Giuseppe Verdi's "Va Pensiero" as anthem.
Of course, at the end, Inno di Mameli was kept...maybe it is not a masterpiece but it reflect in a perfect way the Italian life style...a little bit "shabby-looking!".
Other info about our anthem are available at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Il_Canto_degli_Italiani#History

At the bottom of the page there is a link to listen the anthem

Please note that the text is obscure to most of the Italians because it is written in old-fashion and poetic Italian, full of metaphores...

If you want to listen to Giuseppe Verdi's "Va Pensiero" (today it has been adopeted by those idiots of the secessionist party "Lega Nord" - League of the North...Verdi is turning in his own grave...):

http://www.giuseppeverdi.it/page.asp?IDCat...80&ID=19828

It is beautiful but it does not give me the creeps like the other...

The power of 4 was absolute shite! I would have rather listen to Paris Hilton sing live. Anyways, Land of My Fathers = Class
(As well As O CANADA)

I'm from Argentina, so I'm biased, but I'd take the Argentine anthem over any other.

The Pumas are the team that puts the most heart into their anthem, and on the pitch they show they mean it.

"O Juremos Con Gloria Morir!"

Did they not show that in the 3rd place match?

As a French, I would say France, not for the music, but for the strong meaning of the lyrics. But to be honest, I really like the Irish one, especially the end, which Ithink is really strong and emotional.

The Pumas are the team that puts the most heart into their anthem, and on the pitch they show they mean it. [/b]

Congrats to your team but I'll be honest with you: Argentina showed more than heart on the pitch. They play fast, but they cheat fast as well. Don't know how many offsides we saw during this game. And your #5 should learn how to play rugby. And what is about insulting players over and over again ? Is it part of the rugby training in Argentina or so ?

Argentina did play with spirit and it was awesome to watch them, BUT yes, I saw some dirty play from them too :(

As a French, I would say France, not for the music, but for the strong meaning of the lyrics. But to be honest, I really like the Irish one, especially the end, which Ithink is really strong and emotional.

<div class='quotemain'>
The Pumas are the team that puts the most heart into their anthem, and on the pitch they show they mean it. [/b]

Congrats to your team but I'll be honest with you: Argentina showed more than heart on the pitch. They play fast, but they cheat fast as well. Don't know how many offsides we saw during this game. And your #5 should learn how to play rugby. And what is about insulting players over and over again ? Is it part of the rugby training in Argentina or so ?
[/b][/quote]
Mate I just joined this forum a a day or so ago and these are the kinds of replies I should be looking forward to?
Even though I disagree with what you said, the way you said it has shown a lack of respect and maturity very early on and I will therefore not bother answering you.
I'm not going to bother being honest with you, because I am afraid you can't handle it.

I think flower of scotland is the best anthem, i like irish and wales too. "la marseillaise" singed by the ESM Saint Cyr against wales during 6 nations tournament this year was great.

Generally I like all of the rugby "giants" anthems, especially the welsh, irish and scottish ones. Following this tournament though, due to the great load and passion it proved, I have to admit the argentinian anthem is the most "moving" and "touching".
So my vote goes to La Marcha de La Patria !
Al Gran Pueblo Argentino Salud !

[/b]
Well Ric, the Pumas weren't the only ones cheating were they? I think that Southafrica has its fair share of lateral divings on the mauls in that semifinal. Yeah I know it sounds like sore loser syndrome, but I had to answer to that. You see if an argentinian calls another argentinian a cheater then is all fine, it could be that the one receaving the message takes it as a compliment even, but if another person, not a compatriot does it, is all different.

Also I think that the best anthem is "La Marseillaise", I don't understand what it says, but it's powerful and has a lot of history, also it's the one that my father liked the most, I cannot forget that.

As french i like "marseillaise" our national anthem, but, scotish and wales 's anthem are enormous.

Welsh. As sung by by the Fron Male Voice Choir or anyone with Welsh blood. Argentinian would come in with more of a shout if the full version weren't so abominably long.