• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Best or Worst Rugby Player You Have Met.

Matt Poole's son was on the same ward as me, and that led to a visit from Martin Johnson and Dorian West. One of my dad's friends had connections that got me into the Tigers' dressing room after a match. Sadly, I remember very little of either occasion.

Also shook hands and had a video taken with Dean Richards, at a local club's tag-rugby open day.

As an American with minimal resources, I haven't met many, but Eoin Reddan tossed a kid his jersey when I watched Ireland A play the USA in Santa Clara and then as he was walking back shirtless, I noticed him shiver, realizing how cold it can be sometimes, even in sunny California. Also, as they were all walking off the field, I shook Mick O'Driscoll's hand. Even at 17 his hand was at least 3 times bigger than mine.

A couple of weeks ago I was unsuprisingly caught behind ex-Wales prop Martyn Madden in a que in Greggs. He bought five pasties and an iced bun. Five! Two cheese and onion, one cheese and bean and two meaty ones I can't remember. The woman at the counter greeted him warmly.

Not that staring starry eyed at them really counts, but both Dan Carter and Tana Umaga were gentlemen. Tana was exceptionally nice/well mannered and really left an impression. Other than that, I was skulking around behind Willie Lose today, once drunkenly exclaimed 'is that Ian Jones?' as Ian Jones walked by and snobbed me (prick) at the AB v Ireland match last year.

On a lesser scale, I had Taranaki prop Michael Bent hit on me in a bar once (I'm a girl) and know a couple of the current team through association (although not directly) and I used to frequent the same pub as ex-Taranaki coach Graham O'Brien. Also had a bunch of Manawatu/Turbos players call me over to their table for a drink after ripping it up at karaoke one night, although I couldn't tell you who because I was well past it and one of them came for dinner one night (his brother dates a friend).

And although she isn't a rugby player, Liana Leota (Silver Fern) came and drunk with us at our flat... when I finally clicked on that she was a netball player she vehemently denied it and convinced me she was a rubbish girl/involved with waste management.

Last edited:
If you happen to be in Wrexham, Starbucks is the place to be. Honestly, the Crusaders seem to always be there. I've seen Alfie, didn't talk to him though because he was talking to the guys behind the counter. And the amount of friends that have pictures of them is quite high. Also saw Alesana Tuilagi when he came to watch another Tuilagi (can't remember which) play in the U20 World Cup. Didn't speak to him again because of he was already talking to someone. Both seemed good blokes. Got quite a few autographs at the U20 (I was a bit younger then) including Ruaridh Jackson, Francois Hougaard? (hard to tell) Wiehan Herbst and Alex Rokobaro. The Fijians were especially kind as they sent the program around each other to sign it, feel guilty for supporting Tonga now:p

Chatted to stephen ferris at a club match earlier this year, nice dude! Man is a beast. Met a good few ulster players when I was a wee kid, david humphreys is an absolute gentleman and paddy johns who is the epitome of gentle giant :) walked into 4 or 5 of the french players in Dublin last week before the match, bonnaire, harinordoquy, traille and someone little who may have been clerc, didnt realise it was them until I was beside them, raging with myself for not asking for a photo, but thought I better not bother them before a match.

Rhys Williams when I was younger we were picking up a car in a garage in Cardiff and he was getting a free one off them the same time seemed a really nice guy, recently so so many as they come to the place I work and also friends with my boss and his son, so Tommy Bowe is a great guy, Huw Bennet is a really nice guy to talk to as is Cai Griffiths, Leigh Halfpenny, Ryan Jones, Ian Gough, Nigel Davies, Shane Williams is really friendly as well.

There are more that dont come to mind right now.

Mate, they should follow my example, go stand on the wing and never tackle! David Campese when asked about all the shoulder injuries.

I met Cai Griffiths on a night out in Swansea the other day, seemed like a bit of a knob if you ask me..Kind of hit on my friend with the whole 'I'm a rugby player' thing. Meh he's a **** player too.

Simon Shaw nice guy, bit boring though.
Denis Hicky quiet entertaining laid back guy.

Rhys Williams when I was younger we were picking up a car in a garage in Cardiff and he was getting a free one off them the same time seemed a really nice guy, recently so so many as they come to the place I work and also friends with my boss and his son, so Tommy Bowe is a great guy, Huw Bennet is a really nice guy to talk to as is Cai Griffiths, Leigh Halfpenny, Ryan Jones, Ian Gough, Nigel Davies, Shane Williams is really friendly as well.

There are more that dont come to mind right now.
Tommy Bowe is indeed a legend. I'd quite happily chatted to the likes of Shane and Jerry Collins after an Ospreys match one day, but upon approaching Tommy I froze. He was really nice and told me not to worry about it and signed the piece of paper I'd dug out of my pocket. Love him.

I met Cai Griffiths on a night out in Swansea the other day, seemed like a bit of a knob if you ask me..Kind of hit on my friend with the whole 'I'm a rugby player' thing. Meh he's a **** player too.
Yeah mate, I've had the same kind of thing with him - seems a right sleazy scumbag. Got ****** up in my student union back in Christmas '07 and was trying it on with everybody...

Willie John McBride was a true gentleman and shared some hilarious stories. Stephen Ferris is another great guy. Issac Boss was one of the friendly men I've meant, great to chat to even though he was just leaving the stadium.

A couple of weeks ago I was unsuprisingly caught behind ex-Wales prop Martyn Madden in a que in Greggs. He bought five pasties and an iced bun. Five! Two cheese and onion, one cheese and bean and two meaty ones I can't remember. The woman at the counter greeted him warmly.

Every time I see this thread, this story makes my day.

Every time I see this thread, this story makes my day.
:D He has a cleaning business now I believe. He used to park his van on my mate's street in Cardiff and we always used to make a joke about it until we found out it was the REAL Martyn Madden!!

I met Filo Tiatia outside the Liberty Stadium once, he was a legend

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1OU8DYetTy8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

Latest posts