• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Best red card

I was at Twickers for this match when this kicked off.

If my memory of that game is correct, Samoa were really dirty through the whole game that day.
You have a better memory than me and I was at the match.:p It wasn't a great spectacle and the double red cards are only thing that I remember from the game now. But looking back Moody wouldn't have reacted the way he did not just because of that rediculous Tuilagi no arms tackle.

Here you go. (Lol age restricted. guess just have to click on link)

First time I've seen that. Complete sucker punch. In some ways, rugby then was a joke that players even thought of doing that.

Here you go. (Lol age restricted. guess just have to click on link)

First time I've seen that. Complete sucker punch. In some ways, rugby then was a joke that players even thought of doing that.

If memory serves Mendez was 17 (possibly on debut?) and the England players had been going out of their way to wind him up.
This was him showing it had worked.

Im curious on what grounds specificly was he sent off?

Thats brilliant though.
I assume this one.

Players must respect the authority of the referee. They must not dispute the referee's decisions. They must stop playing immediately when the referee blows the whistle to stop play.

Sanction starts at a penalty, but obviously referees can adjust that to reflect the seriousness or level of the offence.

...can you give a card after the final whistle?

games over, I don't see any disrespect, just joy by someone playing a game, spoil sport
Yep you can. It is disrespectful. It may not have malice but manhandling anyone against their will or acceptance is inherently disrespectful. That particular action is also quite demeaning as it makes the ref appear like a child.

I don't believe the player intended it to be anything more than a bit of fun but what the player wanted isn't really relevant, it's whether the ref wanted to be treated in such a way. There are also strict rules about grabbing the referee in any way, it's a huge no-no. Having said that I'm surprised it was a red rather than a stern talking to and maybe a symbolic yellow tops.

just makes me sad, im still of the firm belief its a game first and foremost and games should be fun

Obviously you cant TELL the ref he shouldn't be so upset, I just WISH he wasn't. Making him LOOK like a child (and that didn't occur to me until you said it) doesn't change the power he has over the game, if someone saw it and thinks less of him for it and therefore showed him more obvious disrespect the ref still has the power to punish that

I just wish we all saved our outrage for deliberate disrespect and malice

@Kiwiwomble I agree! I feel sad for this guy,he didn't want to do anything disrespectful imo,just was overemotional I'd say (although it looked hilarious :D ). Plus,yeah..it was after the final whistle actually..weird.

If memory serves Mendez was 17 (possibly on debut?) and the England players had been going out of their way to wind him up.
This was him showing it had worked.
Paul Ackford wrote about this in his column in the Telegraph twenty years ago. IIRC, a young Jason Leonard was having a tough time in the scrums, so Ackford told him to let him know the next time he was struggling and he would send a punch through to level the playing field. This caused the scrum to break up and as Jeff Probyn stepped over Mendez, Mendez saw fit to grab his gentleman's area, causing Probyn to stamp on him to get free. This brought the red mist down on Mendez and Ackford happened to be the closest bloke in a white shirt (albeit looking the other way) when he got to his feet. I think Pitbull's Punchups is available on YouTube, it contains a reasonable breakdown of what went on.

Talking of Mendez, did he suffer bad injures of something? Not long after this incident, he was talked about as the best hooker in the world, but by the time rugby went open and he arrived a Bath (96?), he was a shadow of his former self. IIRC he was 18 in 1990, so in theory have still been approaching his peak when he joined Bath, Anyone remember the name of the Argentinian second row who signed for Bath at the same time? It's bugging me and Google has let me down, I want to say he was Herman someone.

Talking of Mendez, did he suffer bad injures of something? Not long after this incident, he was talked about as the best hooker in the world, but by the time rugby went open and he arrived a Bath (96?), he was a shadow of his former self. IIRC he was 18 in 1990, so in theory have still been approaching his peak when he joined Bath, Anyone remember the name of the Argentinian second row who signed for Bath at the same time? It's bugging me and Google has let me down, I want to say he was Herman someone.

Herman / German.....I reckon the lock you're thinking of was was German Llanes.

The red was Mendez's 2nd test. He was propping at that stage and didn't play a test at hooker until virtually 4 years later .

Herman / German.....I reckon the lock you're thinking of was was German Llanes.

The red was Mendez's 2nd test. He was propping at that stage and didn't play a test at hooker until virtually 4 years later .
Thanks, that joins up a few dots. It turns out I did remember the surname, not the first name.

I remember that Mendez could play across the front row, it makes it all the more bizarre that he went from prop in 1990 to possibly the best hooker in the world in 1995 to a bench player by the 1998 HC final.

Latest posts