• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Best "should be picked but aren't" XV

paddybrown

Academy Player
Club or Nation
Ulster
OK, here's a challenge. What's the best team we can make of players who don't get picked (or don't get picked enough) for their national team (or the Lions)? I'll start us off with a few suggestions.

3. Kyle Sinckler. I know, I know, he did eventually get picked for the Lions after Andrew Porter dropped out, but he was the main reason I thought of this, so I'm including him.
7. Justin Tipuric (unluckly not to be picked for the Lions)
8. Sam Simmonds (he's in the Lions, but doesn't get picked for England)
9. John Cooney (with Caolin Blade on the bench)
10. Marcus Smith (I could have gone for Danny Cipriani or Paddy Jackson here, but Smith's the rising star, and Cipriani would probably be a disruptive influence even on an imaginary team)
11. Jordan Larmour
13. Paolo Odogwu (was in the last England squad, but didn't get to play)

I could complete the backline with Ulster players - Stuart McCloskey at 12, Rob Baloucoune at 14 and Michael Lowry at 15 - but I think that might be pushing it. And I'm rubbish at forwards - I can tell when the pack are playing well as a unit, but my understanding of forward play lets me down when it comes to picking out individuals - so I'll leave most of them to others.

Last edited:
I have some good news for you
@Welsh Exile there are people on here that don't even know Tipuric is with the lions!!! Come tell them the good news!
OK, here's a challenge. What's the best team we can make of players who don't get picked (or don't get picked enough) for their national team (or the Lions)? I'll start us off with a few suggestions.

3. Kyle Sinckler. I know, I know, he did eventually get picked for the Lions after Andrew Porter dropped out, but he was the main reason I thought of this, so I'm including him.
7. Justin Tipuric (unluckly not to be picked for the Lions)
8. Sam Simmonds (he's in the Lions, but doesn't get picked for England)
9. John Cooney (with Caolin Blade on the bench)
10. Marcus Smith (I could have gone for Danny Cipriani or Paddy Jackson here, but Smith's the rising star, and Cipriani would probably be a disruptive influence even on an imaginary team)
11. Jordan Larmour
13. Paolo Odogwu (was in the last England squad, but didn't get to play)

I could complete the backline with Ulster players - Stuart McCloskey at 12, Rob Baloucoune at 14 and Michael Lowry at 15 - but I think that might be pushing it. And I'm rubbish at forwards - I can tell when the pack are playing well as a unit, but my understanding of forward play lets me down when it comes to picking out individuals - so I'll leave most of them to others.

Latest posts