• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bid for new Bridgend-based team

Hmm, can't help but think this wouldn't succeed in the long run, if they do get the go ahead
I've no idea of the costs and the such related to running a team (is championship 1 alot cheaper?), but the Crusaders have had to ship out of bridgend, so it'd only make sense that another team wouldn't do as well there, especially as alot of league fans in the area will be crusaders fans. But then again, the new team wouldn't be in competition with the crusaders.

Surely we've learned over the last year that Wales can barely support one league team? Seems a bit thick to me.

EDIT: post 1337 LOLZ

If they aren't careful they will ruin rugby league in the south of Wales forever.

I think they've already acheived that and got the badge to put on their Xbox Live profile:

acheivementunlocked.jpg

My point still stands.

Not even Moffett could have acheived a fiasco this monumental in size.

I agree with you. If the Crusaders move North, someone should be fired.

Will the Celtic Warriors or another RU team based in Bridgend come back into the ML anytime soon

Ahhh I dont think there is any chance of that anymore Dale.

When the Celtic Warriors were closed down, other regions took the areas under their wing (excuse the pun). The Ospreys took on Bridgend and the Blues took on Pontypridd and the Valley areas. Both regions now have their academies across the region and have spent alot of money in the youth set up and promoting the region they fall under.

Although, Welsh tribalism shows and you'll probably find most of Pontypridd support the Ospreys. Or on the other hand many still watch Rugby at club level in Bridgend and Pontypridd and refuse to watch regional rugby (hence why the Celtic Warriors crashed). Hopefully this will die out.

A little diagram of regional rugby in Wales... The Blues region is slightly misleading - its not that big!

501px-WalesRugbyRegions.png

How was the reaction from going to the 9 clubs to 5/4 regions, as it had a negative impact in Welsh rugby or will it the positive effects happen in 10 years or so?

I hate the whole nickname thing, regional names like Leinster, Munster, Edinburgh etc would be grand if possible.

It's been positive in many ways Dayle. I think the Welsh team has improved because of it, I daren't think where we'd be if it was still clubs. It also allowed the Celtic/Magners League to be formed with the Irish and Scottish, this also couldn't have been formed if Wales still had 9 clubs. There has been a big fall out in the vallays of Bridgend and Ponty, but it's tough to see what could have been done to save the Celtic Warriors. If the team was failing finantially, even though on the field they were playing fantastically well, where were all the supporters? It's their fault, and their fault only that the Warriors didn't survive, especially considering at the time the WRU was also struggling with spiralling dept!

Anyway, this thread is about Rugby League. Stupid idea. A super league team had a chance of drawing enough traditionally union supporters to watch them, but a league 1 side has no chance I'm sorry. It's just not popular enough in Wales.

Celtic Warriors suffered from the same fate that would befall Border Reivers a few years later. A bunch of people who wanted to have their cake and eat it. They wanted a professional team but didn't really want to go see it as that would take up valuable time watching the amateur clubs at weekends.

Once they were told that they can't have it both ways, they kicked up a huge fuss that caused a schism in Welsh rugby that has still yet to heal.

I think South Wales can be a success after all it does not take that much to run a side in Championship One.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Dec 23 2009, 04:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think South Wales can be a success after all it does not take that much to run a side in Championship One.[/b]
It takes even less to decide not to go and pay to watch them.

Latest posts