• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bledisloe Cup: Match 2 - New Zealand vs. Australia (17/08/2019)

TRF_heineken

RIP #J9
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
South Africa
UIVmBz8.png
j7lEIMe.png
SxGOCQa.png

Venue: Eden Park
Time: 09:35 CAT (SA, GMT+2)

Gerrintaethum :mad:

Seriously though lots of questions for how the ABs will set up. Going into a World Cup with so many positions in the first XV still not settled is criminal. I appreciate we've had a couple injuries but the fact that our flankers, first 5, centres, FB and right wing are all still up in the air makes me think that we've not managed the transition from the '15 team well at all. Looking at that team and who left after that World Cup (up to 2017) we have (amongst others);

- our first choice flankers
- our first 5
- our centres
- our right wing

cant believe benSmith gets dropped for being played out of position. i hope he's just getting a deserved rest
BB shouldve been on the wing

Is it just me or has Steve Hansen rolled the dice with that team selection. Not the banker picks that I expected. Shocked at no Ben Smith. I think we'll see a big response from the ABs in the forwards but not sure about their centre and wing combos. Don't get me wrong Reece and Bridge are quality but to put them into a Bledisloe Cup decider is a brave call. I'm still not sold on the Barrett/Mo'unga combination either. I still think Beaudy B should be at number 10.

Interestingly this definitely isn't the AB run on 15, BB kicking this whole tournament has heavily implied BB will be starting 10 for WC and Richie Mo is just getting an extended test run at 10. Also I'm pretty sure Goodhue is nailed on first choice at this stage, still I expect this loose trio is very close to first choice. Wings are also not the incumbents but I'm not sure Bridge and Sevu is much worse than any other combo they could put out.

Still a very strong AB side.

not a fan of everyone being moved around just to accommodate mounga.
BBs the better 1st5 and reece and ioane should be our wings with benSmith in as fullback. mounga can come off the bench.

The matchday 23 is as follows (with Test caps in brackets):

1. Joe Moody (39)
2. Dane Coles (63)
3. Nepo Laulala (18)
4. Patrick Tuipulotu (23)
5. Samuel Whitelock (110)
6. Ardie Savea (37)
7. Sam Cane (62)
8. Kieran Read - captain (120)
9. Aaron Smith (85)
10. Richie Mo'unga (11)
11. George Bridge (3)
12. Sonny Bill Williams (52)
13. Anton Lienert-Brown (36)
14. Sevu Reece (1)
15. Beauden Barrett (76)

16. Codie Taylor (43)
17. Ofa Tuungafasi (28)
18. Angus Ta'avao (6)
19. Jackson Hemopo (4)
20. Matt Todd (19)
21. TJ Perenara (57)
22. Ngani Laumape (12)
23. Jordie Barrett (10)

Smith has been average at best on the wing since his injury. Lacking pace and impact. Reece will bring both if he can transfer his Super form to Test rugby. I reckon he will. Ioane looks like he's caught the same illness his older brother suffers from. It's called "I'm so good i don't have to put in the hard yards like everyone else". He's a bigger worry than Ben Smith because he's the future and Smith's the past. Franks looks likes a player who the game has left behind. A scrummaging dinosaur. Props need to do more these days.

not a perfect game?......all change again....seems to be Hansen's only move now

famously the Henry / Hansen era has looked to build real combinations, only taking one or two bolters on tours and then not always playing them, the era where several players have got to 100 caps...somethings changed

Last edited:
This might actually be a good game. That looks a beatable All Blacks team.

Having said that, theyll probably hit us for 50.

Word is no Arnold which is a huge blow. No Pocock and Simmons, Wright (debut) and AAC brought onto bench.

If so, not feeling as optimistic as a moment ago.

Very nice ABs lineup. Ben Smith isn't back to strength with his hamstring. He went from his usual class and error-free ways in Super Rugby until that ugly clash with Jacobsen late in the season. Playing in the Black 14 jersey was never a concern for him until this Rugby Championship. He can't catch a high ball or beat anyone, and looks like he doesn't trust himself. I still expect him to get back to vintage form and be in Japan.

Owen Franks' shoulder is a similar problem. His trademark low tackles and cleanouts are a second behind because of the layoff. Nepo Laulala has been sluggish this year, but can be an absolute animal when locked in.

I personally like the duel player maker look. It hasn't shown its full value yet. Mo'unga's ability to step and read threatening linespeed is a class above Beauden's, even if that hasn't been in black yet.

I don't expect Reece to let go of this grip on #14. Bridge needs a breakout game in black (v Japan last fall doesn't count). Ioane and Ennor will be chomping for the #11 now.

Also love this backrow, and expect it to stick. Ardie needs to be better than he was last weekend, even if there's no threats left to keep him out of the starting lineup.

Last chance for Tuipulotu. Despite their disappointment with Hemopo's decision to leave NZ at years end, I think he's likely to start a game before the World Cup.

This game will be a great watch no matter what.

I don't think smith has been that bad, he struggled with high balls against Argentina but in that game and against SA he was a genuine handful on attack with multiple linebreaks and defenders beaten. It is fair to say the game just didn't go his way last weekend. its fair to say that Smith and Ioane are not at their best right now.

This game is going to be won and lost by the AB forwards though, it wasn't ben smiths fault the AB's only ~35% of the ball. The backs have looked dangerous and the attack sharp so far this season but you need 45% of the ball to win games. That comes down to mostly the forwards, better scrums and lineouts, better cleanouts and security(everyone) and we will be nearer the 50% we need to beat anyone.

Both SBW and ALB are prolific off loaders we really need guys like Sevu and Savea to come in take those and exploit space in behind.

Richie Mo'unga still finding his feet starting in these big games. it takes time to get a feel for this level even more so at 10. the guy is an amazing talent. These games should be a great experience for him going into the WC as it seems he is going to be used.

huge game for Sevu and Bridge. But it has to be said with the experimental nature of the side, the injuries, no genuine 6 and few new fella's on the wings the aussies have by far their best shot at getting the silver.

I do find it interesting that despite the Bledisloe being on the line the selections still suggest tinkering and rotation looking towards the WC.

I do find it interesting that despite the Bledisloe being on the line the selections still suggest tinkering and rotation looking towards the WC.
Lets be honest in a World Cup year no one really cares all that much about the Bledisloe.

yeah, Bledisloe and unbeated run at Eden park on the line

Lets be honest in a World Cup year no one really cares all that much about the Bledisloe.

that attitude might be why you haven't had it for so long, lots of kiwis want to keep this 17 year run going

yeah, Bledisloe and unbeated run at Eden park on the line

that attitude might be why you haven't had it for so long, lots of kiwis want to keep this 17 year run going

I don't think my attitude affects the Wallabies too much.

Latest posts