• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

BLIC is back for 2007

"Angry gamers feeling let down by over-hyped game" syndrome is something I have observed close up upon the release of every cricket game since EA's Cricket2002. Every release day cricket-gamers far and wide sally forth to search the Holy Grail and yet again it seems that they are going to be disappointed. With years of disappointment and disillusionment behind me (I also support the England cricket team) I fired up BLIC07 with low expectations.
Ultimately, whilst Codemasters have undoubtedly worked hard on this ***le and implemented some nifty new features it seems they have neglected the sine qua non of cricket gaming – the gameplay.
Put simply the game has major pacing issues and the AI is depressingly stupid.[/b]

<div align="CENTER">
normal_blic07_pcdvd_pack.jpg
</div>

Read the full review here

To be honest It's a good game which I will enjoy, If people read reviews and don't try it for themselves then it's silly. For one I hated how licensing and player looks are not done but that won't stop me from enjoying the game!

To be honest It's a good game which I will enjoy, If people read reviews and don't try it for themselves then it's silly. For one I hated how licensing and player looks are not done but that won't stop me from enjoying the game!
[/b]

Unfortunately it is not just the licensing/player looks that seem to be the problem here...............it appears the gameplay is a total shambles. I will buy it, but my expectations are close to zero.

Reviews from professional game reviewers don't phase me, but when trusted (and in many cases "hardcore" BLC supporters) start saying the game is total crap then you have to sit up and take notice.

To say it is taking a hammering on the official codies website and planetcricket.net is an understatement.

Then again I suppose there is the next BLC/EA cricket game to look forward to :toss:

Have some people been too hasty to judge this as an awesome game before release?

I keep harping on about it, but EA '07 has kept me very entertained in multi-player, with a group of friends having played in a tournament, and it's been very well received.

It sadly lacks in the fielding department, although more in the fact that your hardly involved. The catches are nearly all taken, end of story, which sucks. The run-out's can and do happen, if you choose the right end, so are not too bad.

There's nothing which badly ruins the game for you in batting and bowling. I actually find it quite enjoyable, whilst I realise that it is still far from what we all deserve in a cricket game by now!

I like AK and his opinion on many things, but too be honest he's a fan of BLIC and hater of EA. I'd like to hear from those who've played BLIC who didn't hate EA '07 from the start.

Someone like Woosaah, or anyone else who's played both a lot. Maybe people aren't giving BLIC a chance, like they did with EA.

Sometimes it takes a week or so to get used to a game properly, or maybe it's a great multiplayer game only.

or maybe it's a great multiplayer game only.
[/b]

I fear you've hit the nail on the head. I think I've been pretty even-handed in my treatment of all the games in my time at PC and this is the first one that I have been totally disgusted by. Probably exacerbated by the fact I was at the Codies open day etc but to play a test match and to see the opposition score at 10 an over and get 4 runouts is just awful.
As I said in the review the pacing and AI are shocking; actually several steps backwards from BLIC2005. It's got definite potential as a multi-player and/or online game but none at all for those of us that love test cricket.
Colin

Well, the more I hear, the more it's sounds like this game is really made for 10 or 20 over multiplayer.

Not a bad thing in itself, but as Colin said above, if you love test cricket (as I do also), your very much out of luck by the sounds.

do they just go for it if you are bowling on a good length all the time?

i have only played the demo but have had played it a bit. The bowling was ok wasnt to bad but was going to wait for it to come out. Have only just started to hear bad things about it and i am getting a bit worried. Going to get it anyway just for the online play if i can. Hopefully it wont lag to much and be playable at least :)

Will have a play on thurs/fri when it comes out and tell you guys my judgment then.

i dunno what to think now

very very bad reports going around

AI pacing is very important.

But as for the fielding meter........its perfect, its hard, and its perfect from the demo - if that is sped up maybe its bad, but i cant agree on negatory comments for the fielding n catching, i love it

i cannot ascertain how this is worse than blic05 from some comments

bring on multiplayer nonetheless - we know thats is good

Heard a rumour it's been delayed in NZ, anyone else hear that?
[/b]

not true. gpstore stock arrived in new zealand today so it is on track for release later this week.

<div class='quotemain'>
Heard a rumour it's been delayed in NZ, anyone else hear that?
[/b]

not true. gpstore stock arrived in new zealand today so it is on track for release later this week.
[/b][/quote]

which means i better be able to get my pre-order before thursday

But as for the fielding meter........its perfect, its hard, and its perfect from the demo - if that is sped up maybe its bad, but i cant agree on negatory comments for the fielding n catching, i love it
[/b]

It is very hard... a lot harder than last year, but that is no bad thing - it was far too easy last time, and even under intense pressure, nobody (human players) dropped catches or misfielded.

I can see the harder fielding making some very exciting ends to Human vs Human clashes, as a misfield could easily cause a defeat at the very end of a game, and dropped catches could be massive turning points.

My only problem with it is that catches behind are perhaps too hard, and even once you've mastered the rest of it, I'm sure the majority will still drop a lot of these.

That said, I'm still loving the game, and it has a bright multiplayer career ahead of it...

I cannot ascertain how this is worse than blic05 from some comments[/b]

Fielding/Catching definitely isn't a biggy for me. My problem is that it has taken a step back in terms of gameplay from 2005.
Obviously they've said how can we make this harder on test level and settled for making the batsmen more aggressive. The problem with this is that aggression is bringing both runs and wickets so in a test match you can bowl a team out for 150 off 15 overs.
I'm yet to bowl a maiden on this game or see the computer play a defensive stroke.
Also, as I said in my review, it's attack, attack, attack regardless of the game situation. There's no point trying to play 50 over or test matches against the computer. All I will be doing is playing 10 over games online and offline as the AI behaves the same way there as in a test match.
Also this controller thing is annoying me quite a lot. Because there is no option to remap not only do I have to press right to go left for drift/swing but there's no button for advance shot on my controller.
I had fairly low expectations for the game but I thought they would be able to build on the 2005 gameplay. i.e. sort out bowling speeds, make it harder to hit sixes and make more edges.
As it is they've 'improved' it to the point where the pacing and AI are a complete joke.

I'm not questioning your game playing ability, but I have seen the computer play plenty of defensive strokes and also bowled maidens (with good bowlers) on all skill levels... I agree that the AI is very aggressive, but I think with practice it might be possible to stop it being unfairly so.

Do you have it on PC? I have it on 360, so the controller thing isn't too annoying, but I'd have liked to be able to completely customize the controls...

One thing which I do like is how random it is when you mistime a shot... so you could edge it for a catch, or it could fly off at an obscure angle for a boundary... it feels very realistic and it's nice that you can get caught when playing a 'safe' ground shot...

I am not going to defend the game to the death, because I freely admit there are issues, but I keep coming back to it and can't wait for some multiplayer

on the demo last night i bowled eng out for 6 runs

i took 2 slips catches and caught behind, the rest bowled, or caught deep

took all my chances and completed my goal of bowling them out in 3 overs

was very impresssed with my slips n wicky catching

i cant comment on ai on harder levels, but i can see catching n fielding in all facets a massive turning point - if u get most ur chances - you should win.

for anyone to say the fielding meter is too fast - they are just slow, or crap - its better than auto, just be alert after the pitch for an awkward batting strokes, weird nick sound, and get that finger on a immediately.

the ai pace scares me.......i cant comment on that yet.

i will admit at first u think the fielding meter is a blur.......but its master-able........i have played a good 50 matches on the demo, i aint questioning people abilities at mastering - i question their patience of the lurning curve, whilst other negatives are alerted, and they keep missing the chances.

I agree with the patience thing, AK. Quite often what seems impossible in a game has only been programmed that way because after a few months or even a few weeks of intensive play, it becomes very, very do-able.

In your case it's been days.

People are very adaptable. We often complain about games becoming too easy. If they were harder at the start, then it wouldn't be a problem.

for test games lazy has come up with a patch, well he is testing a patch of some sorts while batting. he dropped every thing except power down by 50% and was able to play a test kinda decent like.

I am looking forward to getting this game and playing aroudn with the the files and such. I am not going to judge til i have played with it and tinkered with some of the settings.

I agree to a point - I am going to keep playing this, and I'm sure I will eventually master catching to the 'bionic thumb' level of my kicking on Rugby 06, but I can see this being a killer for multiplayer if you want to play somebody who has less, or even no experience of the game - they're going to find it very frustrating.

I'm still standing by my decsion that this game is worth putting in the hours for!

got this yesterday

hard to comment but i have had some great moments

the fielding bar is very hard on TESt level - i ramped up to TEST immediately

but late at night started claiming my missed chances, and winning more convincingly

then i met pakistan in the super 8's and they smashed 138 off 10 overs

i got that with an over to spare

havent played a test match yet

but in odi's 10 overs its fun

2 player we all know is an absolute blast

the achievements and bowling n batting trophies will be very fun to get

then i loaded up rapala fishing - got this yesterday swell - if ur a fishermen get on board this is special

i then fell asleep with controller in hand - which is what the rapala n hunting series is all about - chill out

getting virtua tennis today

overall i rate blic/rpic about a 7-8/10 - although i havent played a test match which is where its flawed the most, i cant give it higher than 8, if that is the case - this score may drop.

DEFO KEEPO

i am a cricket tragic and i cant wait to get stuck into the achievements - in fact already got 10 of them.

got a 100, 50, 5-fa, hatrick, the tutorials

but again i do feel blic07 is another multiplayer gem - not much going to be there after i do the ICC ODI modes - if the TESTS are that bad.

Latest posts