• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

BLIC is back for 2007

they seem to be the opposite of what most people have been saying about the game. but I guess this game won't be everyone's cup of tea just like the ea cricket games aren't. I know who I trust though when it comes to cricket and it certainly isn't EA.

Not really impressed with the demo tbh :(

I'll get it anyway just so i can kick some TRF arse on live.

My review copy is in the post so I'll hopefully get it by the end of the week...
Looking forward to trying the whole game.

Hmm, they're out of review copies for now so I'll get the full game instead but have to wait longer.

If this game irons out the annoyances of the last Lara/Ponting game, then it'll be the greatest cricket game ever. At the moment though, I honestly have to say that despite it's own problems EA Cricket '07 is the front runner, it's simply not as bad as the press it gets.

Seriously though, Lara/Ponting only has to improve 3 or four small annoyances and the overtly arcadey game play to blow it away. I'm more than confident that they can do it.

I concur, I dont mind the EA game, it just feels more like cricket where the lara/ponting game feels like a slogfest, but this new game is getting me excited again. Just a 2 more weeks and it should be here, or is it a week, i have no idea when it is coming out here and i have ordered it :)

just noticed if the batsmens bat is in the air but over the crease they arent given for the runout on x360

yeah same on the pc, i like the game you can score in a 360 motion its awesome. though i dont like using the mouse and keyboard its so weird.

looking forward to picking this one up :)

there is minimal fielding in EA........therefore its utter crap

it may have some fundamental better but fielding is the 3rd dimension in cricket

its a triangle

bat, bowl, field

you need them all

BLIC does have issues hopefully ironed out before release

but the fielding is grreat

So, you actually control the fielder? Or do you just stop a meter like in BLIC 2005?

I thought the fielding was extremely repetitive in the last edition. Whats changed?

Please, please be full control.......(crosses fingers)

So, you actually control the fielder? Or do you just stop a meter like in BLIC 2005?

I thought the fielding was extremely repetitive in the last edition. Whats changed?

Please, please be full control.......(crosses fingers)
[/b]

no still a metre
no but has extra dimension of picking which end to throw, and direct hits are possible
a meter for throwing and a meter for catching - mapped to separate buttons....sometime you hit throw, when a catch is on, thinking its going to drop short, only to drop the classic catch

there is no running, or full control

but atleast it works better than EA's effort

slips and keeper catching is NOT auto anymore...you need the reflexes of a cat to get these ones.....
snick.....and within half a second you must hit catch, or its a dropped chance

fielding in this is 10 fold better than BLIC05....you actually need to be alert for nicks, and if you get one, its a pleasant satisfaction.

there is no lottery in BLIC07.............the first cricket game ever, not to have AI auto catch, throw in any given circumstance

i have smashed the demo like 50 times
bowled tham all out already in 3 overs
i need TEST mode.
This game will rock and 1000 gamerpoints WILL be achieved...i wont stop playing this game for a long long time
Bring on next week - screw the PS3....no cricket...no PS3 - thats my motto!!!!!!!!!!!

Just bought it on 360... now just have to wait until after work to play it...

I'll be happy to field any questions, although suspect some people will play it before me. I never played the demo, so I won't be able to comment on any upgrades since then...

I'll write a full review later but it's not looking too good. The pacing is terrible (computer 158ao in 14 overs in a test match) and batting is still too easy.
Online play would be a redeeming feature but I can't seem to configure my firewall properly...

This is a really tough one, as there are some parts of this game which I love and some which just don't quite reach the same standard. I feel anything I write at this stage may be a little subject to change, as I have not had the game long, and really WANT to like it, so perhaps may overlook things that would turn into major problems later on.

I have heard criticism of the graphics, but I actually find them pretty easy on the eye and a pretty nice style. Some of the character models are great, although this only really extends to the faces ('Sluggo' Leverock is a fraction of the size he should be for example). They all animate nicely too and overall the presentation is not too bad at all in a fun way. But that's not why you would buy or play a cricket game, so let's look at the gameplay...

The bowling is very solid indeed, and very satisfying when you take a wicket at higher skill levels, especially when you send the stumps flying emphatically out of the ground. Batting is also enjoyable, although both are far too easy on the lower skill levels, and you'll want to crank it up early to enjoy the game. Neither discipline has changed too much from the last game, although fast bowlers no longer bowl such looping deliveries, and the pace of deliveries has been made far more realistic, as has the potential swing which can be applied.

One thing that has been changed is the fielding. Now there was not a lot wrong with this on the last outing, and it is slightly exasperating that they seem to have made the catching and throwing meters up to 'jedi' skill level - I guarantee you plenty of misfields and dropped catches when you first start playing. Whilst I have now just about managed to achieve respectable skills in both, I still drop the majority of catches in the slips or at wicket keeper - only a fully trained ninja pumped full of red bull will be able to take these regularly. So whilst it's great to now be able to throw to either the bowler or keeper end, you may find it very frustrating that you'll miss some golden catching and run out opportunities, which at the higher levels won't come too often at all.

With regard to the AI, it no longer goes on random bouts of hitting any delivery for 6, and likewise does not give up easy wickets on higher skill levels. It also bowls pretty well and is much harder to hit for boundaries on anything above 'village' level. So on a ball for ball basis, it's a lot more competitive this time around. I'm yet to play any test matches or really long games, so pacing could be an issue, but it's good fun for a quick game.

To sum up, the game certainly isn't a huge leap forward. That said, in MOST areas it's an improvement, and I've certainly enjoyed playing it so far. Some may be put off by the difficulty of fileding, but I think it is something which can be mastered with practice - I've already improved dramatically in a day or two. The important thing is that I WANT to get better, which indicates that I must be enjoying the game, despite mixed emotions about it.

I'm sure I've left loads out, so feel free to fire questions...

Latest posts