• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bok Tri-Nations Squad

This should be in the TriNations section. Be concerned about the Autumn internationals first. Yes, that's right. The June window will be called the Autumn internationals henceforth seeing as it is played in the SH and the TriNations teams still top the rankings (although I expect the Frogs have other ideas). We will call the end of year games the 'other Autumn internationals'.

This should be in the TriNations section. Be concerned about the Autumn internationals first. Yes, that's right. The June window will be called the Autumn internationals henceforth seeing as it is played in the SH and the TriNations teams still top the rankings (although I expect the Frogs have other ideas). We will call the end of year games the 'other Autumn internationals'.
Seconded.

Also, good to know that Brussouw is still in the mix, though rather unfortunate due to the injury.

Ja he's brilliant. He's injured. He'll miss the rest of the year. He's deffinitely not dropped.

Will he be as good though with the new rules at the breakdown, isn't the main weapon in his arsenal his ability to turn over ball.

He played great games against the Sharks and Hurricanes before he hurt himself

Fourie Du Preez is out for the rest of the year. Great.

Enter Ricky Januarie...

Unfortunately

There may be a hope that PdV is viewing Januarie as a 2nd string player, him being involved in the Wales Test and all.

Here are South African hookers in order:
1. Schalk Brits
2.Gary Botha
3. Tiaan Liebenberg
4. Bismarck du Plessis
5. Adriaan Strauss
6. John Smit!

Why oh why then is there the perception amongst all professional and recognised SA rugby 'experts' that Bismark is the best hooker SA has?
And if Smit is Kak, then why is he sixth on your list?

Why oh why then is there the perception amongst all professional and recognised SA rugby 'experts' that Bismark is the best hooker SA has?
And if Smit is Kak, then why is he sixth on your list?

Bismarck du Plessis is only rated highly because he can tackle. He clearly has not adjusted to the new break down laws as he gives away more penalties then anyone I've ever seen. He is incapable of throwing the ball straight in the line-out and stands up in the scrum so often!

Do you think 6th on the list is a good thing to be?

Bismarck du Plessis is only rated highly because he can tackle. He clearly has not adjusted to the new break down laws as he gives away more penalties then anyone I've ever seen. He is incapable of throwing the ball straight in the line-out and stands up in the scrum so often!

Do you think 6th on the list is a good thing to be?

If he is so kak then why are players like Fourie, Maku and the other reserves not ahead of him?

P.S. I cannot recall many skwiff throws by Bismark, and he is a very, very good ball carrier, also I dont see him being penalised for standing up

If he is so kak then why are players like Fourie, Maku and the other reserves not ahead of him?

P.S. I cannot recall many skwiff throws by Bismark, and he is a very, very good ball carrier, also I dont see him being penalised for standing up

Obviously you don't actually watch rugby then

I don't agree that his lineout throws are always skew. But, what i do agree with is the amount of penalties he gives away for 'hands in the ruck' 'not listening to the ref' 'high tackles' and foul play. Bismark is a dirty player. Can't stand dirty players. He is a good ball carrier though. But still, i also rate Schalk Brits as our best 2. Another one to watch out for is Deon Fourie, and young Craig Burden. Both i rate as great up coming hookers.

Hi all,

(wanna-be) rugbwriter here from S.A. Am keen to join the community here on this forum. I'm very interested to know what some people would have as their Springbok 36-man squad. Here's mine: (Over-seas players included. Injured players excluded)

1. CJ van der Linde
2. Schalk Brits
3. BJ Botha
4. Andries Bekker (Sick of Bakkies giving away penalties and getting suspended. Bekker deserves his spot)
5. Victor Matfield
6. Schalk Burger
7. Francois Louw
8. Pierre Spies
9. Fourie du Preez
10. Morne Steyn
11. Bryan Habana
12. Jean de Villiers
13. Jaques Fourie
14. Gerhard van den Heever
15. Frans Steyn
16. John Smit
17. Bakkies Botha
18. Danie Rossouw
19. Sarel Pretorious
20. Butch James
21. Wynand Olivier
22. Riaan Viljoen

23. Francois Hougaard
24. Gio Aplon
25. Joe Pietersen
26. Peter Grant
27. Dewaldt Potgieter
28. Wiaan du Preez
29. Gary Botha
30. Ryan Kankowski
31. Dewald Duvenage
32. Jean Deysel
33. Duane Vermulen
34. Tiaan Liebenberg
35. Juan de Jongh
36. Flip van der Merwe

Absolutely brilliant team. 9.5 out of 10. Dewaldt Duvenage i.s.o Sarel and You have to have Ruan on the bench to give you more options as he is more versatile than Riaan Viljoen. Viljoen has a good S14 but Ruan has more experience and as mentioned more versatile. Othewrise brilliant starting line-up.

Rugbywriter:

We all know that PdV will bow down to political pressure and pick players of colour before quality so there go's your beaut of a dream team! He is so darn lucky that he has such quality players to pick from. Imagine what damage SA would do to NZ and OZ if that team you chose started. It would be a dream for all SA fans to finally have a team of full strength.

Last edited:
Rugbywriter:

We all know that PdV will bow down to political pressure and pick players of colour before quality so there go's your beaut of a dream team! He is so darn lucky that he has such quality players to pick from. Imagine what damage SA would do to NZ and OZ if that team you chose started. It would be a dream for all SA fans to finally have a team of full strength.

First, thanks alot boet. But as most people on this forum will tell you, I'm not the biggest fan of Ruan. See, I just feel that the best player per position should be chosen, not an average guy because he can play more positions. I know Pienaar is a decent scrumhalf but he's quite **** at flyhalf and fullback. I mean you can force any player to play a different position even if he's not good at it - that doesn't make him a utility back. So because Pienaar is a **** flyhalf and he has like 2 caps at fullback that means he's a utility back and he gets to oust guys who have just had amazing S14's?

I fully agree with you on the quota thing though. I know there's no chance my team could ever get chosen. We just have to live with it for now I guess

Nope. Not a chance, PDV is a tool when it comes to selection/management. Brits is probably the best hooker SA has at the moment. Smit is probably 5th choice. The only reason he's even on my bench is because the Sharks fanatics will rip my head off and I don't like fighting/arguing.

Just reading that, either you don't like arguing, or you don't realise you do that pretty much all the time :huh:

And btw, you can't possibly have just one frontrower on the bench

Would just like to add the Francious Houggard has been added to the Bok Tri-Nations squad, after an injury lay-off

That's cool and I like him....but there are better scrumhalves

I know you hate the phrase, but he has been quoted as a utility player, which means that we could see him, pienaar and de Jongh on the bench (if he goes for a 4-3 split)

Another thing, Beast has recieved a SA passport and is clear to play for SA

Last edited: