Paulse
Ashwin Willemse
JP Pieterson
Guthro Steenkamp
Kabamba Floors
Enrico Januarie
Julies

?_?

Sure they may not be the best 15, or make the 22, but theres always room for them in a squad of 30 :p

But all this in the name of political expediency?

Whatever happened to the mantra that "sport and politics do not mix"?

QKXV - good rebuttle, always nice to know that comments make people have a think and come up constructive replies.

I hoped my post would have shown that i sit on the fence on this subject hence the CATCH 22 - damned if you do and damned if you dont.

In a perfect world the best 30 players head to the cup from each country, id like to think that noone will be discriminated against for race/ethnicity but sadly the world isnt perfect and it is possible that some will be discriminated against.

Truly equal will never happen, until we can spend a lifetime in someone elses skin then truly equal is a throw away comment to be all PC about it.

Sorry for the Rant, im not RSA and only base my views on an outside looking in view, which is about as ignorant as one could be i suppose.

Good luck with the Equality Buzz in RSA.

Kabamba Floors will sound good in RWC commentary. What about those sevens guys - I know it doesn't equate, but aren't any of them potential Boks? Excuse my ignorance.

And Prestwick: how depressing to expect that SA politics will descend to Rhodesian levels. People are worth nothing if they're not given a chance, and the surest way to deny them a chance is to assume they are in fact worth nothing. Maybe your pessimism is reasonable. But the people have their votes in SA, and Chinese investment may do more for them than Britain, France and USA. Something will happen, and let SA lead the way.

[/b]

This Mantra is very naive, so just forget it, just like the former one "Sport and money do not mix".

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

This Mantra is very naive, so just forget it, just like the former one "Sport and money do not mix".
[/b][/quote]

Thats alright then! Can you go to Dubai and tell the International Cricket Council to drop the sports & politics mantra too so we won't get fined for refusing to tour nations whose regeimes commit numerous human rights abuses, etc (i.e. Zimbabwe).

Actually, while you're at it, can you go to the Elysee Palace and tell Jaques Chirac to stop breaking the EU travel embargo on Zimbabwe ofificals when he inisists on inviting Mugabe and his cronies to Paris for his gatherings of 3rd world tin pot dictators?

QKXV - good rebuttle, always nice to know that comments make people have a think and come up constructive replies.

I hoped my post would have shown that i sit on the fence on this subject hence the CATCH 22 - damned if you do and damned if you dont.

In a perfect world the best 30 players head to the cup from each country, id like to think that noone will be discriminated against for race/ethnicity but sadly the world isnt perfect and it is possible that some will be discriminated against.

Truly equal will never happen, until we can spend a lifetime in someone elses skin then truly equal is a throw away comment to be all PC about it.

Sorry for the Rant, im not RSA and only base my views on an outside looking in view, which is about as ignorant as one could be i suppose.

Good luck with the Equality Buzz in RSA.
[/b]

Good stuff mate, all in the name of good conversation, there's honestly no ill feelings in it, I have to admit the whole political theme took me over when I wrote that little speech - thanks for your vote Dumbo. By reading some of the posts here it is clear that this topic and the wider topic of politics in sport overall has defenitly struck a nerve, and there's a clear message for politicians here....O dear there I go again...

Have a good easter weekend all.

But do they expect to beat the ABs by kicking the ball away? We'll see what happens over the summer.

they have shown before, in last years tri nations, that the AB's can be beaten if you can turn their back three and prevent them counter-attacking.

Or to pin them back in their 22 for most of the match, if you try and keep the ball in your own half then they will turn you over and score tries... at least if they are stuck in their 22 they have to go the whole length to score.

Jerry Collins does that like it's a training run - trots out of his 22 with the ball and SMACK! - a few pop passes and its seven points.

I take the point about SA in the Tri-N - gives a sliver of hope. But France tried kicking it away on both occasions in November and got a right lesson in counter-attack from deep.

Ireland's game against Aus in November was interesting, because the boys in green just kept the ball for 35 mins in the first half - up front, in tight, out wide - and in the second half they pinned them back in their own 22. So, combination of both strategies.

France and SA may have enough strength to keep the ball away from the ABs backrow - but they both seem set on kicking it long as well.

France just kicked it away though, they rarely got it behind the back three so they had to turn under pressure from a good chase.... thats the way to beat the AB's but i can't see anyone doing it at the world cup, because i don't think any team has the right mix of talent and consistancy to keep it up for more than 40 mins at a time.

I see Pretorius as the key for S.A to dismantle the AB's. If his kicks into the AB 22 actually roll into touch then the Springboks have a very good chance. Matfield and Botha putting pressure on the AB lineout......

But the best way to stop the counter-attack is keep the ball.
[/b]

exactly why you wouldn't want a speedster like habana kicking the ball away aimlessly

Habana doesn't kick, so that's alright then.

Is Chris Jack in trouble for the ABs? I saw a report he had a serious knee injury.

Phew, first thing I`d like to add is that , under the correct circumstances, sport and politics should absolutely mix- as it did during the apartheid years, and as it should now, by excluding Zimbabwe from all ICC events. But we are talking exceptional circumstances here- and there are none of those in the current political situation in the new South Africa.

Look, I believe firmly in transformation in especially rugby, but it should be a natural process, with the necessary support at grassroots level, as already suggested by DNAPlay. Forcing the issue does nobody any good, certainly not the national team, and certainly not the player forced to national duty when he`s not ready for it yet. Anybody remember Mfuneko Ngam and Victor Mpitsang, both highly talented fast bowlers, forced into the national frame too early, and losing their promising careers because of it?

Furthermore, I believe that mr Komphela is just doing what comes naturally to any politician, be it a SA, US or French politician- he`s trying to make a name for himself, score some brownie points and position himself for a nice little promotion come the next ANC general assembly. Think about it- how many people have even heard about Butana Komphela a week ago, and now his comments are being discussed by an international audience on TRF!

Actually, I`ll have 8 players of colour- and all on merit- in my World Cup 30-man squad, injuries permitting. I`ll have Habana, Pietersen and Guthro Steenkamp in my starting 15, and also Paulse, one of the Ndunganes, Floors, January and a fully fit Ralepelle in my squad. Now, I`m not saying that Jake White will see things in the same light, but if he does, won`t it look like a great victory for a certain mr. Komphela, who`ll be able to claim that he used his considerable influence to secure such a deal, when in fact all of these players would have been chosen, fully on merit IMO, in any event, even without threats made?

I actually believe comments like this will do more harm than good to the players concerned- how many players of colour will be chosen, fully on merit, and be considered "quota players" because of a stupid comment made for personal political gain. Pick the best available players- and IMO it just so happens that there are quite a few so-called players of colour who fits the bill as best available.