• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Booze Thread

Lads, there's a four euro bottle of wine in Tesco. Disgusting price. Will report back later with details.

Heh!! There is a 1.75 euro bottle of Cote de Rhone in Geant supermarkets in France and it is Grrrrrreeeaaattttttt!!!!!

Was it this?
XNwLS3D.jpg

I'm not a wine drinker but keep trying to get my friends to try it. It just looks so.....****ty.

When we were in France over the summer we found a crappy little super market that was selling €1 bottles of wine. It was probably mostly anti-freeze, but seemed to do the job.

I did not know that existed. I've never seen that before.

I'm near certain we don't have that. Lidl have silly beer prices on their own stuff actually.

You could buy a 6 pack of that sttuff for around €2 out in Germany. Wasn't great, especially compared to proper German stuff (which is dirt cheap in itself) but it was OK in a pinch!

Last edited:
You can fill a litre of wine in the south of France for 60-80p (bring your own container), but it's mainly used for cooking. I drink it although the head hurts afterwards and you wouldn't keep it longer than a week. But even a decent wine would be 4-5 euros. A nice chablis is still like 10-12 euros but over here would be 20+. The French are spoilt when it comes to wine but on the flip side the beer is expensive and the bottles are small.

Costs about £3 for a litre of the swill.

A (given that it comes in a carton) staggering £3.95! I wouldn't mind betting that it's the same stuff as the own brand cheap Spanish red that comes in at £2.99 a bottle - slightly more expensive per ml, but hang the expense, for that price, I'll pay £2.99 and get a free bottle! Cheap reds can be a risk, but Mrs RedruthRFC occasionally picks up a bottle of rose (imagine an acute accent) from the same range, it's perfectly drinkable (when you stumble in from the pub and there's nothing else in the house).

Based on a previous thread, I thought everyone here just drank tea. ;)

That said, I do like my wine. A glass at night, either with dinner or just to sip while reading a book. Sometimes a good hard cider, or a nice Islay single malt. All depending on my mood. I don't have more than one drink a night, on average.

But the last three weeks I haven't had a thing due to a medication I was taking. Know what? I feel REALLY good. Not sure if it's the medication (antibiotic), or the fact that my liver hasn't had to deal with alcohol. And I don't drink that much, so now I'm wondering if my system just can't handle it. :(

Welll...there's always tea!

:p

das

I'm a tea lover during the office hours, water as well. When I go out some decent Belgian beers or a crisp cider. When chilling a nice G&T or a some Scottish gold. Now I'm looking more into rum :)

Based on a previous thread, I thought everyone here just drank tea. ;)

That said, I do like my wine. A glass at night, either with dinner or just to sip while reading a book. Sometimes a good hard cider, or a nice Islay single malt. All depending on my mood. I don't have more than one drink a night, on average.

But the last three weeks I haven't had a thing due to a medication I was taking. Know what? I feel REALLY good. Not sure if it's the medication (antibiotic), or the fact that my liver hasn't had to deal with alcohol. And I don't drink that much, so now I'm wondering if my system just can't handle it. :(

Welll...there's always tea!

:p

das
oh how that use to be a fun thread to post on ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Costs about £3 for a litre of the swill.
Well its everyday value, even though i still think its overpriced to when i last decided to buy one.

So I've just received a bottle of Breton whisky for my birthday, to go with the Pennsylvanian Rye I also got. About to crack it open, will let you guys know details later.

Shared a bottle of LaPhraoig 10 at a wedding last night with two cousins. I might never get the taste out of my mouth but that's not necessarily a bad thing, beautiful stuff altogether.

Interesting thread!
A couple of comments: the temperature is not always style specific. The popular rule of thumb "lagers cold, ales not so much" is just plain wrong.
Weizen beers (ales) are oftenly served cold.
Guinness (an ale) is served cold.
Several bock beers (most lagers) are suggested to be consumed at room temperature.
A LOT of the IPAs (Ales) are suggested to be served cold.

Walk into a a proper belgian bar and ask for a Trappist or a Belgian Tripel/Quad and more often than not, you'll be asked if you want it cold or at room temperature (some purists will not like it, but consumption is quite evenly divided).

What is true, is that cold tends to numb (a bit) the tongue and nose, so complex beers (Quads, high abv stouts, etc.) are suggested to be consumed at room temperature in order to fully appreciate the flavours and aromas.

hth

Last edited:
But seriously, I have always wondered why the folk up there in the British Isles drink their beer warm? Is it because you've never tasted it cold?

There's nothing more refreshing than an Ice Cold Beer on a hot summer's day...

That would be soft southerners. We like ours ice cold

Latest posts