• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Booze Thread

Couple more to recommend:

Timothy Taylor's Boltmaker. Only had the bottle version, but read the draught version won the CAMRA Supreme beer champion a couple of years ago.

St. Austell's Proper Job. This is bottle conditioned beer, so yeast is added to it so it continues fermenting in the bottle.

Having a pint of old brewery bitter from a Samuel Smith pub in London which cost me £2.90. Unbelievable that you can still get a pint in London for less than £3. Just find real ale more tasty and less gassy than lager.

I absolutely love their chocolate stout. Ironically, I only tasted it when in the States and I found it bottled...

Mrs OH and I are working our way through our first bottle of Nyetimber and enjoying it.

Having a nice bottle of Erdinger Weissbier. The Germans do know how to make good beer.

I have a bottle of Camino Roja , of which I used half to cook lamb shanks in, to finish!

£5.50 at your favourite supermercado and very good were the lamb shanks and is the remainder of the wine!!

Last edited:
If you like real cider, Sandford Orchards - Devon Red is some of the nicest non-homemade scrumpy I've ever had. You wouldn't want a belly full of it for obvious reasons but it goes down very nicely. Not sure if they are marketing it up country yet but I know they were planning to soon.

I feel like in South Africa the commercial beer market is almost completely dominated by lagers (served cold) and the occasional stout (also served cold).
Recently however their has been a rash of craft beers popping up everywhere which are mostly Ale's, personally I find them almost universally too fruity but that could be because I'm used to lager.
Should I power though, is it a taste one can acquire?

Pretty much the only other beverages I partake in are dry reds (with my folks, girlfriend and girlfriend's parents) or gin and tonics on Sunday (often the only thing I can keep down after the cumulative two day hangover).

Last edited:
Take a tortilla, spread with tomato paste and harrisa. Add grated cheese (mixture of three hard cheeses good) and place chorizo and anything else you fancy!

Stick on a plancha and open a beer........no other way to have a "pizza"!!!

If you like real cider, Sandford Orchards - Devon Red is some of the nicest non-homemade scrumpy I've ever had. You wouldn't want a belly full of it for obvious reasons but it goes down very nicely. Not sure if they are marketing it up country yet but I know they were planning to soon.

At just 4.5%, I wouldn't be too worried about having a belly full of it. I'll keep en eye out, but it'll have to be pretty special to tempt me away from Rattler.

Take a tortilla, spread with tomato paste and harrisa. Add grated cheese (mixture of three hard cheeses good) and place chorizo and anything else you fancy!

Stick on a plancha and open a beer........no other way to have a "pizza"!!!

Haha! Wrong thread!!! Sorry chaps....

At just 4.5%, I wouldn't be too worried about having a belly full of it. I'll keep en eye out, but it'll have to be pretty special to tempt me away from Rattler.

Its not so much the alcohol content, its just that its fairly rough. Its not farmyard scrumpy that comes out the next day kicking and screaming, but it can make your guts feel a bit ... unusual. Low (or high??) pH and all that. Dont let that put you off though! I know you Kernow boys and girls make some good scrumpy but I tend to avoid Rattler to be honest. Did they make it sweeter? Im sure I remember it being more unpleasant back along. Sandford Orchards do another sweeter fizzy cider called Shakey Bridge which is a bit like Rattler but less alcohol content. Very easy to drink in the summer!

A Bottle of Caledonian Deuchars IPA. Highly recommended!!!

just been given a superb pressie, Company called 'le petite mousse", 19.90€'s per month and every month you get 6x 33cl. different beers from all over Europe, the gift lasts for 6 months and is obviously renewable. they give you loads of info on the beers and you can fill in a test form to give your own recommendations (or not) for each beer, most of the beers are from 6% to 11% so fairly strong stuff. Excellent father's day, birthday, or Xmas pressie.

Went to my local clubs beer and cider festival today, some of my highlights were

Darksider by Lilley's Cider - very nice, bit sweet for some tastes but very flavoursome and drinkable
Lemon and Ginger Cider by Lilley's - also a nice, if you like Alcoholic Ginger Beer youd like this
Devil's Device by Mr Whiteheads - bit dry for my tastes, a bit strong but reckon it would be better with food
Welah Warrior by Gwynt y Ddraig - nice but nothing really out of the ordinary, think Thatchers and you're about there

Latest posts