• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Booze Thread

I used to be able to get £1 pints in the students union not even 10 year ago...
Yeh but I bet it was "****". By that I mean watered down/ with loads of fizz. ;)
Rage - See you've now got to that "Uncle Albert" stage of life reminiscing about the good old days of when things were cheaper - welcome to getting old.:p

Pints pre lock down - cask ale were generally about £4-5 in Central London.

I recall going to HK 7s more than 10 years ago and they were selling pints back then for £8. But mainly attended by corporate bankers and lawyers who didn't care two hoots how much they were paying. Plus alcohol in HK is bloody expensive anyway.

It's relevant to where you are for me. If I drink in brum then it's £5+ a pint but in the local social clubs and rugby clubs it's still under £4 a pint.

Last edited:
Ale and rum are my general choices.

My usual ales are Abbot, Doom Bar (good session ale) and Wadworth 6X when I can get it. Rum, I usually go for Kraken or Dead Man's Fingers, as they are reliably available.

Ale and rum are my general choices.

My usual ales are Abbot, Doom Bar (good session ale) and Wadworth 6X when I can get it. Rum, I usually go for Kraken or Dead Man's Fingers, as they are reliably available.
johnny depp alcohol GIF

Gone beyond the €7 point in the centre of Dublin now. Ridiculous

Bargain compared to Stockholm where we were last weekend. In the hotel we paid just shy of £20 for 2 draft beers of maybe 400 ml each. Bottle of Sancerre was around £67. No wonder they're all so boringly grown up over there!

If they started selling Strong Zero/other delicious chūhai cans abroad then I could single-handedly keep the Japanese alcohol industry in business

Had this one in Tokyo that when you open it the can slightly compresses/crinkles to have a pattern all over it - kiwi juice and shōchū, every sip was instant heartburn (kiwi juice is insanely acidic) but it was very very tasty

If they started selling Strong Zero/other delicious chūhai cans abroad then I could single-handedly keep the Japanese alcohol industry in business

Had this one in Tokyo that when you open it the can slightly compresses/crinkles to have a pattern all over it - kiwi juice and shōchū, every sip was instant heartburn (kiwi juice is insanely acidic) but it was very very tasty
I'd never heard of these, but they look good. Maybe it's because I live in a rural backwater, but this country's seltzer type drink game seems terrible compared to other's. I've been following a low carb diet for the last couple of months, so pretty much the only booze I've had is gin / vodka and low cal tonic. A bit more variety would be nice.

Well, apart from that, and the destruction of the small local pub industry - the Tim Martin handling of furlough, and post pandemic return to work "I'm not furloughing staff, let them go and work for Tesco!" And "Why don't any of the staff we told to ***k off to Tesco want to come back to us. And why can't we get any European staff having told them all to ***k off out of the country - don't they know we need dirt cheap labor?"

Yeh I don't go into a 'Spoons anymore. A few good memories of drinking in my local one way back from uni days.

But yeh more pubs are just going to close down and further erode the fabric of local communities.

78986A33-5DBE-4447-A64C-64265599F603.jpeg

Nice pint of Thornbridge Jaipur IPA, albeit from a Spoons. But can't complain at £3.69. Lovely lacing, which I think is a sign of a good quality beer.

Doing sober October so have sampled a few 0alc. Beers. The best is Erdinger by far, heineken, moretti and Guinness are all palatable.

It makes you realise the effect 2 beers have on you though because I'd never drink more than two of the 0.0s. Can't say the same about the real stuff...