• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Booze Thread

I do recommend this one. You can probably find it in Morrisons if you don't wanna buy 12 and just wanna try it. Managed to get them for £1 a bottle. Only 61 calories and gluten free. I like it as it's closest to taste of pale ale and also I don't get flushed drinking it.
Failed link syndrome?

What about non-alcoholic fruity ciders? Though I guess they just become sugar...

What about non-alcoholic fruity ciders? Though I guess they just become sugar...
Personally, I'm not a fan of alcoholic fruity ciders - but I accept that I seem to be in a minority on that.
They absolutely have a place in this discussion though.
Ali likes the brother's toffee apple alcohol-free cider.

Going back to the low/free alcohol swaps; I've now sampled all the options available at Morrisons (without buying a dozen).

Guiness 0.0 - is nice, and tastes kinda Guinness-like, perfectly acceptable as is. I've found that having an actual Guinness first, means I can then have 3-4 0.0s without a problem (useful during the 6N)
Big Drop Brewing Co. Stout - probably nicer than the Guinness one, but weirdly, doesn't work as well following a real Guinness.

Erdinger Alkoholfrei Alcohol Free Wheat Beer - IMO, comfortably the best of the beers I've tried - it actually tastes like... lager. Perfectly acceptable alternative
Brooklyn Special Effects Alcohol Free Lager Beer - It's a reasonable soft drink in its own right; but not really an alternative to lager.
Northern Monk Alcohol Free Holy Faith Hazy Pale Ale - It's a reasonable soft drink in its own right; but not really an alternative to lager.
Doom Bar Zero Amber Ale - This was disappointing, as I like proper Doom Bar - it's okay, but... I guess it's more beery than the Brooklyn, Northern Monk or Big Drop, but... I guess I expected more.
Big Drop Brewing Co. Pale Ale - It's a reasonable drink in its own right, but you've got to like the taste of pine needles.
St Peters Without Gold Alcohol Free Beer - WTF is this travesty?

Morrisons Low Alcohol Cider Bottle – Tastes like British Cider - perfectly acceptable alternative.
Stowford Press Low Alcohol Apple Cider - Tastes like French Cider - it's okay, but it's missing something, for me at least.
Brothers Alcohol Free Various Toffee Apple / Fruity Ciders - Tastes pretty similar to the alcoholic versions, sugar and artificial flavourings. If you like the full versions, you'll like these.

Last edited:
Guiness 0.0 - is nice, and tastes kinda Guinness-like, perfectly acceptable as is. I've found that having an actual Guinness first, means I can then have 3-4 0.0s without a problem (useful during the 6N)
It's so close to the original but for the slightly sweet aftertaste, which does change it for me instead of the bitterness from the hops brewed with the alcoholic version.

I noticed that my bottle of Hobgoblin had shrinkflated a few months ago. Seems it isn't the only one. Anyone know enough about duty and / or brewing to explain how this makes more money for the brewery?

I noticed that my bottle of Hobgoblin had shrinkflated a few months ago. Seems it isn't the only one. Anyone know enough about duty and / or brewing to explain how this makes more money for the brewery?
Well the duty goes up on 1 August, so make it weaker then reduce the duty being charged, reduce costs but keep the price per unit the same and pocket the profit.

Well the duty goes up on 1 August, so make it weaker then reduce the duty being charged, reduce costs but keep the price per unit the same and pocket the profit.
(Google and) I just answered my question re: the duty, in my example of a 500ml bottle of Hobgoblin shrinking from 5.2% to 5%, the duty would be reduced by 1.908p.

In terms of the product cost, would the saving come from needing fewer carbs as less alcohol needs to be created? By the added efficiency of a reduction in brewing time? Both? Something else?

(Google and) I just answered my question re: the duty, in my example of a 500ml bottle of Hobgoblin shrinking from 5.2% to 5%, the duty would be reduced by 1.908p.
And 20% VAT on top? It soon adds up per bottle
In terms of the product cost, would the saving come from needing fewer carbs as less alcohol needs to be created? By the added efficiency of a reduction in brewing time? Both? Something else?
I would think using Fewer Hops, less Barley, yeast and energy costs to brew and make the alcoholic content.

Last edited:
I would think using Fewer Hops, less Barley, yeast and energy costs to brew and make the alcoholic content.
Continuing the Hobgoblin example, I'd be surprised if removing a single millilitre of water is going to alter the flavour sufficiently to change the amount of hops required.

Moderation v abstinence.
I would say like that: moderation for those who have a willpower and abstinence (from any bad habit, actually,not only alcohol drinking) for those who don't have it.
The article was interesting to read, I enjoyed it

Latest posts