• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Booze Thread

My tastes in drinks are very much dependant on the temperature outside as SA has an 'el fresco' culture. I like a 'heavy' glass of red on cool days or with evening meals/braais/potjies. A glass of well aged brandy after dinner or with biltong. Chilled Chardonnay on warmer days in the day time but if it is scorching all I want is an icy freezing cold Weissbier (which I find the most refreshing and drinkable ice cold). If I'm drinking and not eating it's Ardbeg for me, please. Or (rarely nowadays..) if I'm in a hurry a few shots tequila.

It disgusts me though how expensive it is to have a few drinks in Europe. For what you pay for one glass I can buy two bottles of good local red down here. Even the most hipsterish spots here where only the newest craft beers are available you won't have to pay more than 3 Euro for a draft (and it would be considered a total rip off by anyone without the need to impress).

Last edited:
Fair enough.

I the Summer I drink lager and white wine. In the Winter I drink lager, red wine and whiskey. On holiday, I drink whatever I can, but I have to say I'm a sucker for a long island ice tea or a Mojito...

As noted by others, we do drink a lot of lager or cider fairly chilled in the summer, but traditional British beers are mostly not designed for that. Lager is still very much imports and horse urine here.

Anyway, on another note, I think my spirits collection reached 30 bottles the other day.

Victoria Bitter when in Australia Steinlager or VB again when in NZ. Not many bourban & cola drinkers on here is it not popular up north? Seems to be the most popular drink out my way for teens and people my age(26).. Room temperature beer = a cheap night out for me as I would only be able to stomach half a drink before I give up. What's the go to drink when you guys have had a good run and a pocket full of cash? Gotta be jäger bombs or grey goose for me.

[video]https://youtu.be/b4tazMq6SA0[/video]
Pretty much says it all!

On a night out with a pocket full of cash I'd always go for gin and tonic! They go down so easy and there isn't a fear of getting sick off them!

I do enjoy Jameson whiskey on ice but there is most certainly a time and a place for that as I found out a few months ago...

If I was drinking beer I'd usually go for a pale ale, Smithwicks do a decent one but the best would be a Galway Hooker which is a craft beer that is available in a lot of places in Dublin and Galway anyway. Guinness as well and for a cheap night out Dunnes stores do 6 cans of 12% **** for €10, does the job very well with at least one remainder.

But seriously, I have always wondered why the folk up there in the British Isles drink their beer warm? Is it because you've never tasted it cold?

There's nothing more refreshing than an Ice Cold Beer on a hot summer's day...

As a rule. Lager is cold.
Stout and ale is warmer.

Vodka, tastes nice with mixer, no hangover the next day but still get the desired effects.

If I'm in a pub, probably the cheapest lager, generally Heineken.

BG8 literally drinks a sip of vodka then falls asleep on the nearest couch. This is apparently the desired effect.

Always surpises me when people say "X spirit is great, doesn't get you hungover at all!"
You're clearly not drinking enough of it, in that case.
I know Americans can't drink, but i expect better from the Irish.

Always surpises me when people say "X spirit is great, doesn't get you hungover at all!"

Haha! yeah exactly.

The thing that gives me the worst hangover is Tequila or Jagermeister.

Ah, takes me back to my bachelors party...

Most of a hangovers effects surely come from dehydration? It's more of a problem with beer. Maybe saying no hangovers is a slight exaggeration but I never get a headache if I'm just on vodka at most I get the shakes somewhat the next day. I'm definitely drinking enough.

Last edited:

I'd agree, you're going to get a hangover if you're ****** enough! Mixing spirits always kills me, usually happens if someone buys me a few shots. Nothing like having a hangover two days after a night out having been bed bound the day before, alcohol poisoning at its best!

Red Horse or San Miguel (tiger if neither available) in Asia, Speights in NZ, over here a trip to Lidl :D or in a pub I'll have a Guinness or Smithwicks. Asahi or Sapporo beers I really like but they're a bit pricey. My hangovers are pretty ****ing awful these days so I tend to avoid binging on spirits.

What, like right now?
Just saw how badly I phrased that.
No I mean just at this age. The age of Aldi red wine.

I hadn't drank wine since the Christmas incident. Nor have I touched Jameson since a fateful night before the Ospreys match we went to.

I never got hangovers until a fateful evening in early 2008 where a mate ane me decided we would go to the SU and watch the Superbowl. Greeting us was a sign saying 10 pint Snakebite and Black Pitchers were £12.

Fast forward 3 hours and after many pints of the stuff my mate is asked to leave after attempting a crowd surf. I leave soon after not sure where I am going. Wake up next afternoon with mud all down my jeans, contents of wallet strewn all over my room and the worst hagover ever. It lasted almost 2 days. We reckoned we'd had at least 12 pints each of the stuff by the end. Ever since I can't even smell the stuff without feeling queasy.

Lads, there's a four euro bottle of wine in Tesco. Disgusting price. Will report back later with details.

Latest posts