• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Booze Thread

Schneider Weisse Aventinus. It's 8.2% ABV Weizen Dopplebock I didn't enjoy this as much as the weihenstephaner Vitus.

@The_Blindside You have inspired me to try and for the fun of it review more beers, craft beer is the most exotic option we have here, if not going the commercial route.

I am really keen to try those german Weiss beers you posted videos about and describe and I have gone to a number of different bottle stores here since the alcohol ban ended to try and find that Weiphensteiner Vitus or even some of the other, I especially like the fact that you say its a high alcohol content but can't really taste it. I can't find any of them in South Africa even at the poshest of Bottle stores. It will be too expensive for me to import it myself, so I hope I can get a supplier very soon.

So I have at least tried some new beers in the last few weeks, here are my best attempts at making the photo look good and giving a basic review on them.

First Up!

1. Jack Black Atlantic Weiss
Rating 7.5 out of 10. Did not like it after the first one, but now I really like it. It has a classic Weiss taste and feel but the emphasis here is the fruitiness of the beer. There is a slight hint of orange and it tastes very nice actually.
GetAttachmentThumbnail

Last edited:
2. Stellenbrau Craven craft lager
3 OUT OF 10
Its intentions are good but the flavour and intensity is severely lacking, flavour profile sucked.
GetAttachmentThumbnail

3. Devils Peak Golden Ale
6 out of 10

A nice and easy refreshment. Not going to win awards but capable of doing the job and pleasing the consumer. The flavour profile is good, but its light so if light beers are not your thing then stay away. Otherwise its great for something quick and light after a long days work, while still maintaining that exciting pandoras box that is craft beer

GetAttachmentThumbnail

Lovely pics Unrated. Shame you can't get the German hefewiezens/weizenbocks like Vitus. Yeh not worth importing if it's going to cost too much. Even I have to think twice before I buy at £3.68 a bottle over here compared to the usual £1.85 for the usual Weihenstephaner Hefeweizens you can get in the supermarkets over here. And I'll only get a few as part of batch of German beers to make it worth my while.

I usually love going to a country and sampling their locally brewed beers. So will definitely take a note of beers you posted up if I visit SA.

And Alcohol is banned again with immediate effect. I did not even stock up. I'm such an idiot for not believing the rumours that the government might ban alcohol again. Been telling people don't believe rumours, wait for official sources. Then the official source bans alcohol on a Sunday night, not giving anyone the chance to stock up if they wait for official sources. My rigid devotion to official sources is biting me in the ass

And Alcohol is banned again with immediate effect. I did not even stock up. I'm such an idiot for not believing the rumours that the government might ban alcohol again. Been telling people don't believe rumours, wait for official sources. Then the official source bans alcohol on a Sunday night, not giving anyone the chance to stock up if they wait for official sources. My rigid devotion to official sources is biting me in the ass

Yup, that was a very low blow. but I see the winemakers are now taking them to court about this recent ban.

Luckily for me, my brother is in charge of the local golf club's bar so we were lucky enough to stock up from their fridges, at a price...

Can I please ask you guys, those who can, to buy South African Wines and support our local Wine Farmers. It's dire here, and the whole industry could collapse if this Alcohol Ban in SA continues. Their only source of revenue is the sales abroad.

I see a lot of people are posting about this on social media.

Can I please ask you guys, those who can, to buy South African Wines and support our local Wine Farmers. It's dire here, and the whole industry could collapse if this Alcohol Ban in SA continues. Their only source of revenue is the sales abroad.

I see a lot of people are posting about this on social media.

Not a wine drinker, but still looking for something new to try. Which particular South African wine would you recommend/most renound for? Will look next time I am in the supermarket.

Not a wine drinker, but still looking for something new to try. Which particular South African wine would you recommend/most renound for? Will look next time I am in the supermarket.

That depends entirely on you.

This website gives a pretty good indication on which wines are available in the UK, and where you can buy them:

Received a crate of 15 different British Lagers as a gift today,
Not a craft beer drinker by any stretch of the imagination - so will be interesting to see how I get on with these.
Some look interesting (key lime flavoured?) some I'm definitely not looking forward to (one is one of the ones with the yeast still in the bottle, and from watching Brian Mujati's vlogs I learned that those will clear your guts out if you're not careful when pouring)

Welcome to the world of craft beers Olyy.

Yeast is good for you. I am drinking the German Hefeweizens and I make sure I leave and swirl the yeast at the bottom and pour it in at the end.

if it's bottle conditioned then the yeast will carry on fermenting the beer inside the bottle giving better depth of flavour.

Yeast is good for you. I am drinking the German Hefeweizens and I make sure I leave and swirl the yeast at the bottom and pour it in at the end.

if it's bottle conditioned then the yeast will carry on fermenting the beer inside the bottle giving better depth of flavour.
Oh, really?
Mooj reckons the yeast gives you the sh*ts, said he leaves the last inch - I don't want to be doing an Alan Partridge and angling a bunch of mirrors to see the TV from the toilet

Going to start out on the cans with the least pretentious labels, and go from there - I like my beer to taste of as little as possible, so hopefully by the time I get to the "gooseberry with a hint of cinamon, after taste of burnt shoes and a lingering aroma of wet newspaper" I won't mind them as much

It's this case, if anyone has anything they recommend I try:

Trying the "Numb Angel" atm and it just tastes like beer made with a sodastream (got that bitter soda water taste more than anything)

The best beers I've ever drank (or drunk? :rolleyes: ) were in Belgium. Really tasty. British beers are..ok. I also don't drink alcohol often,but adore tasting/drinking foreign wines/beers/liquors during travels.
During last trip to Canary Islands I tasted their natural wines - they have amazing wines! Plus, I brought some Canary liquors home (cactus liquor, dragon tree liquor etc etc) but didn't drink them yet.

I don't get the shits when drinking hefeweizens. I Suppose the Germans have very high purity standards with their beers or my gut takes the yeast quite well. And yep Belgium style wheat/white beers are very nice indeed.

Have drunken Proper Job by St Austell's as well from the bottle and that is bottle conditioned and plenty of cask ales and no problems either.

I see there are a couple of Helles style lagers in that pack. But yeah don't mind lagers but prefer pale ales, IPAs and Wheat beers nowadays, as I have gotten older and my taste buds have changed.

But yeah don't mind lagers but prefer pale ales, IPAs and Wheat beers nowadays, as I have gotten older and my taste buds have changed.
Oh, I actually forgot about ales when I was writing about British beers. Pale ales are incredible! I'm not an expert, but the most tasty pale ale I've drunk was in a London's pub called "Anchor", so would recommend this place if you like this type of ales. The taste was pretty unusual.. fruity a little bit, I'd say..but I fell in love with it!

Latest posts