• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Boxing Thread

Speaking of fights no one wants.

Collins V Benn III the battle of the Geriatric.

I'm a big Collins fan but I don't see why this has to happen.

I see Pacman lost yesterday his WBO ***le to an ex. Aussie school teacher. Time to retire Pacman.

Fell asleep before the Pacman fight but I saw Conlan destroy some jobbers liver.

Really annoys me with boxing that new guys don't get tested for years. Conlan looked twice as big and three times as skilled as the guy he fought, yet he'll still be fighting journeymen until he's got like 20 fights under his belt.
Like it was crazy that people were saying Anthony Joshua's first real test was the Klitchko fight, when he already held a world championship belt!

Fell asleep before the Pacman fight but I saw Conlan destroy some jobbers liver.

Really annoys me with boxing that new guys don't get tested for years. Conlan looked twice as big and three times as skilled as the guy he fought, yet he'll still be fighting journeymen until he's got like 20 fights under his belt.
Like it was crazy that people were saying Anthony Joshua's first real test was the Klitchko fight, when he already held a world championship belt!
You have to manage your cash cow in boxing

I think Conor will last at least 9 Rounds. Mayweather was slowing up and when you factor in his ring rust then that tips it a bit.
Add in Conor has a bigger reach, faster speed and even in his prime Mayweather always struggled with southpaws.

Not saying the Notorious will win but think people are writing him off prematurely and McGregor will love going in like this underdog.
Its untrue that Floyd struggles with Southpaws, he's dominated quite a few Southpaws Mitchell, Judah, Ortiz, Guerrero and of course Pacquaio

Floyd has his hardest fights with guys that put pressure on and throw 100's of punches (Castillo, Delahoya, Cotto and Maidana) none of which were southpaws

I like Conor but if he fights his usual counter punching style he's just going to get wrecked by a guy levels above him.
Actually he will get wrecked any way but he has slightly more chance going balls to the wall.

I'm predicting a stoppage probably quite early maybe 6-8 rounds

Its untrue that Floyd struggles with Southpaws, he's dominated quite a few Southpaws Mitchell, Judah, Ortiz, Guerrero and of course Pacquaio

Floyd has his hardest fights with guys that put pressure on and throw 100's of punches (Castillo, Delahoya, Cotto and Maidana) none of which were southpaws

I like Conor but if he fights his usual counter punching style he's just going to get wrecked by a guy levels above him.
Actually he will get wrecked any way but he has slightly more chance going balls to the wall.

I'm predicting a stoppage probably quite early maybe 6-8 rounds
I'm only going by what pro pundits are saying. And from what I see Flloyd is a runner as a boxer. And I don't mean that as a chicken but his style is get in score get out. This fight will be over in under 5 regardless. McGregor knows the longer it goes on the more he's exposed positionally and for fundamentals. So he will go all out.
The big question is if Flloyd can't get the KO who comes out better?

Chances of McG winning are what? 1%? Tops. Every way you want to look at it, it is almost impossible.

Floyd has been cherry picking opponents for a long time, but he's faced some pretty ******* fast boxers, and they all agree how elusive he is. He's been clocked how many times, 5?, in 49 fights. Zero chance for McG.
It is simply not realistic to expect an amateur boxer to land that blow that tons of better prepared boxers were looking for and failed to achieve. Even if he lands that magical punch, if it's not a KO, he'll get up and win by points in the end.

Floyd would have never accepted the fight unless he knew, 100%, it was an easy win. He dodged pacquiao for over a decade ffs.

This entire circus is quite simple imo: Floyd wanted to fight an mma fighter and win. He found one relatively good and good on his feet. He offered him a considerable amount (x4 of what McG already has from what i've read), got him to fight in his turf (offering a hefty purse) and locked an easy win.
Floyd gets to say he beat McG, gets that 50th win and (in that parallel universe) be able to claim boxing defeated mma + a shitload of money.
McG gets a shitload of money and saves face by saying he faced the best boxer out of his (McG's) comfort zone.
It's a win win. People want circus and they are delivering it in spades.

What i find mesmerizing about Floyd/McG fans is how they find that "i've go more money" trash talk entertaining. I can enjoy the ocassional banter and trash talk, but how on earth did money became a part of it is simply mind blowing.

I wouldn't rule out McG using an illegal move (kick, elbow) and getting disqualified. All staged and pre-arranged with Floyd, course.

talk is in the UK that Sky sports are selling the PPV MayVMac fight at
£89.99 if you have Sky sports
£129.99 if you don't.

Bonkers if true, no wonder Boxing popularity is plummeting.

This bout isn't really boxing. It's more sports entertainment like WWE. Gullible fans are sucked in by the staged promos. People need to boycott Mayweather's social media and stop following him as it's just giving him more exposure. He's just another clickbait whore. Piers Morgan and Katie Hopkins are the same but with zero talent. The best way to stop them is to ignore them and stop giving them exposure.

GGG v Alvarez will be a proper boxing match worth tuning into.

The Irish lad will get a payday and a whipping from the old master.
Floyd doesn't take fights he can't win.
No these days at this age.
Tax bill sorted for another year.
It's hard to work out who I like less.
Maybe we can have another microlite fly into the ring only this time with the propeller exposed and they can both get the chop.
Two awful humans.
Just repugnant.

The Irish lad will get a payday and a whipping from the old master.
Floyd doesn't take fights he can't win.
No these days at this age.
Tax bill sorted for another year.
It's hard to work out who I like less.
Maybe we can have another microlite fly into the ring only this time with the propeller exposed and they can both get the chop.
Two awful humans.
Just repugnant.
He quadruples his net worth according to himself

He quadruples his net worth according to himself

That is in terms of his purse.
Then there is the fame he can milk from this for fights elsewhere in either code a year or two after this happens.

I won't be watching it.
I get more action from watching the Somalian and Pakistani unlicensed cab drivers fighting over car park spaces at the local Morrisons supermarket on a Friday afternoon just before 1pm when they descend in large numbers looking for a park so they can go to the mosque 150 metres away.
Morrisons have hired a parking area guard for the Friday but because of the numbers all he ends up doing is trying to break up the slapping fights that erupt when one guy thinks his family has been slighted because another guy stole his park, and gets out, blocking the traffic behind him and sets upon the driver whereupon a whole heap of them rush over to intervene and start slapping each other.
The guard tries to break it up and get the traffic moving again... you can't write this stuff.
2 hours later when the free parking period runs out the spaces are empty again.

Just came across this. This is McG's coach...

In case you missed it, the relevant part is "Mayweather's clinch is completely novice".

This ain't Muay Thai, he expecting conor to start throwing knees to the ribs in there?

Just find all the people using Conor's MMA experience as a reason why he'll better Floyd crazy. MMA clinch is different to Boxing clinching, in boxing you're not worrying about getting tripped thrown flying subbed kneed elbowed etc.
It's like people saying Conor will shock Floyd because he has a karate stance and Floyd won't know what to do. If a karate stance was useful in boxing you don't think anyone would have used it by now?

It's true, short of a lucky punch scenario, the leprechaun is going to be deconstructed slowly over a period of rounds by the wily old spider.
Will Floyd have any issues making the weight?

Will Floyd have any issues making the weight?
Nah, It's at 154lbs, Almost 10lbs heavier than his usual.
More likely to see Conor struggle (though I don't think he will) as MMA fighters do huge weight cuts in the run up to a fight, boxers rarely do. MMA fighters cut 20-30lbs + for a fight (Eddie Alvarez posted a photo of himself on some scales 2hrs after weighing in at 156lbs, and he was at 171lbs just from rehydrating and eating) whereas boxers don't cut anywhere near as much (a quick Google says Canelo cuts from 165ish to 154, and that's considered a big weight cut in boxing). Conor will have spent the time cutting his walk around Weight (in the high 170s) to as close to 154 as he can so that he doesn't sacrifice any cardio through the cut

Latest posts