• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Boxing Thread

Joshua definitely has the power and is not short of speed for a heavyweight, but stamina and chin are still unanswered. If he isn't going to fight anyone top class then he should fight every month!

He is an exciting prospect that is for sure.

Joshua definitely has the power and is not short of speed for a heavyweight, but stamina and chin are still unanswered. If he isn't going to fight anyone top class then he should fight every month!

He is an exciting prospect that is for sure.

Who do you reckon he should fight next?

If I may...

There are any number of decent eastern european/russian heavies out there that would really test him.
And I'm not talking about Povetkin, who I think is a step too far at present.

Guys like Alexander Ustinov, who Tyson Fury suddenly didn't seem so keen to fight, springs to mind.

There are also fighters like Wach, Glazkov, Pulev...in fact, plenty of fighters who are far more active or aggressive in the ring than the catatonic Johnson.

To be honest right now I wouldn't think Joshua would stand a chance against Klitschko. Yes Klitschko is old, but he controls a ring about as well as any heavyweight boxer you'll ever see. He's kept himself in great shape too. I think Joshua would also struggle against a guy like Wilder, who has just as much power, is quite a bit quicker and a tad taller. Povetkin would also give him a very hard time. With that said, Joshua and Parker are two of the best prospect in boxing at the moment. I would love to see Joshua get a crack against Fury after Wladimir beats him.

We won't know how good Joshua is until he fights a genuine challenger. People get carried away when they see him beat Kevin Johnson. Who was coming off losses to Tor Hamer, Tyson Fury, Christian Hammer, Derek Chisora and Manuel Charr...now those guys aren't pushover boxers (well Tor Hamer is...), but they are long way off world beaters either. That was also an extremely early stoppage on Johnson. Like insanely early. I get you don't want damage to a guy on the ropes - but hundreds of fights have been won by the guy in that position. It's not like they were remarkably clean blows Joshua was hitting him with. No mistake I think Joshua would have won, but that was a BS stoppage. The time to stop would have been the second knock down of round 1 - not when it was officially called off.

Really? I know stoppages in the UK tend to be earlier than the US, but Johnson was offering nothing. If the fight was allowed to continue he would have just got hammered more and more. Even if that was allowed to go on there was no way that would he would have lasted much longer anyway, he looked in a bad state at the end of the 1st.

Johnson of course was an easy win, it's just that in all those fights you mention he's gone into survival mode and only ever been knocked down once by Chisora. The manner of the destruction was particularly notable.

Maybe it was just good timing for Joshua as all boxers with a good chin eventually get to a point where they crack. Glen Johnson has been a journeyman for the past few years known for huge durability, even he was eventually stopped last year by a boxer from Congo, having previously gone 17 years unstopped in the ring with a who's who of the division. Still impressive anyway, I think Joshua takes most of the top 10 right now apart from Klitshko and maybe Wilder (although I think he wins that as well).

I think Joshua takes most of the top 10 right now apart from Klitshko and maybe Wilder (although I think he wins that as well).

This is all a bit premature.
We have no way of knowing that.

Previous to Kevin;) Johnson, he fought a succession of fighters who were not even close to being in the top 50.
His last three opponents, with an average age being in their late 30's, had lost 52 fights between them....most of them enjoying sustained losing streaks latterly.

The facts are that Joshua is powerful and looks set to go far.
It is also a fact that he has fought absolutely nobody above a certain ability that has bothered to try and hit him back.

Kevin Johnson, whilst being the highest rated fighter he's fought yet, was known for being an extremely lethargic survivor, who'd lost 4 of his last 5 fights, and was not ranked within the top 30 anymore.

It's a bit like the David Price hype.
I'd wait a bit and see what happens when he comes up against somebody with a bit of ability and a desire to win.

EDIT: You can add Wilder to that too....the only fighter he has fought of any note is Bermaine Stiverne, who I have had my own personal doubts about with regards to out-and-out ability.

Last edited:
If I may...

There are any number of decent eastern european/russian heavies out there that would really test him.
And I'm not talking about Povetkin, who I think is a step too far at present.

Guys like Alexander Ustinov, who Tyson Fury suddenly didn't seem so keen to fight, springs to mind.

There are also fighters like Wach, Glazkov, Pulev...in fact, plenty of fighters who are far more active or aggressive in the ring than the catatonic Johnson.

Spilka (think that's spelt right) would be a good fight large polish population in the UK would fill the 02 easily

Spilka (think that's spelt right) would be a good fight large polish population in the UK would fill the 02 easily

I think there's a "Z" in there somewhere...

I'd forgotten him, to be fair.

As mentioned, there are quite a few very decent Eastern European/Russian heavies out there who'd come to fight.
In fact, they sort of dominate the division these days.

Really? I know stoppages in the UK tend to be earlier than the US, but Johnson was offering nothing. If the fight was allowed to continue he would have just got hammered more and more. Even if that was allowed to go on there was no way that would he would have lasted much longer anyway, he looked in a bad state at the end of the 1st.

Maybe, or he would have thrown a ridiculously lucky punch. Yes - it was likely Johnson was going to lose, and I can understand the referee stopping the fight at the end of round one (unfortunate that the 'saved by the bell' rules were in effect). The problem is that that stoppage was short. In all probability George Foreman was going to lose on points to Michael Moorer - if that fight was called off we would never have seen Foreman be heavyweight champion. Muhammad Ali went 7 rounds getting pummeled against the ropes against Foreman as well, he then won. For me the punches that he was getting hit with at that point of time didn't justify the stoppage, they weren't clean and were largely bouncing off the gloves. He may have been knocked out later in the round or been unable to defend himself, but I think it was too preemptive.

What's frustrating about Anthony Joshua fights is that it is exactly the same as Deontay Wilder.

I have no problem with boxers not fighting brilliant fighters early in their career. What concerns me is that the caliber of fights Joshua is fighting is not testing him. Much like Wilder who never went more than four rounds - before fighting Stiverne who he beat over 12 rounds - is that it just isn't good preparation. We've seen Joshua dispose of guys with similar style throughout his career, walk forward plodders who don't know how to fight on the outside or move - and don't genuinely have the power or inside games to trouble the big guy. Exactly the same as Wilder. So he's not building his repertoire, he's just padding his record. Can we honestly say that he has been presented with a variety of challenges in his fights? No.

The comparison is tedious (particularly coming from a New Zealander) - but one thing I like about Joseph Parker's opponents is that they have offered different things. The opponents are of a similar caliber - I don't know if I could pick a winner between Brian Minto vs Michael Sprott, or Marcelo Luiz Nascimento vs Raphael Zumbano Love. But what is good is that Parker is being tested against a lot of different styles and is building. Joshua obviously does a lot of gym work (as does Wilder), but their ring time isn't preparing them for a good fight.

OhDannyBoy mentioned Ustinov as an opponent for Joshua - and I think that is exactly who he should fight. Ustinov is very big and knows how to use his reach to keep space. He's a bit like Tyson Fury in that he has good reach but doesn't have particularly impressive knock-out power. His record has largely been built against journeymen, and the only top 10 fight he has faced (Pulev) he lost to in an 11th round KO. Joshua would likely be too athletic, but it would be the first fight where he didn't have a size advantage (which he wouldn't against any of the current champions), wouldn't be fighting guys who have to move forward to be effective. It would actually be a test rather than an execution.

In terms of other promising fighters: Artur Szpilka is a fighter who would be custom designed for Joshua. He has pretty crappy defense, the only good opponent he has beaten is Adamek who hit him in the face an awful lot. I think someone like Carlos Takam would be a really good fight as well. He's aggressive and fast and gave Povetkin plenty of trouble.

Who do you reckon he should fight next?

I'd like to see him fight either Fury (to shut him up) or Alexander Povetkin, who looks a good fighter, but may be a step up too far. I do feel for him, if he goes up a step too far too quickly and gets caught he will find it hard to get back to the top. I do like everything I see at the moment though.

Game over for Price then. 3rd defeat now obviously not as good as we all thought. Hope Joshua lives up to the hype.

Kiwi boxing fans on this forum just letting you know sky is offering up for free tomorrow one of the better fights of 2015 on sky arena.

Golovkin vs Lemeiux two of the most exciting fighters in the world today and basically a guarenteed slug fest no matter how long it lasts.

Golovkin is one of my personal favs he's a bit of a monster tbf but also one of the better technicians as well. Much better action then you will see in the ufc thats for sure

There should be a thread about "Martial Arts in General".
Judo (although I am strongly against this spelling), BJJ (Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and I am also against this spelling), Sambo, Karate (WKF or other codes), ITF (International Taekwon-Do Federation), WTF (World Taekwondo Federation), Kûdô (Daidôzyuku), Fencing, Spochan, etc etc.

So, who will be watching Klitschko vs Fury end of the month ?

I don't follow boxing really, but will definitely watch a huge match. Floyd vs Manny was a horrible match.

So, who will be watching Klitschko vs Fury end of the month ?

I don't follow boxing really, but will definitely watch a huge match. Floyd vs Manny was a horrible match.

This will be same. They'll both stroll around ring. Go for odd hug and swing the odd punch.

I'll love seeing Fury get ko'd. Most overrated boxing going around - and a terrible talker who thinks he's Ali.

Today the fight in the first Heavyweight WBA

Denis Lebedev - Lateef Kayode.

Kazan.:cool:

[video]https://youtu.be/SAVcZ51Y2GQ[/video]

I'll love seeing Fury get ko'd. Most overrated boxing going around - and a terrible talker who thinks he's Ali.

He's not charming like Ali, but he's not a bad talker. He's actually quite hilarious IMO anyway. I like his fighting style as well, good combination puncher and doesn't just hug the **** out of people.

Hope he beats Wlad just because Wlad is one of the most boring champs ever and he stinks up the joint most nights (In terms of entertainment value at least, jab and grab isn't entertaining at all). Wlad vs Jennings was terrible to watch and when Wlad started to get deducted points he looked a bit lost. vs Povetkin it was the most unbelievable hugfest you will ever see, Povetkin didn't have a chance because of a despicable ref that didn't even warn Wlad.

If this fight goes past 7-8 rounds I really believe Fury has a huge opportunity. Wlad has poor stamina and Fury has a huge gas tank and he always gets stronger as the fight goes on. Wlad might just come out and make a statement and blast him early, he still is a massive puncher and Fury can be sloppy. Its probably the most logical scenario tbf, I doubt jab and grab will work on someone as big as Fury anyway.

Latest posts