Brad Thorn to Leinster for 3 Months

nickdnz

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
Former All Blacks and Crusaders lock Brad Thorn has signed a three-month contract with European champions Leinster.
Thorn joins Leinster on temporary loan from Japanese club Fukuoka Sanix Blues, where he has been playing since helping the All Blacks win the Rugby World Cup in October last year.
The former Brisbane Broncos rugby league star provides cover at lock for Leinster, after they lost Leo Cullen to injury and Steven Sykes returned to South Africa.
Coach Joe Schmidt, former assistant coach of the Super Rugby side the Blues, says Thorn's experience will supplement Damian Browne, Devin Toner and Mark Flanagan in the demanding months ahead as Leinster look to defend their ***le.
"Obviously Brad won't have a lot of time to find his feet, but I know the quality he brings and how keen he is to make a contribution both on and off the field," Schmidt said.
Thorn joins an array of New Zealanders at Leinster, including Schmidt, former Crusaders teammates Greg Feek and Matt Berquist, and forwards coach Jono Gibbes, a former Chiefs captain.
Thorn says he's looking forward to the challenges at Leinster.
"They're very successful, they have high standards and it's pretty exciting to be part of it."

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/news/article/-/13112813/thorn-takes-up-leinster-challenge/

How comes it says Leicester in the Thread ***le when he's signed for Leinster in the real-life?

Mystery that may never be solved!?

*Leinster ;)

Anyway, pretty much anyone who had a loose following of Leinster rugby knew this was going to happen for about the last 6 weeks. Great signing considering our current woes at lock. There's no reason we shouldn't defend our Heineken Cup ***le now and it should do a world of good for the likes of Mark Flanagan and even Devin Toner.

While we're talking about locks, I just want to say that Damian Browne has been a smashing signing for us this season. Considering the massive hole that Nathan Hines' departure left and the relatively low expectations people had for him he's been an absolute revelation. Made all the better by the knowledge that he's been playing with a shoulder injury for the past two months. Absolute trooper.

Woops, meant Leinster....

Out of all the teams in the NH Leinster is my least favourite, but I'd love to see Brad Thorn win the H-Cup to add onto all his other accomplishments.

Last edited:

Out of all the teams in the NH Leinster is my least favourite, but I'd love to see Brad Thorn win the H-Cup to add onto all his other accomplishments.

Whaaaaaaat? You is gonna have to justify the hell out of that one.

Feic's right what's not to like about Leinster if you even think about saying the fans...

I love Leinster fans. You'd be surprised how few Munster players I knew were "s**t" before I was kindly informed by schoolmates, friends the occasional teacher.:p

Whaaaaaaat? You is gonna have to justify the hell out of that one.

It's the players.

Gordon D'Arcy for being the most exceptionally average player in the world and still getting 66 Irish Caps.
Sean O'Brien for being the most over-rated, over hyped, nothing of a looseforward who should never be put at openside flanker for Ireland.
Jamie Heaslip for kneeing the crap out of Richie McCaw's head in 2010.
Rob Kearny for being another over rated talentless player who survives because of a few bright moments on a Lions tour in 2009. Useless counter attacker despite commentators going mental...
Shane Horgan for having the amazing credentials of being fairly big. Slowest winger in world rugby.
Jonathan Sexton for being extremely, extremely over hyped. Can't take a 35 year olds jersey away from him in the Ireland setup...

And most importantly -

Brian O'Driscoll for being a cry baby, over reacting, smarmy twat.

Overall I think it is the way all Leinster's players are just so over-rated and the Leinster fans are by far and away the most outspoken about how good their players are. They play exciting rugby by NH standards, but I'd rather watch Munster kill Leinster than just about any other NH match.

Now there are at least two good things about Leinster though, Isa Nacewa and Brad Thorn.

It's the players.

Gordon D'Arcy for being the most exceptionally average player in the world and still getting 66 Irish Caps.
Sean O'Brien for being the most over-rated, over hyped, nothing of a looseforward who should never be put at openside flanker for Ireland.
Rob Kearny for being another over rated talentless player who survives because of a few bright moments on a Lions tour in 2009. Useless counter attacker despite commentators going mental...
Shane Horgan for having the amazing credentials of being fairly big. Slowest winger in world rugby.
Jonathan Sexton for being extremely, extremely over hyped. Can't take a 35 year olds jersey away from him in the Ireland setup...

And most importantly -

Overall I think it is the way all Leinster's players are just so over-rated and the Leinster fans are by far and away the most outspoken about how good their players are. They play exciting rugby by NH standards, but I'd rather watch Munster kill Leinster than just about any other NH match.

Now there are at least two good things about Leinster though, Isa Nacewa and Brad Thorn.

Two points of diagreement:

1. Kearney's been awesome this year.
2. Not Sean O'Brien's fault he gets played out of position.

And you forgot about how annoying Luke Fitzgerald's hair is.

It's the players.

And most importantly -

the man makes a point, although Kearney has been back to 2009 form this season.

It's the players.

And most importantly -

D'arcy, O'Driscoll and Kearney....very harsh
D'arcy may now be an average player but in his prime he was an excellent centre
Kearney, I feel he is one of the best fielders of the ball I've seen and a great counter attacker
With regards to O'Driscoll I presume you're probably referring to the Umaga thing... again. One incident in which you feel O'Driscoll acted poorly which occurred in 2005, Its been 7 years. However you feel he acted O'Driscoll is actually a really nice guy and a great player. No need to be bitter

It's the players.

And most importantly -

Darcy had a few wonderful seasons around 2004 And it was his partnership with Bod that kept him in the team.
Sean O'Brien ..Have a look at Ireland and Leinster's stats over the last few months...since moving to seven which was a **** move made by coaches his stats are unbelievable.
I'd agree with Heaslip He wouldn't be my favorite...
As for Kearney...take a look at the recent 6N games...He's playing like superman. And I believe it was the NZ media that were sucking him off the most when we toured down there.
Horgan could finish and Field... Also had a friendly face.
Sexton ..He's the best we have and it's purely thr media spinning up the hype.

And to be fair Nick you are the only poster I've seen on the Site who whinges about the BOD thing. But if someone picked me up and threw me on my head ..sure as **** I wouldn't take it kindly.

And lastly nice dig saying Leinster play exciting rugby by NH standards ..but I'd wager a considerable sum that they would have absolutely stuffed the reds last year..

Last edited:
It's the players.

And most importantly -

Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooah!
This is ****ing scandalous behaviour Nick.
Firstly, D'Arcy is a demi-god. Don't you ever forget that.
I agree O'Brien is over rated.
Kearney not talented? What a ludicrous statement. He could catch a paper clip if it was dropped from a plane. His counter attacking is probably second to none in the northern hemisphere. He's just clever about it. Counter attacking every time someone kicks the ball at you is stupid. Do it when it's on.
I'm not bothered justifying Horgan. Type his name into youtube and I'm sure it'll justify him for me.
Sexton has totally failed to show what he can do at international level but he's by a distance the best outhalf in the northern hemisphere when he plays for Leinster. The man has more Heineken Cup MOTM awards than anyone I've ever seen. He'll never be short on champagne.
It's funny how these days the only time I ever hear about the Mealamu and Umaga assault on Brian O'Driscoll is when New Zealanders talk about how we won't stop banging on about it.

In closing I would like you to look at teh 2 stars on the Leinster jersey just above the emblem. If my angry rant doesn't dismantle your point then they do.

I've noticed nobody arguing about Fitzgerald's annoying hair.

Case closed.

Luke Fitzgerald's hair is no less than a masterpiece.

Too late for formal submissions. Case closed.

A formal appeal can be made by means of a poll. Counsel for the prosecution however has put forward a strong case, so I advise against it.

LukeFitzgeraldIrelandNov09Sportsfile.jpg

Latest posts