• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Braid out for S14 season, doubt over Hynes

M

munross

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
The Reds have lost inspirational flanker Daniel Braid for the remainder of the 2009 Super 14 season after he ruptured an Achilles tendon during Saturday's clash against the Lions.

The former All Black and Blues flanker, who underwent surgery on Sunday, joined the Reds this year as a marquee signing and has been a proven leader both on and off the paddock.

"The minimum recovery time is six months so it's a disappointing injury for us and particularly for Daniel," QR Reds coach Phil Mooney said.

"I haven't spoken to him since the surgery, but I'm sure he's still got a big role to play here."

Expected to replace Braid in the starting lineup is 21-year-old Poutasi Luafutu, who has developed significantly this year under the guidance and experience of Braid.

Last year Luafutu impressed Mooney enough to displace Reds stalwart David Croft and make his debut against the imposing Bulls from South Africa.

"He's (Luafutu) itching for an opportunity and it looks as though he'll get it," he said.

"He's not your traditional openside (flanker), but he's physical and very competitive.

"It'll also be good to have a new guy in the team because with that you get a different dynamic and energy."

Braid has signed with the Scarlets in the Magners League (Celtic League) so his next appearance on the field will be in Wales.

A decision on the availability of injured wing Peter Hynes will be made later in the week after he sustained a bump to his knee on Saturday night.

If Hynes is unavailable, Mooney is likely to select Australian Sevens representative Luke Morahan on the wing after he produced some dazzling touches on debut against the Lions.

"It was a good introduction for Luke," Mooney said of Morahan, who earned his first cap in the second half when Hynes was unable to continue.

"He'll play a lot of Super 14 rugby in the ensuing years, so it's a good start for him."

Mooney said his side must now regroup after a disappointing effort on the weekend.

"Whatever words you used to describe it, it wasn't a performance we were proud of.

"We go and play the Blues in Auckland on Saturday and they're a very good side, so we've got to come up with solutions for this weekend."
Mooney will announce his side on Wednesday before the team travels to Auckland on Thursday.[/b]
Super14.com

Big blow for the Reds! Braid has really been a stand-out player for them this season.So it seems its goodbye Reds, Australia, New Zealand and Southern Hemisphere and hello Northern Hemisphere, Wales and the Scarlets for Daniel.

Braid hasn't really stood out for me, half the time he's been on I haven't noticed him :S