• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Braid re-signs with Reds for 2010

M

munross

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Former All Black and Blues flanker Daniel Braid will play for the Reds again next season after deciding to extend his contract with Queensland for a further 12 months.

The re-signing of Braid, who was a standout during the 2009 Super 14 season before rupturing an Achilles tendon, has delighted the Reds who valued the contribution he has made since signing as a marquee import at the start of the year.

Reds Performance Rugby Manager Ben Whitaker said Braid was the seasoned professional, ball-pilfering flanker the team required and said his leadership would assist in building a winning culture at the club.

"Daniel's contribution since joining the club has been outstanding, both on and off the field, but we believe he'll be even better for us next year having spent a year here already," Whitaker said.

Braid's initial plans to play in Europe at the end of the 2009 season were complicated by his injury, but Whitaker said the 28 year old still had offshore options he could have pursued.

"His commitment in re-signing shows he knows this team will move forward and he wants to be part of it," Whitaker said.

"We were always quite hopeful, in staying in touch with Daniel for a fair period of time, that he would make the decision to do his second year here," Whitaker said.

Braid was the first overseas international signed by an Australian Super Rugby team under the Foreign Player Policy which allowed one foreign international marquee player per team for a maximum of two years.

Before joining Queensland, Braid had a decorated 78 game provincial career that included 59 Super Rugby caps for the Auckland Blues.

He also represented the All Blacks four times after making his Test debut against Wales in 2002, and was honoured as New Zealand's Super 14 Player of the Year in 2007.

Speaking from New Zealand, where he is currently on leave, Braid said he was excited about returning to Queensland for another year and was confident the Reds would improve on their 2009 position of 13th.

"I see the Reds as a team with a lot of potential, so it's great that I can be part of trying to improve the club again," Braid said.

"I had a great time with the group of guys in the team last year and a lot of the guys, like Berrick Barnes and James Horwill, are playing really well for the Wallabies.

"I want to be in a team with these guys, where I can see the possibilities and potential of the team.

"Next year there will also be more consistency in the side as there won't be a large turnover like in the past."

"It is good to make the decision and be settled, and to be wanted in a team like this."

Braid said with his immediate future decided he can now focus on being ready for the 2010 season.

"The last two months has been quite stressful with the injury and having all my plans (to play in Europe) go up in smoke really.

"I know that I don't have to play until the Super 14 now, so it is a good window to get some rehab in and get my Achilles right.

"Because I have so much time, I'm doing everything right to make sure everything goes to plan.

"I won't miss any games either as the injury is generally a six month injury and I injured it in April."

Braid is the second high-profile signing for the Reds in the past month, with captain and lock James Horwill committing to the club until the end of 2011.[/b]
http://www.super14.com/news/viewarticle.asp?id=20819

This is pretty good news for the Reds, ain't it?

Alot of people are ****** off about Rocky Elsom not coming to the Reds, I like Daniel Braid, I think his All Black training has helped the Reds in their fitness this year when he's suggested things, he's made a lot of good turn overs, so I think it's great.

Latest posts