• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Braid to rejoin Blues for Super15

Intercept King JDV

Bench Player
Country Flag
South Africa
Club or Nation
Stormers
Former All Blacks flanker Daniel Braid will return to New Zealand after signing with the New Zealand Rugby Union and Auckland Rugby from 1 July 2010 until the end of 2012.

Queensland Rugby will be disappointed to farewell Daniel Braid at the end of the current Super 14 season but delighted he will have the chance to pursue his ambition of adding to his four caps for the All Blacks.

Braid will play out his second Super 14 season with the Reds, then return to play for Auckland in the 2010 ITM Cup.

He will be available to the Blues for the 2011 and 2012 expanded Super 15 competitions.

Braid joined the Reds for the 2009 season as Australia’s first marquee signing, under an ARU proviso that his stay be no longer than two years.

After suffering an Achilles tendon injury midway through 2009 he came back with a vengeance this year as one of the form open side flankers in the competition and caught the eye of All Black selectors, leading to a decision to renew ties with his home province, the Blues in Auckland, to press his claims for a recall to the All Black squad.

"Braidy has been fantastic for us as a player and as a leader within the team, and we’ll be sad to see him go," said Head Coach Ewen McKenzie.

"However we take pride in knowing that not only are we developing Wallabies, we might also get a reputation for re-developing All Blacks…."

Braid said the opportunity to bid for a spot in the All Blacks next year when New Zealand is hosting the Rugby World Cup was a big incentive for him.

"I’m very happy with my decision to go back and have a crack in what will be a big year in New Zealand," he said.

"To have a World Cup in your own country is a once in a lifetime opportunity to be able to push for a spot. To be able to play in that is a pretty big thing."

However, while he was looking forward to linking up again with his former team-mates in Auckland, Braid said he still had unfinished business in Brisbane.

"I’m 100 per cent dedicated to the Reds and doing everything I can to help them succeed in the games that remain in 2010. I’ve enjoyed the experience immensely and it will be fantastic to finish the season on a high," he said.
Source

Well at least he isn't joining the the Rebels:D.Think he should be a good back-up, should McCaw get injured before/during the RWC.

Yeah, Braid has played really well this year for the Reds and the only other openside we have who could back up McCaw is Scott Waldrom and he's not on great form this season. Latimer I don't think is international material. Good to see Braid back and should really help out the All Blacks and the Blues, as both of those teams arn't as well stocked at openside as they should be.

Latest posts