• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Brumbies vs Raiders

E

..::ERIC::..

The Brumbies will play the Radiers.... in cricket. What the hell, a 20 a-side cricket match? That is f***ing whack! Rugby or league would bring in way more crowds.

???......very exciting.....cricket...yes thats gonna rake in the millions in ticket sales...
<
...cricket???..whut da f***

Actually a Twenty20 cricket match (I figure that's what Eric means) against the two clubs would be awesome! It would be cool if it were televised. Some of those players have represented us at state and national level in cricket. Can't wait to see how Greegs does!

I'd watch if it were soccer. Or touch rugby. Cricket doesn't seem to grab my imagination. No contact except for the bat and ball in cricket. Unless they did what Lance Cairns did in the 80's and throw it at an Aussie batsman's head when attempting a run out. The Aussie batsman looked totally unperturbed when the ball hit him on the back of his neck.

What a strange, but good idea! 20/Twenty is a great idea I can't wait for the internationals.

There's nothing wrong with cricket but who wants to watch rugby players try to play cricket ie who wants to watch bad cricket?

Many Rugby Players mightve gone preety far in Cricket if they chose it ahead of Rugby, just look at Jeff Wilson...

That's what I more or less said in my previous post. There's alot of pretty good cricketers there. It's just for a bit of fun.

Sorry, didnt read your post. I usually scroll down the page and miss half the posts

Originally posted by rugged@Jan 21 2005, 11:22 PM
There's nothing wrong with cricket but who wants to watch rugby players try to play cricket ie who wants to watch bad cricket?
exactly...rather them play netball
<
...nah they should play gridiron without pads so harrison can get his a## kicked

Originally posted by Wally@Jan 21 2005, 10:19 PM
Actually a Twenty20 cricket match (I figure that's what Eric means)
Nope, I mean 20 players per side.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Rugby players will go head-to-head with their league rivals when Super 12 champions the Brumbies takes on the Canberra Raiders in a charity match to raise money for the Asian tsunami victims.

But the burning question of which code produces the best footy players will go unanswered, with the two teams meeting on a cricket pitch rather than a rugby field.

And the 13-a-side code won't be disadvantaged, with both teams fielding 20-a-side in the cricket match.

All money raised at the cross-code charity game on Tuesday, February 1 will be donated to the tsunami appeal.

"There's always a lot of talk about the rivalry between the Brumbies and the Raiders for the market niche in Canberra," Raiders captain Simon Woolford said.

"We've played a few games against the Brumbies before and we enjoy it.

"It's going to be even better this time because it's for a good cause and we'll hopefully raise a lot of money for tsunami victims."

The rugby and league players will be joined by celebrities, including NSW wicketkeeper Brad Haddin, and hope to raise about $A20,000.

Woolford said the Raiders were still feeling the sting of being beaten by the Brumbies the last time they met in a cricket game.

"So we picked a strong team this year," he said. "We've got a couple of net sessions leading into it.

"It will be pretty competitive out there and I'm tipping the Raiders in a close win."

Meanwhile, Brumbies captain Stirling Mortlock has thrown his support behind plans to stage two charity rugby matches between northern and southern hemisphere teams for the tsunami appeal.

The International Rugby Board hopes to stage matches at Telstra Stadium in Sydney and Twickenham in London.

Mortlock applauded rugby for following in the path of cricket, which raised more than $A14 million for the tsunami victims through this month's charity match at the MCG.

The veteran of 35 Tests said participating in such a match would be a highlight of his career.

"If the match goes ahead and I'm selected for it, I'd love to be a part of it," Mortlock said.

"A southern hemisphere team would have a very, very strong line-up and there are so many great players that could fill each of the positions.

"To be selected in the team would be a huge honour and would give (players) the unique opportunity to play alongside and against the best players in world rugby."[/b]
-tvnz.co.nz

Well there you go. A two game series with one match of union and another of league would have been better.

Let's dig in IRB archives and find the law of the game in the 1870's when there were still 40 players on the pitch, 20 per team, and no schism yet between League and Union.

the raiders could do whatever they want and sellout a stadium

its only coz of the lowlife opposition nobody turns up
<

AK47

I see u are as out of date as your name implies.

It is common for the Brumbies to sell out BRUCE but the Raiders are struggling to sell out Marnica(sp?) oval in recent times. Go with the flow mate, go to Bruce and support the Brumbies or watch the Raiders at the small venue and embrace the loser game.
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<
<

Originally posted by BEEPS@Feb 20 2005, 11:47 PM
AK47

I see u are as out of date as your name implies.

It is common for the Brumbies to sell out BRUCE but the Raiders are struggling to sell out Marnica(sp?) oval in recent times. Go with the flow mate, go to Bruce and support the Brumbies or watch the Raiders at the small venue and embrace the loser game.
<

<

<

<

<

<

<

<

<
If you think for a minute that if the Raiders had been even half as successful as the Brumbies in recent times that they wouldn't be more popular you are kidding yourself mate.

Latest posts