• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

BT Sport's coverage

How was tonight's coverage, if anyone caught it?

Also, if anyone has BT Vision - was it on "BT Sport" as well as "BT Sport 2"? I can't access "BT Sport 2" or "BT Sport 1" (it asks for a viewing card - not sure if it's supposed to or not :huh:) only "BT Sport" - not sure if the "BT Sport" channel is the most popular thing from the other 2, or a stand alone or what?
Would be crappy if you only get the "BT Sport" channel free, and then all the rugby is on 2.

Then again, maybe I just need to retune the box or something...I'll try again in the morning - planning or recording tomorrow night's 7s if possible.

Edit: Hmm, on closer inspection (i.e. quickly looking at BT Sport website) the "BT Sport" channel doesn't exist, there's only 1 2 and HD.

Last edited:
I can't put it exactly into words why I felt that way, and I didn't watch the punditry in between matches or at the start/end of the night, but I actually really enjoyed the coverage. It had a "grand" feeling to it. I thought the refcam was pretty awesome too. It was just good to watch Premiership teams in action without bloody Barnes.

Last edited:
I've enjoyed the BT Sport coverage so far. Finding it sort of lies half way between Sky's 'suited and booted' approach and ESPN's laid back approach with the fans screaming behind their open commentry box. BT have had to beef up their TV offering as consumers are increasingly buying a bundle from one supplier which includes phone, TV and Brioadband. So I reckon BT are in it for the long haul.

I only managed to watch the first (free) night of rugby on BT, and it was alright.
It's hard to judge on the channels first broadcast, lot's of refinement to be done, but that was to be expected.

Really the main thing that I want them to have is good quality analysis, I'm not sure whether their full-time personnel can offer that though...
I think they realised quite quickly after announcing Dayglo that he isn't actually up to it!
And I'm not sure how deep Dawson's premiership knowledge is.

If they can get someone to do analysis of the quality of Dean Ryan then I will be happy...

http://www.espn.co.uk/premiership-2013-14/rugby/story/196239.html

Not quite sure how those are gonna work, considering there isn't really a standard kicking tee, possibly a good idea though.
Again I'm not sure what lineout specific camera they can add that we haven't already seen.

Changing room cam is good, and already in widespread use.

Also good to see them having a 2 hour rugby show, an upgrade on Sky's 1 hour.

Last edited:
I don't care about the other cameras, but I can't stand dressing room cameras. They are already the focus for 80 minutes, give them a few minutes to themselves.

I don't care about the other cameras, but I can't stand dressing room cameras. They are already the focus for 80 minutes, give them a few minutes to themselves.

I'd wager its not for the blokes. Based on twitters reaction whenever its shown.

Interesting to see kicking tee cam, would give a different perspective on distance, angle and actually the conditions of the pitch that the high view might not show.

It's mainly just so they have something other than an empty pitch to show in the interval.
But it can be useful to see if players are injured, and gauge the mood of a team.

i only managed to watch the first (free) night of rugby on bt, and it was alright.
It's hard to judge on the channels first broadcast, lot's of refinement to be done, but that was to be expected.

Really the main thing that i want them to have is good quality analysis, i'm not sure whether their full-time personnel can offer that though...
I think they realised quite quickly after announcing dayglo that he isn't actually up to it!
And i'm not sure how deep dawson's premiership knowledge is.

If they can get someone to do analysis of the quality of dean ryan then i will be happy...

greenwood

Greenwood doesn't actually do that much analysis though, he just describes individual's characteristics in an annoyingly dramatic and staccato fashion.

Greenwood doesn't actually do that much analysis though, he just describes individual's characteristics in an annoyingly dramatic and staccato fashion.

He has done some very good analysis on the old Sky board or whatever it is called and done it very well. One example was him dissecting the Toulon defense and attack showing how it is only JW who was kicking out of the 22 rather than the 9 or Giteau and where the kcks went.................

I fear he has been got at by the "acting police" with his recent (and over the top) dramatic styling that is just not him in the same way that all the BBC and ITV newscasters and reporters have been told to walk toward the camera or stand still and raise and lower their hands in some sort of gesture that has nothing to do with real life!

Just came on this to say what a load of b******* the coverage is and then they show a video taken beind the scenes by Balshaw..............otherwise May and that woman are talking in platitudes and have not even woken up to the fact that Couet Lannes is out and Pieterson is in.......pretty useless programme...bring on the game!

It is unfortunate when your anchor can't actually pronounce a lot of the players' names properly.

Is it one of those shows where 90% of the time is spent talking about buzz words/phrases like "confidence", "experience" and "will learn", with little insightful said about eg team tactics, attack and defensive patterns etc.?

It was Soccer AM mixed with Top Gear without its fun......good to see Bayfield and Healey in harness but the rest are rubbish! God Dallaglio has a boring voice and what he says is not that much better....

Who else is going to be commentating other than Gillingham or are they going to do all the games like the French ones with commentary from the studio?

I thought it was all right - will wait until the season starts before making a proper judgement.

I was concerned that there would be very little analysis done when they unveiled their presenting line-up.
I think it'll be ok during the games but outside of that I'm feeling pretty pessimistic.
It seems they are trying to do the exact opposite of what Sky do, which isn't really the right way to go about it.

Most reviews I'm seeing suggest the program was well received and was good because it wasn't like Sky's coverage

Maybe people enjoyed it, I didn't.
There was barely any actual rugby coverage, certainly nothing insightful.
Give me a sour faced Dean Ryan any day over a rugby themed Top Gear rip-off.

Latest posts