FRU to try and centrally contract 40 players

ratsapprentice

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
England
<twitterwidget class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-0" data-tweet-id="835902013934342147" style="position: static; visibility: visible; display: block; transform: rotate(0deg); max-width: 100%; width: 500px; min-width: 220px; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px;"></twitterwidget><blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">FFR president Bernard Laporte on <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Stade2?src=hash">#Stade2</a> on French TV saying they will offer 40 players central union contracts. Huge.</p>&mdash; Murray Kinsella (@Murray_Kinsella) <a href="https://twitter.com/Murray_Kinsella/status/835902013934342147">February 26, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Would be astonishing if true, and even more so if it's successful!

(For those unaware, Vakatawa is already centrally contracted - he has no club side!)<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;" ***le="Twitter analytics iframe"></iframe><iframe id="rufous-sandbox" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen="true" style="position: absolute; visibility: hidden; display: none; width: 0px; height: 0px; padding: 0px; border: none;" ***le="Twitter analytics iframe"></iframe>

I'm probably a bit too thick to understand the gravity of this beyond the FFR trying to wrest control of French internationals away from the clubs in a way which will probably suit both parties and the players.

I would have gone with "you're severely lacking in girth", myself.... but whatever works.

What don't you understand?

I think it's a pretty cool idea but it won't work on the long run. Ultimately players need to play against other teams during the year, and they've got to stack up matches in order to stay match fit. Obviously not as many as in Top 14, but still... There aren't enough tests in a calendar year for that.
And how do you pay them with so little money? Clubs are money makers at the end of the day, they're a necessary evil to keep the machine working.

BUT, we've got to get rid of the current format. Top 14 needs to disappear for the sake of French rugby. My solution to that would be to divide France into 5 or 6 provinces, SR style, and create a European competition involving provinces from the UK, Ireland, France and other countries if they're good enough. Then cut foreign recruitment, that will allow the provinces to choose their players among the very best from those geographical regions (and they'll have a much bigger sample to pick from compared to now). Financial means will mainly come from TV rights as spectators in Europe are more numerous than in the Southern Hemisphere. The proximity between those countries will mean that away matches won't be as tiresome as in Super Rugby, while it will be the opportunity for fans across Western Europe to share a common interest and banter with each other.

Most importantly, there should be a strong agreement between those provinces and the FFR, which means that the interest of les Bleus will prevail at all time: No more binge gaming til the players are so tired they perform badly with the national squad, any player who goes offshore can't be selected to play for France, etc.

And last but not least, they'd have to massively invest in youth rugby. Get rid of the age grade limit, let's select kids by weight and insist on skills being learned properly. This is the key to success. We, in France, complain that we don't have enough depth, that's because grassroots rugby is in a poor state. Worse than that, clubs don't nurture talent when they're presented with it. Young geniuses are told to fit to the mould and play a limiting game that I don't want to call Rugby. Until they fix that, French rugby will be playing with both hands attached.

In principle, regional rugby is the way forward, but the Top 14 clubs and supporters would initially be firmly against the idea.
The Top14 won't disappear, but it would be seriously devalued if it's best players are away for a chunk of the season.
Maybe he'll want to base the French Top 14 similar to the the All Ireland League (Shannon, Ballymena, Clontarf etc)?

If the regions project comes about there could possibly be 7 groups/regions:
1. Oyonnax, Lyon,
2. Stade Francais and Racing (where have I heard that before?!!)
3. La Rochelle, Brive
4. Agen, Bordeaux,
5. Toulouse, Pau
6. Castres, Clermont
7. Montpellier, Toulon

Each region could play each other twice on a home and away basis with matches shared between the groups' clubs, so there'd be twelve matches in the normal season (end of season play-offs too?) In between time, the players could go back to their clubs.
I can't see Toulouse's Ernest Wallon stadium being even half full if the club's best players aren't playing.in a Top 14 fixture, but if a combined Toulouse/Pau were to play against Paris either in Pau or Toulouse, then I think the tickets would go fast. I for one would go!!
One thing is sure, it ain't going to happen overnight, but if the clubs eventually come round to the idea then it would undoubtedly be for the benefit of the XV de France.

My solution to that would be to divide France into 5 or 6 provinces, SR style, and create a European competition involving provinces

But no one at union and club level is driving the 'Provinces' agenda in our rugby. Who is?? You'd have to have a political driver and public interest to get the ball rolling. There is neither.

Provinces have been tried back in the 90s. They flopped massively. Nobody wanted them.

If the regions project comes about there could possibly be 7 groups/regions:
1. Oyonnax, Lyon,
2. Stade Francais and Racing (where have I heard that before?!!)
3. La Rochelle, Brive
4. Agen, Bordeaux,
5. Toulouse, Pau
6. Castres, Clermont
7. Montpellier, Toulon
completely bogus.

But no one at union and club level is driving the 'Provinces' agenda in our rugby. Who is?? You'd have to have a political driver and public interest to get the ball rolling. There is neither.

Provinces have been tried back in the 90s. They flopped massively. Nobody wanted them.
People need to change their mind then, I don't see how french rugby can improve if clubs keep controlling everything. And I've personally never enjoyed watching a top 14 game, despite trying all my best. Can't see why french people keep saying it's the best competition in the World, they aren't fooling anyone. Granted, it's possibly the competition involving the largest amount of money, or that has the biggest number of foreigners in it, but it's definitely not the toughest or the most pleasing to watch. I'd even say it's the most boring tournament worldwide.

Nope, provinces have never been tried in France, which is possibly why people were so reluctant to see them become the main comp system. The idea was suggested when we got into professionalism but it was never adopted. Fans are foolish, they won't try something new unless they witness its immediate effects. And short term thinking will never get us back onto our feet, only club leaders take immediate financial decisions to try and curb today's issues. We've got to be smarter than that and think on the long run.

People need to change their mind then, I don't see how french rugby can improve if clubs keep controlling everything.

It's not the fans that make the decisions. Saying 'people need change their mind' doesn't do it because fans are not in charge. No one is driving the Provinces agenda at any level in our rugby. Ask any one.

Can't see why french people keep saying it's the best competition in the World, they aren't fooling anyone.

But it's not the fans who say it's the best competition in the world! The press is saying that. Many fans here take the **** out of the Top 14. They can see its
many defects. Vast majority of fans I know are joking or complaining about the foreign players in our league. But they didn't recruit them! the clubs did. Nobody in Toulouse thinks the Top 14 is the best competition. The fans who know their rugby are hyper critical of the league.
I don't see how french rugby can improve if clubs keep controlling everything.
It's funny how the clubs get the blame for everything with you. But you haven't said a word about the main culprit... FFR. For the last 20 years every time the union had the opportunity to bring in reforms - they have backpedaled. After the 1995 WC in SA FFR talked and talked and talked about contracting the
internationals. They never jumped the gun. They had many opportunities to go into power sharing with the clubs. They pussied out every time. They can talk a blinder about everything and that's all unions do. They are run by talkers.

Laporte got elected and promised he would introduced union contracts for the internationals earlier this year. And since he got elected he's gone all quiet on the subject. He has one vice-president (Serge Simon) dedicated full time to the cause. Where is he? It's up to him and Laporte to make it happen. They are in charge of the national team no one else is. They have to negotiate with LNR or better, bypass the LNR pricks, and negotiate directly with each club. Who is stopping them. Time for FFR to get their finger out.

The clubs are not going to change just to suit the national team. It's up to FFR to drive the reforms that we know are necessary. The clubs are not going to do it for the union.
You are living in Utopia all right :D.

Last edited:
It's not the fans that make the decisions. Saying 'people need change their mind' doesn't do it because fans are not in charge. No one is driving the Provinces agenda at any level in our rugby. Ask any one.

But it's not the fans who say it's the best competition in the world! The press is saying that. Many fans here take the **** out of the Top 14. They can see its
many defects. Vast majority of fans I know are joking or complaining about the foreign players in our league. But they didn't recruit them! the clubs did. Nobody in Toulouse thinks the Top 14 is the best competition. The fans who know their rugby are hyper critical of the league.

It's funny how the clubs get the blame for everything with you. But you haven't said a word about the main culprit... FFR. For the last 20 years every time the union had the opportunity to bring in reforms - they have backpedaled. After the 1995 WC in SA FFR talked and talked and talked about contracting the
internationals. They never jumped the gun. They had many opportunities to go into power sharing with the clubs. They pussied out every time. They can talk a blinder about everything and that's all unions do. They are run by talkers.

Laporte got elected and promised he would introduced union contracts for the internationals earlier this year. And since he got elected he's gone all quiet on the subject. He has one vice-president (Serge Simon) dedicated full time to the cause. Where is he? It's up to him and Laporte to make it happen. They are in charge of the national team no one else is. They have to negotiate with LNR or better, bypass the LNR pricks, and negotiate directly with each club. Who is stopping them. Time for FFR to get their finger out.
The LNR, clubs and their presidents, easy answer.

They have the goods (financial means) and FFR is absurdly dependent on that. As badly as they fancy an agreement, they won't be able to negotiate unless those presidents and benefactors are ready to relinquish some of their rights and priorities to direct their attention towards les Bleus. THEY are the ones who decide how much a player's going to be involved with his club, regardless of him being called in the national squad or not. They are the ones who recruit foreigners, thus impeding new prospects from thriving in their own club. Young french players wouldn't benefit from enough game time until FFR decided to grant them a special status within the new development list after a negotiation with LNR. This is an encouraging step forward, but power is still held by a few wealthy men whose interest is to economically dominate all the other clubs.

And I, for one know that this issue doesn't seem to bother most of the fans, otherwise they wouldn't support that system, they wouldn't watch top 14 matches. I decided to stop watching them a long time ago, and if most supporters did that too, it would send a strong message to LNR. However it's not going to be done for obvious reasons.

Yes, FFR had to react sooner but now that the damage is done, it's time to amend the entire system, otherwise we will only worsen the situation.
Unfortunately it's not that easy for FFR to make themselves heard. Did you think it was THAT easy? Who's living in Utopia now?

Federal contracting is a move in the right direction, even if it takes 2 or 3 years to implement, and then in a year or two we'll see if the fortunes of the XV de France are beginning to get better. In the meantime, I'd be more than surprised if they won the 6N or the World Cup in 2019.
However, the Top14 must evolve in line with the needs of French rugby or the national team will suffer the consequences.

The LNR, clubs and their presidents, easy answer.

They have the goods (financial means) and FFR is absurdly dependent on that. As badly as they fancy an agreement, they won't be able to negotiate unless those presidents and benefactors are ready to relinquish some of their rights and priorities to direct their attention towards les Bleus. THEY are the ones who decide how much a player's going to be involved with his club, regardless of him being called in the national squad or not. They are the ones who recruit foreigners, thus impeding new prospects from thriving in their own club. Young french players wouldn't benefit from enough game time until FFR decided to grant them a special status within the new development list after a negotiation with LNR. This is an encouraging step forward, but power is still held by a few wealthy men whose interest is to economically dominate all the other clubs.

And I, for one know that this issue doesn't seem to bother most of the fans, otherwise they wouldn't support that system, they wouldn't watch top 14 matches. I decided to stop watching them a long time ago, and if most supporters did that too, it would send a strong message to LNR. However it's not going to be done for obvious reasons.

Yes, FFR had to react sooner but now that the damage is done, it's time to amend the entire system, otherwise we will only worsen the situation.
Unfortunately it's not that easy for FFR to make themselves heard. Did you think it was THAT easy? Who's living in Utopia now?

but you still haven't told us how provinces will offer a better alternative. Never mind the fact nobody wants them.

The Provinces blueprint doesn't fit our rugby. The clubs are too strong. Better use the club culture we have than copy-paste from NZ thinking it'll work.

England's rugby structure and club culture are quite similar to ours. Their clubs are strong (Saracens won the CCup) and England are ranked 2nd in world. England won the WC in 2003 with a strong club culture. So clubs are no impedement provided one knows how to work with them.

Billionaires like Altrad in Top 14 are a minority. They don't speak for LNR or FFR. They make decisions for their own club alone.

It's FFR that's not pulling its weight. They could have gone into partnership or power sharing with the clubs a long time ago. Every time they have let the national team down by dithering and not making the hard decisions. It's up to FFR to provide the framework and work with the clubs. The T14 clubs have to become stakeholders in the management of the national team since they provide the players. FFR has always treated them with contempt because somehow they run on the belief the national team is their little preserve and they think they're the only one qualified to run the blue ship. They've always had their head up their own arse.

Eddie Jones works with the clubs. He doesn't bleat about them or the Premiership.

Look at the last WC in 2015. The Camous clique didn't introduce a single reform after the defeat to NZ. They were voted out. Laporte and his friends talked a blinder about Federal contracts, were voted in and 6mths later we hear no more about the proposed contracts.

Laporte should bypass LNR and negotiate directly with every major Top 14 clubs - the ones that provide the internationals. Nobody is stopping him.

PS good to see you're from Colomiers. No need hide in Utopia ;)

Last edited:
It's reasonable to make a comparison with English club rugby, but in England it works and the national team are currently enjoying a purple patch, much of which is down to the elite players having been contracted and available for England squad training for a while now and also to the coaching style of Eddie Jones.

Looking at the French set-up, Federal contracts, as I've already mentioned, are a step in the right direction and time will tell if this bears fruit.
However, if we consider the coaches of Les Bleus, who was the last one who made a name for himself?
Guy Novès was probably the best club coach in France for many years, but doesn't necessarily mean that he'll be equally successful as coach of the XV de France, especially as he had been "shackled" by the intransigence of the clubs - and that is changing for the better.

Although he's been told that the FFR "has every confidence in him" (the famous kiss of death), his future will depend on the win/loss ratio of the Autumn Internationals and with games against the Boks and the Blacks, his chances of leading the side in the 6Nations must be no more than slim.
So who's in the frame to replace him? Les Bleus need a hard-nosed "Eddie Jones" to take control. Vern Cotter would have been my choice (he doesn't have any international experience but he knows French rugby inside out), but he's been bought by Altrad's money!

For once, I agree with FrenchFan inasmuch as the FFR simply have to pull their fingers out NOW and either negotiate with the clubs or bring about the radical changes that are necessary. If that means regional rugby, then so be it.
Something's got to give.

Although he's been told that the FFR "has every confidence in him" (the famous kiss of death), his future will depend on the win/loss ratio of the Autumn Internationals and with games against the Boks and the Blacks, his chances of leading the side in the 6Nations must be no more than slim.
So who's in the frame to replace him? Les Bleus need a hard-nosed "Eddie Jones" to take control. Vern Cotter would have been my choice (he doesn't have any international experience but he knows French rugby inside out), but he's been bought by Altrad's money!
Errr what?

Latest posts