• Thread starter THE CHIROPRACTOR101
  • Start date
T

THE CHIROPRACTOR101

Stirling performance lifts Brumbies

Saturday, February 18, 2006  Print this article
Email to a friend 

Bulls 21 Brumbies 27

Centre Stirling Mortlock grabbed a last-minute try to carry the ACT Brumbies to a win over the Bulls on Friday.

The Australian side bagged three tries without reply to claim a second successive away win, hitting back after the Bulls had taken the lead with three minutes to go.

Flyhalf Derick Hougaard kicked a long-range penalty to put the Pretoria-based Bulls in front.

But, in a brilliant final passage of play, the former champions combined down the right with half a dozen players handling the ball before centre Matt Giteau gave the scoring pass to Mortlock.

"We've always found it extremely tough to come and play at the Loftus Versfeld from a Brumbies and an Australian perspective because it's a cauldron and the home team will be up for it," Mortlock told reporters.

advertisement - story continues below

"We couldn't be happier with the effort and the intensity the boys showed for 80 minutes, even though we almost gave the game to the Bulls."

The score silenced a 41,000-strong crowd at a ground that a poll of Australian players released earlier this week had named as their most disliked.

Hougaard scored all the points for the Bulls, kicking six penalties and one drop goal.

Daniel Heenan picked up a 55th minute try for the Brumbies after former South Africa under-21 captain Clyde Rathbone had touched down in the 34th following a fine break by Giteau.

"We made too many mistakes, couldn't keep the ball and maybe kicked too much," said Bulls captain Fourie du Preez.

"Our game plan was to play in their half and it was working until the final minute."

The Brumbies lead the standings with eight points from two matches. The Bulls, on six points, are second.

Reuters

[/b]

:ph34r:

I was surpised that the Bulls actually kept the game so close. The Brumbies looked great in attack apart from some pointless kicks from Larkham in the Bulls' half.
Giteau should never be moved from inside center cause hes brillant there. Mortlock hit some good go forward and Rathbone was awesome. Gerrard kicked the ball well.

Was a good game really, the Bulls would be feeling pretty sore at the moment (losing in front of there home crowd and all).

The Bulls face off with the Waratahs next week... no idea of the score but it could be a double dose of the giant rats...

Hope so, I sincerly look forward to the day they take Gregan of the field... no more days boy, no more days

:toss: the Bulls were lucky to get inside the brumbies 22 a few times :bleh!:

Man I never thought I would see the Brumbies having to pull a rabbit out of the bag........thats normally reserved for the Reds....lol! The Brumbies are more clinical and win games over 80mins....they also lose games that way too :lol:

The Bulls had nothing on the Brumbies. All they could do is kick penalty goals. The Brumbies defence was just too good.

Originally posted by Bull@Feb 20 2006, 07:31 PM
I think the Brumbies have got a lot off injuries after the Bulls game.
No, just David Palavi - probably out for season.

Yep out for the season. But our 3rd string hooker is 30 years old or something so he has a fair bit of experience. Our 4th string hooker I think has promise cause Fisher doesn't want to expose him too early.

Originally posted by Bull+Feb 21 2006, 06:08 PM-->
Originally posted by Jacko@Feb 21 2006, 12:31 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Bull
@Feb 20 2006, 07:31 PM
I think the Brumbies have got a lot off injuries after the Bulls game.

No, just David Palavi - probably out for season.
And Rathbone? He took a big hit from Rossouw! :lol: [/b]
Rathbone takes a huge hit every week , especially from SA teams ..... for some reason i dont think they like him too much. <_<

He's pretty tough he should be ok..........he owes Barry a few high shots, hopefully he returns the favour this week.

Rathbone was awesome last week, the best I had seen him in ages. Gerrard also good on the wing instead of fullback.

Originally posted by Rassie@Feb 20 2006, 07:43 PM
Bulls deserve to win but those lucky buggers....huh.
That's a big call considering the Brumbies were the ones who score the tries... Maybe it's my rugby league background, but to me the team who crosses the line more generally deserves to win.

Agreed. Although maybe being a brumbies fan I give a biased opinion.

I think that teams should be encouraged to score as many tries as possible and play a much more attacking game. By reducing points for penalty goals and even (big call coming up) giving teams that lose bonus points (like scoring four tries and losing by less than 7) if they score more tries than there opponent. If this were case it would be possible for the losing side to get 3 points out of a loss. Also with a draw get a bonus point if you score more tries than opposition.

AGGRESSIVE, ATTACKING RUGBY!!!!

Originally posted by Jacko@Feb 22 2006, 07:31 PM
Agreed. Although maybe being a brumbies fan I give a biased opinion.

I think that teams should be encouraged to score as many tries as possible and play a much more attacking game. By reducing points for penalty goals and even (big call coming up) giving teams that lose bonus points (like scoring four tries and losing by less than 7) if they score more tries than there opponent. If this were case it would be possible for the losing side to get 3 points out of a loss. Also with a draw get a bonus point if you score more tries than opposition.

AGGRESSIVE, ATTACKING RUGBY!!!!
Please, stop thinking, or at least have yourself sterilized.

Latest posts