• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bunnings National Provincial Championship (NPC)

That's a pretty good side
ive given up hope based on how good the side has looked on paper...we've gone into several semis over the last decade with borderline super teams....maybe not super WINNING teams but with 8-12 super players....and got our arses kicked

although...this will probably be the year we win the championship....when theres no promotion

Congrats. That was a whipping. I don't know what the odds were but I fully expected an easy victory here. Manawatu started the season strong but couldn't maintain while other teams improved.

Josh Ioane has looked a top 10 for a while now - he created an excellent try through really good stepping & pace, then executed a well weighted grubber for Otago to score in the corner.

Feel bad for Hawkes bay there. Tasman finals experience counted for a lot with Hawkes bay starting the game a bit nervous.

Hawkes Bay played top rugby throughout the comp - after finishing top qualifier & playing at home they must feel really disappointed they didn't get through to the final.

Hey, friends - is promotion and relegation on hold this year? Having a hard time finding anything about that, thanks as always!

Hey, friends - is promotion and relegation on hold this year? Having a hard time finding anything about that, thanks as always!
my understanding is yes, no promotion or relegation this year...which is why we'll probably finally win the championship! typical

Giday mate... There's no promotion and relegation this year because Auckland, Counties & Harbour couldn't play in the comp because of Covid in the Auckland region.

my understanding is yes, no promotion or relegation this year...which is why we'll probably finally win the championship! typical
Thanks, that's what I thought. Finally found an article:

A - rugby jump.jpg
CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL :
Naki v Otago
Sat 20th Nov
{Inglewood} - 2.05pm {nzt}

A - rugby (2).jpg
PREMIERSHIP FINAL :
Waikato v Tasman
Sat 20th Nov
{Hamilton} - 7.05pm {nzt}

I looked it up, and it's between a 3 and a 3 1/2 hour drive from the Championship site to the Premiership site, anyone on the North Island planning to go to both? How good would that be?

Thanks, that's what I thought. Finally found an article:
Pretty bad call IMO. Not fair that the last out of 6 premiership sides gets demoted, bull shod. They were just worried it might be Canterbury.

A - rugby.jpg
CHAMPIONSHIP FINAL :
This arvo {Inglewood} - 2.05pm {nzt}

Naki : Stephen Perofeta, Jacob Ratumaitavuki-Kneepkens, Daniel Waite, Tei Walden, Kini Naholo, Jayson Potroz, Logan Crowley, Pita Gus Sowakula, Tom Florence, Bradley Slater, Mickey Wolliams, Kaylum Boshier, Michael Bent, Ricky Riccitelli, Jared Proffit.
Reserves : Mills Sanerivi, Donald Brighouse, Kyle Stewart, Scott Jury, Mitchell Croswell, Liam Blyde, Daniel Rona, Vereniki Tikoisolomone.

Otago : Sam Gilbert, Freedom Vahaakolo, Matt Faddes, Sio Tomkinson, Vilimoni Koroi, Josh Ioane, Kayne Hammington, Christian Lio-Willie, James Lentjes (c), Sam Fischli, Josh Dickson, Joshua Hill, Jermaine Ainsley, Liam Coltman, Josh Hohneck.
Reserves : Ricky Jackson, Abraham Pole, Tau Koloamatangi, Fabian Holland, Slade McDowall, James Arscott, Cameron Millar, Raymond Nu'u.

Referee : Dan Waenga

A - blue & white boots.png
PREMIERSHIP FINAL :
Tonight {Hamilton} - 7pm {nzt}

Waikato : Ryan Tongia, Liam Coombes-Fabling, Bailyn Sullivan, Gideon Wrampling, Mosese Dawai, D'Angelo Leuila, Cortez Ratima, Jack Lam, Mitch Jacobson, Samipeni Finau, Hamilton Burr, James Tucker, George Dyer, Rhys Marshall, Ayden Johnstone (c).
Reserves : Steven Misa, Ollie Norris, Sefo Kautai, Rupeni Tamani, Liam Messam, Te Toiroa Tahuriorangi, Fletcher Smith, Beaudein Waaka.

Tasman : Andrew Knewstubb, Timoci Tavatavanawai, Leicester Fainga'anuku, Alex Nankivell, Regan Ware, Mitchell Hunt (cc), Louie Chapman, Te Ahiwaru Cirikidaveta, Anton Segner, Jacob Norris, Quinten Strange (cc), Antonio Shalfoon, Sam Matenga, Andrew Makalio, Isi Tuungafasi.
Reserves : Quentin MacDonald, Luca Inch, Isaac Salmon, Max Hicks, Hugh Renton, Noah Hotham, Macca Springer, Levi Aumua.

Referee : Nick Briant

Naki looks like they're on their way to a win, deserved I would say better all around and Otago very guilty of not capitalising when we were on attack

Naki looks like they're on their way to a win, deserved I would say better all around and Otago very guilty of not capitalising when we were on attack
Only saw the 2nd half - thought Otago had every chance to win in the last 40 min... as you say whenever Otago was deep in Naki's half on attack they tended to turn the ball over, can only blame themselves.

just the fact this section is still called the "Mitre 10 Cup" tells me there isn't much interest....but here goes anyway

pretty big news for wellington, Im a bit fan of playing at smaller grounds to try and get more atmosphere etc....but Porirua isn't just around the corner and not sure this is going to help RAISE interest in the team in the inner city....I hoping they have done the research and know there is a large group of fans that were coming in to town but will go to Porirua

just the fact this section is still called the "Mitre 10 Cup" tells me there isn't much interest....but here goes anyway

pretty big news for wellington, Im a bit fan of playing at smaller grounds to try and get more atmosphere etc....but Porirua isn't just around the corner and not sure this is going to help RAISE interest in the team in the inner city....I hoping they have done the research and know there is a large group of fans that were coming in to town but will go to Porirua

Does seem odd, but then again rugby isn't very popular in central wellington. And I imagine the select few fans that go to npc games will still go to porirua.

I guess porirua stadium is cheaper.

Does seem odd, but then again rugby isn't very popular in central wellington. And I imagine the select few fans that go to npc games will still go to porirua.

I guess porirua stadium is cheaper.
i think it sums up a bit of a problem in NZ rugby...dont actually seem to be trying to grow the support...there is a bit of a "we're here and people should just know it and love us"

my football team in the UK returned to Wimbledon after 30 years of ground hopping, and so although we are the Wimbledon team we didnt have the links to the community...only the hard out existing fan base....so the team has undertaken a huge effort on the back of volunteers to become part of the community. really obvious stuff like pop up shops in the town centre but more importantly started a action group that that does things like meals on wheels and community projects

Latest posts