• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bye bye Leeds

B

Boy

Falcons beating Sale today means that Leeds are relegated from the Guiness Premiership. Can't say I'm particularly sad to see them go; horrible ground, an uninspiring style of play and above all, Iain Balshaw.

Bar Justin Marshall, the squad doesn't really have that many players that clubs will be looking to lure away. Bell is apparently going to Worcester, Snyman's going back to SA. Biggs, Hooper and Palmer will probably attract some attention, as may Gordon Ross. Danny Care from the England U19s looks a very good prospect, but he may want to get some experience in Division 1 before moving away.

Thoughts...

Originally posted by Boy@Apr 16 2006, 04:42 PM
Thoughts...
Never mind eh... :D

Not at all sad to see them go, I doubt many people will be.

Apparently Saints are in the mix for Biggs and Care, although these are only rumours.

Personally I'd like to see if we could take Tom Palmer off their hands, been one of their more impressive figures.

Hopefully they won't make it back up to the top flight any time soon.

Ahh its good to finally be able to breath, knowing we are safe, I went to the Bath's last game of last season, when we played Leeds with my mate whos a northampton fan, and well if you could of seen his nerves on the last day, to be honest tho, there was some excitement for the last game of the season...
I wont be sad to see Leeds go down tho, as Bath never really did that well against them....

Wonder whether Quins will be pushing to shut the league off, next season..... should be interesting to see whether they do....

I think Gavin Kerr will probably leave and return to a club in Scotland, I see Gordon Bulloch and Dunbar also moving. Maybe Richard Parks and Nathaen Thomas will return to Wales?

Isn't it strange that exactly this time a year ago, Leeds had secured a place in Europe by winning the Powergen Cup.

I know they don't have many fans on here, but you gotta feel sorry for the diehard fans, who will be feeling very downhearted right now.

It's not all doom and gloom - lots of local derbies in ND1 to look forward to next season!

This ain't too bad as it ain't that hard a team to dismantle, the stars can move on and the youngsters will stay. Not many hard decisions to make as the other Gb players will move to home clubs.

BM

Glad to see them go down, worst club in the premiership.

I think Quins are a better team by far. Bye bye Marshall.

Wasn't suprised to see them down, but I have to say they had the game at Edgeley Park, Marshall played well, but we ran in two injury time tries.

Marshall wouldn't be bad at Sale, we need a WC SH.

'Quins should be good next year, with Mehrt's and others. They just need G'wood and G'old Staunton.

BM

Wasn't there some rumour going around that there was a clause in Marshalls contract that said if Quins got promoted Marshall would sign with them?

Or is that just a product of my mind?

Sounds like **** Ripper... But a Marshall/Mehrtens combination would never work. Not in a million years...

My mind spouts alot of ****.

Andrew Johns will be starting for the Warriors next year.

You heard it here first.

Originally posted by kaftka@Apr 17 2006, 07:43 PM
Sounds like **** Ripper... But a Marshall/Mehrtens combination would never work. Not in a million years...
:lol:
yeah i herd that rumor too. but i doubt they would release him from their contract.

Why doesn't anyone really like Leeds? I mean, I'm happy it's them and not the Saints or the LIR (not that they were in any danger anyways), but I've felt this general animosity towards them from other people.

Originally posted by Canadian_Rugby_Guy@Apr 18 2006, 02:55 AM
Why doesn't anyone really like Leeds? I mean, I'm happy it's them and not the Saints or the LIR (not that they were in any danger anyways), but I've felt this general animosity towards them from other people.
Reasons to hate Leeds Tykes:

Leeds got saved by the RFU four seasons ago, staying in the Premiership when they should have been relegated. So there's one reason.

They've got a horrible ground which, until recently, hadn't been touched since it was built in the 1930s. It may well be the arsehole of the world. Plus it's not signposted from within the city, so you get lost on a Friday night and miss the first twenty minutes (maybe that's just me and Rob).

They only average attendances of a few thousand, which in itself isn't a bad thing, but it's never a friendly, traditional Rugby Union crowd.

They've only be kept alive this long because of the Rhinos. Left to their own devices and without Headingley, they would never have even seen the Premiership.

Oh, and Iain Balshaw.

Definitely agree with your last point. I'm not a big fan of Leeds and always liked Quins. I wouldn't mind seeing Newcastle go down, that'd shut Rob Andrew up almost permanently. Apart from the whinging about relegation mind.

Latest posts