• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Bye bye Leeds

Originally posted by Muse_Cubed@Apr 17 2006, 05:25 PM
Definitely agree with your last point. I'm not a big fan of Leeds and always liked Quins. I wouldn't mind seeing Newcastle go down, that'd shut Rob Andrew up almost permanently. Apart from the whinging about relegation mind.
Andrews isn't the most loved of men in Newcastle at the moment though. The Falcons fans aren't best pleased with him and his excuses, and many want him out.

Originally posted by PeeJay@Apr 18 2006, 05:14 AM
Leeds isn't exactly a traditional Rugby Union city, is it?
Maybe, but Yorkshire IS a rugby union county.

We need a new team to take on the mantle - step forward the Rotherham Earth ***ans!

Yorkshire's not a Union county. What with all those League teams, how can you possibly say it's a Union county?

If Leeds had played just a bit better in the past few weeks or had started the season in that sort of way they could still be up. In the past few games they were leading Sale at Sale untill the final few minutes. The then were beating Leicester at welford road untill a try seconds before the end. they also managed to score 4 tries and not be a million miles from beating London Irish away with 14 men for most of the match. I can't see many of their better players staying around now. I just hope Balshaw stays with them in D1.

Balshaw should show some loyalty really, as Leeds stuck with him for so long, while he has been injured, for him to up and leave would be a ****-take really.

Bet Marshall is regretting that story from a few weeks ago when he pledged his loyalty to Leeds even if they got relegated!

Hasn't put him in a very good light - especially considering Mehrtens didn't make any fuss at all about still joining Quins even though they were relegated to ND1 before he officially joined.

Not sure many teams would want Marshall - especially given it will cost a few quid to buy him out of his contract, assuming Leeds wont just give him handshake and a "good luck in your new job" leaving card!!!

Maybe Wasps - don't they need an over the hill, ex-international, complaining scrum-half??

Marshall they say is not 100% commited to Leeds so its gonna be interesting.

Maybe a buy for the Quins

I look forward to seeing over the hill internationals come down from the GP each season. So I hope he sticks with them so I can see one of our monstrous pack knock his legs from under him.

Originally posted by Canadian_Rugby_Guy@Apr 17 2006, 03:55 PM
Why doesn't anyone really like Leeds? I mean, I'm happy it's them and not the Saints or the LIR (not that they were in any danger anyways), but I've felt this general animosity towards them from other people.
We all hate Leeds (scum).

It's just an English thing.

Originally posted by PeeJay@Apr 18 2006, 08:34 AM
Yorkshire's not a Union county. What with all those League teams, how can you possibly say it's a Union county?
Yorkshire has 88 active league clubs, far more than any other county. In addition, there are 10 'senior' clubs in the National Leagues â€" again, more than anyone else.

Originally posted by St Helens RLFC+Apr 18 2006, 04:46 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Canadian_Rugby_Guy
@Apr 17 2006, 03:55 PM
Why doesn't anyone really like Leeds? I mean, I'm happy it's them and not the Saints or the LIR (not that they were in any danger anyways), but I've felt this general animosity towards them from other people.

It's just an English thing. [/b]
Are there any Leeds fans on here? or are they too scared to join?

add just to add to the marshall thing

Marshall reportedly gains release from Leeds
19 April 2006 

Justin Marshall has severed his career with English rugby Leeds after one season despite having a year remaining on his contract.

Radio Sport reported today that the former All Blacks halfback has managed to gain an early release after Leeds were relegated from the premiership over the weekend.

Radio Sport said the club was expected to make an announcement tomorrow.

This week Marshall, 32, publicly stated he did not want to play in the National League One, and said he had played his "heart and guts out this season" and it would be an act of good faith if the club released him.

The report follows Leeds chief executive Gary Hetherington confirming yesterday that Marshall had no escape clause in his deal after he joined them last year.

"Justin will be playing for Leeds in National League One next season," Hetherington said.

French side Bourgouin has reportedly made overtures towards Marshall, while the 81-test All Black has also been linked with English side Harlequins.

Robbie Deans, Marshall's former coach at the Crusaders, said if the combative No 9 wanted to return to New Zealand, he should be warmly welcomed by the New Zealand Rugby Union.

"He's a class act isn't he? I would think New Zealand rugby would be delighted to have him back on the roster," Deans told The Press.

Deans said the Crusaders "would look at that at the time," when asked if they would be willing to have Marshall back.
[/b]

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3641674a1823,00.html

we dont need him back here really :)

Well, whether Marshall sticks in the GP or not is going to be interesting..

Originally posted by gjohn85+Apr 19 2006, 09:59 AM-->
Originally posted by St Helens RLFC@Apr 18 2006, 04:46 PM

Are there any Leeds fans on here? or are they too scared to join? [/b]
Im a leeds fotball fan but that doen't count
does it?

Originally posted by gjohn85+Apr 18 2006, 09:59 PM-->
Originally posted by St Helens RLFC@Apr 18 2006, 04:46 PM

Are there any Leeds fans on here? or are they too scared to join? [/b]
There aren't any Leeds fans, let alone any fans who'd join a internet forum.

They can't use a keyboard with those webbed hands, y'see.