• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

California Tournament + how to go into a tackle?

S

SFRugby

So this saturday we had a really great tournament in Sacramento, where many people from different rugby cities came to play, with both male and female. Our team San Francisco came to play and left as second place in varsity division. First place came a team from Jesuit, I forget where they came from, but they did a great job. They maintained control of the ball so well and their offense was pretty good as well. A question I wanted to ask you guys was when you go into the tackle should you have both hands on the ball because a reason i think we lost control of the ball so many times was because our players were trying to do that football thing where we have the ball in one hand and we have the other hand out trying to repel the opposition.

Any comments would be great Thanks

you in high school man?

if youre talking jesuit they are incredible!!

and to answer youre question its just a matter or preference i go in one hand usually.

Just make sure the ball is tight against you and don't be afraid to try a sneaky offload if your team mates are up to the task of catching and pressing onwards past you.

Remember its not just about gaining yards like in Football but its also about getting that ball over the try line so don't feel that you need to do everything yourself.

yea theyre super good, we played against westerville last year and st eds both teams from ohio who qualified for nationals (westerville #4 in the country).

your team (not yours exactly, just in general) losing the ball in high school generally has to do with the runner not knowing when to go down and let your mates ruck over (the football thing when they go for yardage), not posting the ball on the ground right or your ruckers aren't doing their jobs. but that's just a guess since i really dont know the details in which you're losing possession.

One thing that I've always been taught is when you go into the tackle, always go in with two hands. With one hand, it's easy for the opposition to rip the ball from you or you could knock it on. If you go in with two hands the chances of you dropping it is less, as is the chance the opposition can rip the ball from you. When you go to the ground, use your abs to turn your body so you're lying parrallell to the try line and place the ball as far back from you as you can. Lying parrallell gives you the advantage of widening 'the gate' (ie the point of entry to the ruck) and it's also easier to place the ball back. Another way to ensure retention is make sure that your ball carrier is isolated. If you find yourself on your own, try and stand for as long as possible and allow for support to arrive.

If you're intentionally going into contact, try and go in low, so it's more difficult for the opposition player to try and drive you back. Just hold the ball to your chest with both arms, lead with the shoulder and bosh into the opposition player.

One thing that I've always been taught is when you go into the tackle, always go in with two hands. With one hand, it's easy for the opposition to rip the ball from you or you could knock it on. If you go in with two hands the chances of you dropping it is less, as is the chance the opposition can rip the ball from you. When you go to the ground, use your abs to turn your body so you're lying parrallell to the try line and place the ball as far back from you as you can. Lying parrallell gives you the advantage of widening 'the gate' (ie the point of entry to the ruck) and it's also easier to place the ball back. Another way to ensure retention is make sure that your ball carrier is isolated. If you find yourself on your own, try and stand for as long as possible and allow for support to arrive.
[/b]

Mate widening the gate is never anadvantage, all it does is allow a greater area for the defenders to enter the ruck, you want to go to ground and jacknife your body so you are pushing the ball back to your toes laying tryline to tryline, this not only closes the size of the gate but also gets the ball further away from the opposition

this is classic, a newbie telling an age group representative and a scouted player!!!

sl back to the topic anyway, widening the gate s a disadvantage

I agree with seaeagles there, when u widen the gate, it will leave a smaller chance of offside looking at it from a ref point of view... and from a player's point of view I will have more room to smash ur kidney!!!! :p

caledfwlch, add "international playa" to ur list... :p

OSU Blue Posted Yesterday, 09:43 PM
your team (not yours exactly, just in general) losing the ball in high school generally has to do with the runner not knowing when to go down and let your mates ruck over (the football thing when they go for yardage), not posting the ball on the ground right or your ruckers aren't doing their jobs. but that's just a guess since i really dont know the details in which you're losing possession.[/b]

We lost the ball in many different ways, but we mainly lost the ball because when we went into the tackle Jesuit would tackle our guy facing toward their line. The positioning of the body down on the floor is pretty bad, like it wouldn't be horizontal to the line but vertical. Does that make sense OSU? Thanks for all the advce you guys.

jesuit is very good and they do that often... very often its just the way they play.

i wish my team was better at rucking!

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Mate widening the gate is never anadvantage, all it does is allow a greater area for the defenders to enter the ruck, you want to go to ground and jacknife your body so you are pushing the ball back to your toes laying tryline to tryline, this not only closes the size of the gate but also gets the ball further away from the opposition
[/b][/quote]

It's an advantage if your team knows how to defend a ruck. If you lie toes to the try line, one of your own team could come along and boot the ball away. Much safer to go my way :p

Latest posts