• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Can front row players afford to be fat any more?

Just merely pointing out how frequently the poster who was previously banned for racism flip flops through a load of ill informed views on a sport he doesn't understand. Mike Ross too was in his 6 Nations XV not long ago as well ... http://www.therugbyforum.com/thread...ns-XV?p=656828&highlight=Mike+Ross#post656828

yep. Again with the cryptic findings :rolleyes: this is really getting creepy ! where does "racism" come into me thinking Mike Ross isn't a great TH today ?...right.
As if this needed justification now *sigh*

I remember that time, Ross had a good 6N and Ireland were on the rise, they were coming off a great performance in the scrum in Twickenham, were big in the scrum against Wales too earlier, and then came to France and were pretty good in there too. I do remember earlier during the year Ross getting smashed in the scrum vs Castres in the HCup vs Yannick Forestier, so......I later understood Adam Jones (though not his direct adversary in the front row) was on the decline, and Thomas Domingo had turned into a complete joke (remember he got penalized like 4 times and ousted of the match against Ireland as early as HT).
I later saw more Mike Ross getting smashed in the scrum, and never thought he was a great addition in the loose and firmly believe Ireland would do that much better with a better TH.

Now if this makes me a racist bonna fide moron Satanist pig shagging racist moron who doesn't understand Rugby (a game that can only be assimilated by the great geniuses of the world) then so be it.
But now for the grownup stuff: admins can you please take my demand into account. This individual is crazy, clearly a cryptic, obscure, psychologically unbalanced guy, and I don't want to have some fkng stalker online watching my every move (as he's proved time and time and time and time and time again he is). I've been banned for much, much less and never did anything as serious or strange as stalking people and throwing all my life's negativity and pitiful spitefulness at them. Please acknowledge. Thank you.

P.S.: about being on topic, I've written my opinion in a long post above, and obviously duck couldn't be a functional human being and pick anything from there, he had to call me a racist moron who liked Cittadini then changed his mind...:D

Oh both of you shut up. So childish "oh he said this", "but he said this".

Grow the hell up.

Sort of. They need to be big enough to move the scrum and clear the rucks and if the team is trying a pick and drive tactic. However, at the same time they need to be fit enough the make their way around the pitch; to get back up and get to the next ruck; to keep up when there's a breakthrough and to have some chance of breaking away if they (unlikely) make a run.

It's a very specific demand to have the 'perfect' prop nowadays. I don't find it too hard to imagine teams having more fit less fat props in say a decades time.

SCRUM SIMPLIFIED
There has been no effectual changes to the scrum downs. The idea that the hooker needs to be jammed farther forward
to reach the ball was created initially over 120 years ago. At that time there were as many as 5 or 6 per side in front row.
The only purpose this serves present day is to create an unnecessary pressure point. From that center point the front
row can be pushed, pulled and twisted left, right, up or down. The clear alternative to this is in fact already in the law book
under front row binding. Have the hooker come in under the props in support of front row; and not to a convex point:
But rather slightly concave. In other words the hooker will not throw his arms over and around the props asthey set up
for scrum but the opposite. The props wrap over and around the hooker. There are several other advantages to
this: For example the hooker is has more freedom not just to protect himself but also easier to engage his rear bumper/locks (or not)
This improved method not only lessens the wheel and/or collapse but relieves much pressure off tight head
and hooker. I played for 34 years - 31 as a hooker. Don't be so quick to condemn or ridicule before trying it. I've done it-
It Works just fine.
Sincerely,

- - - Updated - - -

Nevertheless, the props of modern rugby aren't as fat as you think, the true fats are the Defensive Tackles of NFL. They weigh on average 150 kg, most of them are obese morbid. In modern rugby there is little props in excess of 150 kg, or even 140 kgs. Most modern props weigh between 105 and 120 kgs.

An example of Defensive Tackle of NFL:

Vince Wilfork (New England Patriots) Height: 1.88 m Weight: 147 kg

141127020420323369.jpg

In international rugby few players who exceed 150 kgs, Uini Atonio is one of them, but it's shown that players of that weight in modern rugby only can play as impact players, they can't withstand the intense pace for 80 minutes.

Uini Atonio

Height: 1.97 m Weight: 155 kg

141127020418212757.jpg

American football is very different, the field only measures 50 meters wide, while a rugby field is 70 meters wide on average, that's a HUGE difference. Furthermore rugby is faster, so a 150 kg player can play american football but can't play modern rugby, or at least can't stand in it

I live in Fort Wayne, Indiana, US - NFL football players are divided into 2 basic categories - fast but weak & big but slow .... NFL players are lazy, out of shape cheap-shot artists. There time on the field is limited and situational.

I live in Fort Wayne, Indiana, US - NFL football players are divided into 2 basic categories - fast but weak & big but slow .... NFL players are lazy, out of shape cheap-shot artists. There time on the field is limited and situational.

Is Adrian Peterson weak?

:eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ya know, back when I first started watching the game (around 2000-2001) I thought the front row players were thinner. When I look back at old videos of games played before the pro era most of the players looked thin, even wiry. I had a 'forced' break from rugby mid/late-2000s (no tv coverage), and when I started watching the game again I thought to myself that players had really bulked up, some even being what I would consider fat. I feared these beefy players would slow down the game, make it more of a kicking game than a runnin...oh, wait.

Nevermind.

;)

das

As long as they can do their core tasks of scrummaging, hitting rucks and are the right fit for their teams gameplan, they can be however fat they want to be. Rugby is always evolving and props will follow suite, whether they lean down and have more of a loose forwards build or stay the same, the fundamentals wont change. Pack down at scrum time, clear out rucks and defend their line with the rest of their better looking teammates.

Last edited:

Latest posts