• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Can Worcester's new signings save them?

O

oli_taylor

Worcester are seriously struggling at the moment.

Can the be saved?

I'm unsure whether Gear will be effective as the back line is so bad at the moment... miss pass to the wing every time?

Ah! A long suffering Warriors fan. Nothing worse than hearing visiting fans singing "Warriors are going home" to the tune of "Come on you warriors" at Sixways...very sad.

By watching Worcester vs Ospreys on the weekend just passed, you get the horrible feeling that Mike Ruddock is already drilling the players for the relegation dogfight. Gear might create some magic but one or two quality players does not a guaranteed survival make. Northampton for example last year had two superb players who tried their best (although to be fair one was injured for a long period of time) but to no avail.

P.S How is the Sixways revamp going? I could make out the park and ride tarmac where the old training pitches used to be on the telly but the temporary stand is still there. Aren't they meant to be building a new stand or something? Do the buses still have to drive down that horrible dirt track?

Sammy Tuitupo is enough to turn Worcesters backline around, not Gear.

Tuitupo would be a better signing than McAlister or Mauger would have been to shore up a failing backline. He's a brickwall (that moves rapidly) on defense and is a hard straight runner, unlike the flashier more creative McAlister and Mauger.

So, if you're finding yourself in a dogfight to stay up, I don't think you could look past Tuitupo. He is also a very strong leader and gets the best from those around him. He is similar to Mauger in his ability to take pressure off his insides (No10).

Tuitupo is strong at punching holes in defensive patterns and also has a strong offload. If you couple this to Gear's speed and finishing ability then Ruddock's expansive playbook can be replicated in the GP.

Rawlinson is another good buy for Worcester, he is growing into a very efficient and well rounded lock forward and is more than handy in the lineout.

But Tuitupo has been the heart of the Auckland and Blues teams over the last year and will likely be the heart of the Warriors.

Pity that he broke his wrist last week in the final, where he lead Auckland to an unbeaten season (including capturing the Ranfurly Shield) no less! So he'll be back in December.

Until Ruddock stops copying Brains grand scheme of wasting Drahm at fullback and moving him into his prefered outside half slot, I can't see them surviving this season.

Which really would be a sucker punch for the league if Leeds stayed up.

It's already looking like a 2 horse race for relegation. If the new signings to Worcester give them some cutting edge, they'll have the edge over Leeds.

I live in southern hemisphere but know worcester from signings of the three all blacks. And I am really surprised to see them in the bottom of the table. Tuitupou is good and solid player and Rico gear is really good finisher but he is not as lively, you don't see him too much in the field so i don't really think he would give huge impact but i think tuitupou will. I am pretty sure 3 all blacks would make strong impact and it would be unbelievable if the 3 recent all blacks play in the 2nd division.

Worcester are perennial bottom feeders; propping up the table for months on end then somehow stringing a couple of wins together and somehow surviving by the skin of their teeth.

While the new ABs in the lineup will certainly be better for them then the likes of Tucker, however nothing will happen for them until they get a decent forwards coach and a competitive pack. Ruddock may have bitten off more then he can chew at Sixways.

I do feel sorry for their fans.

My mate is a warriors fan.He is not a happy bunny at the moment they can't compete upfront.Went to watch them against bath and they got killed upfront. They need to go back to the rugby they played when they came up.Hard tuff,not pretty anything to win rugby.

With recent rumours (suggesting that Irish ambitions to join the EDF Cup will mean this event becomes more of a backseat/development league) and with the success of the Super League leading to a likely expansion in teams, would it make sense financially (and for the growth of the game) if the GP was expanded to include another 2 teams also?

This would then allow the 13th GP side that plays the Yo-Yo game every season to retain that lucrative premiership spot and for another fringe NL1 side to gain some exposure and speed their growth as a top flight club.

A 14 side premiership would then create a 14 team NL1. Problems with the added games to the calendar (26 instead of 22) could then be absorbed to by removing EDF fixtures (as these are soon to become second rate games). Just a theory anyway.

The EDF Cup is already full of second rate games.

Go back to the old FA Cup style straight knock-out tournament involving all the tiers of English rugby, get rid of the player-offs and add two more teams to the Guinness Premiership while retaining promotion and relegation.

Bish, bash, bosh. Problem sorted.

All we need now is someone with the common sense to actually change the current system.

The EDF Cup is already full of second rate games.

Go back to the old FA Cup style straight knock-out tournament involving all the tiers of English rugby, get rid of the player-offs and add two more teams to the Guinness Premiership while retaining promotion and relegation.

Bish, bash, bosh. Problem sorted.

All we need now is someone with the common sense to actually change the current system.
[/b]

That is like music to my ears. The EDF cup is the league cup of rugby, not taken seriously till the later stages and clogs up the fixture list and schedule of home and away.
Also who doesnt miss the old cup games. I remember watching Berry Hill almost beat a Quins team containing Skinner and Carling in terrible conditions. Rugby nirvana! mind you , getting back to reality the gap between the leagues is bigger than ever now. But god it would be fun to watch.

Worcester have announced the signing of Chris Latham... and Gear Ripped apart the Gran Parma defence at sixways.

Also, I noticed that the Worcester forwards dominated ospreys in the edf cup match a while back, but the back were so bad and couldnt string 2 passes together... and nancy boy ryan powell faffed around too much at the back of rucks!!!

Chris Latham is going to be great for Worcester, probably the best fullback in the world right now. I don't know the warriors squad that well, but a backline featuring Rico Gear, Chris Latham, and Shane Drahm might be able to play some nice rugby.

How the f***ing f*** did Worcester manage to lure Chris Latham?

Did he think he was being offered a contract at Gloucester? I don't understand it at all, he doesn't fit into their stogey style of play.

Drahm should go in my opinion...
9.....HELP!!!
10. Crichton,
11. Garvey,
12. Tuitipou
13. Rasmussen/ Pennell/(Gear)
14. Gear(/Delport)
15. Latham

he is not premiership standard.

Worcester need a decent scrum half... and the backs will be good!!!

How the f***ing f*** did Worcester manage to lure Chris Latham?

Did he think he was being offered a contract at Gloucester? I don't understand it at all, he doesn't fit into their stogey style of play. [/b]

Well....you could ask the same about Carlos Spencer and Northampton. Both clubs have sizable and passionate fans and both have superb facilities and grounds for each respective player to enjoy.

I mean...its not as if he's joining Leeds or Saracens, put it in perspective mate!

Quote Pitty the pack couldn't knock over a Jenga tower however.

based on what?

the Worcester pack are statistically one of the strongest in the premiership.... its just that they are let down by the 9!!!

Latest posts