• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Cardiff Blues consider Arms Park return

I thought the Arms Park was supposed to be demolished in the near future. And i think the Blues actually wanted to stay there but they couldn't afford it and neither could the WRU.

Last edited:
Never heard anything about demolision plans, the club team still use it. City centre rugby is essential for the Blues - crowds before facilities!

Give it another season at CCS or wherever, and redevelop CAP (and the North Stand at MS).
Best location for a stadium on the planet, apart from RP, that is.

I thought the Arms Park was supposed to be demolished in the near future. And i think the Blues actually wanted to stay there but they couldn't afford it and neither could the WRU.

It was meant to be refurbished and the South Stand along with 'Glanmor's Gap' (in the MS) were to be re-built to add extra seats in.

They have a huge 20 year deal with the new stadium so it may cost a fair bit to get them out of it, the problem for the poor crowds at the Welsh regions are they are pricing the fans out of the games, common sense should previl, lower the ticket prices what is it about £25 a ticket to see the Ospreys play if they charge around £10 - £12 a ticket more people would go to the games, they would take younger fans to games, by the time they buy food and programmes etc, the money reduced from the inflated ticket prices would mainly be paid back, and the atmophere would be twice as good.

I believe the main reason why teams are struggling to fill the stadiums is the price of tickets, they are charging much the same as the football teams that also play at the stadiums and they need to realise this is not premier league football with over inflated price on everything.

Also the poor standard recently of the regions is keeping fans away on top of that after speaking to people around where I live they dont support the Ospreys because they are Neath fans and their biggest rivals are Swansea.

Agree with all this.

Also every home game of all the Welsh regions is shown live on terrestial tv (except European).Who's going to pay to freeze in a three quarters empty stadium when you can watch it at home or in the pub for nothing

Also every home game of all the Welsh regions is shown live on terrestial tv (except European).Who's going to pay to freeze in a three quarters empty stadium when you can watch it at home or in the pub for nothing

This might be true, but it's still important to televise as many games as possible, because some fans simply cannot attend matches. It would have been very difficult and very expensive for me to regularily go to watch matches, travelling down from Aberystwyth. It's physically impossible now I'm at university in Lincoln.

If I lived in South Wales, I'd certainly attend plenty of regional games, although I wouldn't go out of my way to go watch the Ospreys or Blues with their turgid playing styles. Price is also an important factor. I never understand their price structures. Surely it would make sense when stadiums are half empty to half the price of tickets, to try and attract double the number of people. The club doesn't lose out on any money, but the atmosphere is increased tenfold, the team are buoyed by the support hopefully affecting the performance a little. Is that not win, win? Maybe halving ticket prices is a little extreme, but they could easily reduce the tickets to 2/3 the cost and increase numbers, probably taking in more money overall.

Cardiff Arms Park is definately a more convenient. I went along yesterday to watch, and I probably wouldnt have done had it been at Cardiff City Stadium. Pics of the game @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/sumofmarc/sets/72157629263848661/

It will be interesting to see if more games are moved to the Arms Park now, and if they do, whether the better crowd will be maintained.

Found out that if the blues want to buy out of the 20year lease it will be just under £6m as they got 17 years left and its approx 350,000 a year weather they can still make yearly payments of that to Cardiff City instead of paying £6m in one go is another thing but they will be playing back at the arms park for pretty much all games this season that are left.

Last edited:

Latest posts