• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Cardiff Blues v Edinburgh

A

An Tarbh

<div align='center'>
Cardiff.png
Edinburgh.png

Cardiff Blues v Edinburgh</div>

Robin Sowden Taylor will captain Cardiff Blues in their 80th and final Arms Park game before their move to a new stadium in Leckwith.

The Blues' five Lions are rested, Tom Shanklin and Xavier Rush out injured.

Edinburgh have rested Mike Blair for the final Magners League game of the season ahead of the Lions tour.

Greig Laidlaw takes Blair's place at scrum-half in one of three changes as Edinburgh chase an unprecedented sixth straight victory in the league.

Recent Edinburgh signing Roddy Grant replaces the injured Alan MacDonald at open-side flanker against the Blues.

And John Houston is given a start on the wing in place of Andy Turnbull.

Versatile back Houston came off the bench against Newport Gwent Dragons last weekend to score Edinburgh's opening try on the way to a bonus-point triumph.

It was Houston's second try in three games and the 26-year-old supplemented that achievement the following day by coaching Heriot's to a Scottish Hydro Electric Cup final triumph over Melrose.

Houston, who has been working with the Premier One club as both a fitness consultant and backs coach this season, hopes his run of success continues at Cardiff Arms Park with what would be Edinburgh's all-time best winning streak.

"Last weekend was really special and memorable," he said. "Those two results made it a dream weekend for me at Murrayfield and hopefully Edinburgh can carry our winning form to Cardiff next weekend.

"To be honest, my try was probably one of the easiest I'm ever likely to score, but it got the ball rolling.

"After the try, we relaxed a bit and then we managed to get the bonus point."

Edinburgh presently occupy fourth spot, the same as last season, but are just two points behind Ospreys and Leinster.

"Everyone is determined to finish the season on a high note and finish higher than we did last season," said Houston.

"Over the past month, we've set a few new records and the confidence in the team has grown massively.

"But we know how tough it will be against Cardiff; they are one of the strongest teams in Europe, especially at home."

Fifth-placed Blues will be looking to bounce back from a bruising 30-9 defeat at home to Scarlets on Wednesday.

But Edinburgh have won three of their last four games at the ground and their last three matches against Welsh opposition.

"I hope the supporters turn up in force for this historic occasion, it should be a great day at the Arms Park," said Blues coach Dai Young.

"I'm fortunate to have played most of my career here and it will be great to see so many familiar faces here for the post-match celebrations.

"I think the best memory I have of the Arms Park is beating Bath here in the Heineken Cup many seasons ago.

"It was an eerie, foggy night and I remember Nigel Walker sprinting down the wing.

"We all have fond memories of the place and the ground has been a second home to a lot of us for a number of years.

"It's sad that we are leaving but it is progress, and another door opens as we move to a new stadium.

"We are excited to be moving but there is also a bit of sadness leaving the old ground."

Blues: Ben Blair; Richard Mustoe, Jamie Robinson, Gareth Thomas, Chris Czekaj; Nicky Robinson, Darren Allinson; Rhys Gill, T Rhys Thomas, John Yapp, Deiniol Jones, Scott Morgan, Sam Warburton, Robin Sowden-Taylor (capt), Maama Molitika.
Replacements: Sam Hobbs, Ross Johnson, James Down, Ben White, Richie Rees / Rhys Downs, Dai Flanagan, Ceri Sweeney.

Edinburgh: C Paterson, J Houston, B Cairns, N De Luca, S Webster, P Godman, G Laidlaw, K Traynor, R Ford, G Cross, C Hamilton, J Hamilton, S Newlands, R Grant, A Hogg (capt).
Replacements: Andrew Kelly, Ryan Grant, Scott MacLeod, Matt Mustchin, Ben Meyer, Andrew Turnbull, Hugo Southwell.

Referee: Simon McDowell (IRFU)

BBC Sport

Cardiff 7-0 to the good, Edinburgh get turnover ball and dick about instead of just clearing, easy interception.

Penalty for offside, Chris Paterson does the formalities, 7-3.

I know it's an end of season match, but we can finish 2nd in the league with a win today but why o why do we keep running it out of defence?

We're starting to get into the game more, looking dangerous down the wings, but we're being lazy and not getting to the breakdown.

It's live on s4c if anyone is interested:

www.s4c.co.uk

14-3. Against the run of play there a bit, but our fowards are being bloody lazy and not getting to the breakdown.

C'mon Burgh, we're a better team than this lot, pull it together!

Poor first half from Edinburgh, laziness at the breakdown from the pack has undone all of the good work that our backs, notably Cairnsy and Webster, has done. I did enjoy Ross Ford's windmill punching though, but I get the feeling he hit Geoff Cross more than Yapp. We're good when we keep the ball and go wide, and when our forwards get to the breakdown we're coming out on top. The win's still there for the taking but we really need to pull the finger out up front.

Can't see the Blues losing their last ever game at the Arms Park. Neither side has anything to play besides pride, and I think the Blues will be targeting that more given the circumstances.

Plus, 14 - 3 is a handy half time lead...

Well we've got 2nd place to play for. I'd like to think we can ruin their party! 14-3 is a decent lead, but if Edinburgh get an early enough try in the second half...who knows? We need to stop being so damned lazy though.

Well you could ruin their party, but I don't think finishing second place is good enough motivation.
Either way, we'll see what they can do. They may be able to upset the Hairsprays at home every time, but Cardiff are a better outfit.

And as I say that, a penalty try is awarded. They could snatch this yet!
I've always thought Jamie Robinson was a waste of space. I don't think they'll miss him in the slightest.

14 - 15 now. *whips self*

Aye, but we've got a good record down at the Arms park.

Plus, 14-10 now. Penalty try and yellow card, deliberate knock on on the line. Game on now lads!

TRY CAIRNS.

Paterson misses the extras, fair bit of booing going on there though for the kick. Surely that's not befitting of the last game at arms park?

Mmm yeh, thought the booing was a bit ridiculous to be honest. Blame Robinson for making things worse for the Blues, rather than Edinburgh for making you pay for lack of discipline...

Annoying thing is, why is it we can't show this away form throught the rest of the season? Then we'd be fecking champions!

I was saying the same thing about Llanelli on Wednesday... Sadly it doesn't work like that, or there'd be Edinburgh v Scarlets European finals every year. <_<

Ok, Blues are pathetic.

De Luca with an interception, 36-14 now. One way traffic in the second half, Robinson must've fired a rocket up their arse in the dressing room.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ May 17 2009, 04:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I was saying the same thing about Llanelli on Wednesday... Sadly it doesn't work like that, or there'd be Edinburgh v Scarlets European finals every year. <_<

Ok, Blues are pathetic.[/b]

Well I'd like to think Edinburgh are different from the Scarlets. We've scored more BPs than any other team in this league, and only lost one game at home, by 5 points to Munster. It's the games like Glasgow and Scarlets away that we lost that were the difference between Edinburgh and Munster in the ML (and let's not have any of the Munster rested players, I know they did but you can only beat what's infront of you). SO much potential at Edinburgh. Leinster were in a similar position to us a few years back, so who knows what the future holds?

Full time, 36-14.

What a second half performance from the Burgh! Turned it around to score 5 tries in the second half, awesome turnaround. Poor first half, being lazy at the breakdown, but our backline looked lively all game. Thought all of our backs had a good game actually!

2nd spot, no less than we deserve on league form alone I feel. I know people will talk about how the Irish teams rested players for the H Cup, but as I already said in this thread, you can only beat what's but infront of you. We've only lost one game at home this season, just a really poor start to the season has left me wondering what might have been. Hopefully Andy Robinson stays at Edinburgh, though I doubt that's going to happen. Nevertheless, a very young team with alot of potential.

Excellent win to cap off what has been, in a league sense at least, a very good season.

Latest posts