• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Carter to rejoin All Blacks

McAlister has not earned a reason to start over Nonu, infact he has looked quite average. Nonu did use to play as a forward in club rugby as a Hooker. Carter should start because Donald has been given an oppertuinity in Carter's absence and he hasn't really impressed. I feel sorry for Donald, but that's life when playing for the All Blacks.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sneaki @ Aug 10 2009, 06:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flux @ Aug 10 2009, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank God for that. If Donald gets dropped straight away, he can suck it up. It's a part of international rugby, and Donald's hardly been in the type of form that would suggest he deserves to hold down the starting spot anyway.[/b]

Of course Carter should be replacing Donald straight away, but knowing the loyalty the coaches have in some players (such as Rokocoko and Toeava...) it wouldn't surpise me if they stuck with Donald and brought Carter in off the bench.
[/b][/quote]

Never understood the loyalty myself. But unlike Toeava and Rokocoko, Donald has never really shown glimspes of being able to hack it on the international stage. Here's hoping the selectors agree with me here. In saying that, I wouldn't be surprised to find Carter on the bench either.

This seems almost as complicated as the whole Brussouw or Schalk issue. :/

Anyway, glad to see him back, New Zealand just aint the same without him.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Aug 11 2009, 07:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
McAlister has not earned a reason to start over Nonu, infact he has looked quite average. Nonu did use to play as a forward in club rugby as a Hooker. Carter should start because Donald has been given an oppertuinity in Carter's absence and he hasn't really impressed. I feel sorry for Donald, but that's life when playing for the All Blacks.[/b]

That's because he's been seen almost entirely at outhalf (or entirely??) rather than at centre where I've always seen him as a far better player.

I do understand where you're coming from but I don't think Nonu is benefiting the All Blacks at the moment in any way and what's to lose by trying him. He hasn't played any worse than Nonu when he's played. Perhaps he'll sparkle at centre or maybe Nonu being dropped to the bench will be the kick in the ass that he needs to find some form.

I've always thought of McAlister as a center. He makes for a good kicking 12 and I think he's got a knack for support play that makes him an option at 13. I would however say that he's an out and out 12 and I don't see the point in playing a guy like him at 10.

Nonu is an outstanding 12 but there is no reason he couldn't move into 13, I don't think he's got the outside pace to play on the wing but I guess there are slower guys out there.

Well Conrad Smith doesn't deserve to be dropped just to accommodate McAlister at 12 and Nonu at 13. Nonu has been very good at 2nd 5 these past two years but he like the rest of the backline are just too much out of form (bar Smith).

Yeah, I also rate Conrad Smith. One thing is for sure, NZ are spoiled for options when it comes to centers.

Yeah, Burger is more than big enough to play at blindside. Juan Smith is consistently good, but it'd be good to change things up a little. Also having 2 fetchers on the field can only be a good thing.

I wouldn't be surprised if Carter is on the bench, probably to come on with 30 minutes to go. Wouldn't mind seeing Cory Jane back on one of the wing berths. On the case of McAlister he is a center, and only a center IMO. You could put Nonu and McAlister in the same sort of center catagory, both are big and strong who are great at offloads. This is why I wouldn't mind seeing a McAlister-Smith combination.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Aug 11 2009, 12:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jethro @ Aug 11 2009, 12:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Woldog @ Aug 10 2009, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wayner @ Aug 10 2009, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Therefore what do you have to lose by bringing Carter back into the starting XV?[/b]

Can't claim the "Not at full strength" defence when they lose next?
[/b][/quote]

Hey stop taking out my early "reasons the ABs improbably lost" stuff, next you'll be saying I can't blame the shoddy display by the Ref ;)

My major gripe as usual is the Cartel are not selecting on merit once again. Time for a change I reckon, and yes I supported them after the shoddy display by the Ref cost us our world cup semi spot.

[/b][/quote]
:rolleyes: :D Are you sure you want to go there again ?
[/b][/quote]

You need to read it in context mate, was tongue in cheek :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ Aug 11 2009, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I've always thought of McAlister as a center. He makes for a good kicking 12 and I think he's got a knack for support play that makes him an option at 13. I would however say that he's an out and out 12 and I don't see the point in playing a guy like him at 10.

Nonu is an outstanding 12 but there is no reason he couldn't move into 13, I don't think he's got the outside pace to play on the wing but I guess there are slower guys out there.[/b]

Mcallister was tried at outside centre against Australia a couple of years ago and he was woeful, ran completely the wrong lines on both attack and defence. I've always thoight of him as an outstanding 12. Nonu was switching between 14 and 13 regularly up until recently and he was amazing at 13.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ Aug 12 2009, 06:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yeah, Burger is more than big enough to play at blindside. Juan Smith is consistently good, but it'd be good to change things up a little. Also having 2 fetchers on the field can only be a good thing.[/b]

Burger can't run the ball nearly as well as Smith and Smith was close to MOTM last weekend too. It would be interesting to see how he performs there though. I don't think Burger can be called a fetcher though as he gets hardly any turn overs these days and is rarely first to the ball. He also seems to have lost that almost hunting instinct that all good opensides seem to have.

The All Blacks tried 2 fetchers, McCaw and Holah (Holah was easily one of the top 3 in the world at that time) against Ireland I think in 2005/2006. It didn't work at all... They seemed to get in each other's way more than anything

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KZNSharksFan @ Aug 12 2009, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dundeesmiffy @ Aug 11 2009, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nonu is an outstanding 12 but there is no reason he couldn't move into 13, I don't think he's got the outside pace to play on the wing but I guess there are slower guys out there.[/b]

Mcallister was tried at outside centre against Australia a couple of years ago and he was woeful, ran completely the wrong lines on both attack and defence. I've always thoight of him as an outstanding 12. Nonu was switching between 14 and 13 regularly up until recently and he was amazing at 13.
[/b][/quote]

But didn't he play a bit of 13 when he was at Sale? surely he would of learnt a thing or two. But then i again i prefer him at 12.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ Aug 12 2009, 10:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I wouldn't be surprised if Carter is on the bench, probably to come on with 30 minutes to go. Wouldn't mind seeing Cory Jane back on one of the wing berths. On the case of McAlister he is a center, and only a center IMO. You could put Nonu and McAlister in the same sort of center catagory, both are big and strong who are great at offloads. This is why I wouldn't mind seeing a McAlister-Smith combination.[/b]
They're pretty different really. McAllister can kick the ball which puts him in a different category to Nonu.

If I recall correctly, McAlister and Smith were linked up pretty well before McAlister left. I wouldn't mind seeing them have another go at it. I don't like McAlister because of what he did, but I still think he's a better player than Nonu when he's at his best.

But the All Blacks coaches being the All Blacks coaches, we'll probably stick with McAlister at first five (if the game between Otago and Harbour last night is anything to by) and Nonu will keep on playing until he's back to his old self.

Latest posts