• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Carter to rejoin All Blacks

S

Sneaki

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Dan Carter to rejoin All Blacks squad

All Black Dan Carter is to join the All Blacks squad for the remainder of the team's Investec Tri Nations campaign, with Otago lock Tom Donnelly also coming in as cover at this week's one-day camp.

The All Blacks will come together for a one-day training camp in Auckland on Wednesday before assembling in Sydney on Sunday to prepare for the Bledisloe Cup Test against Australia at ANZ Stadium on Saturday 22 August.

Donnelly is providing cover for lock Bryn Evans, who is under an injury cloud.

All Blacks Doctor Deb Robinson said Evans had trained on Thursday but had reported pain in his back and leg on Friday and had to withdraw from the Hawke's Bay team for their Air New Zealand Cup match against Wellington on Saturday afternoon.

"Bryn will be having a scan today so we can see what the long-term prognosis will be," Dr Robinson said.

Carter has played a club game and two rounds of the Air New Zealand Cup since returning to rugby following his Achilles injury and All Blacks Coach Graham Henry said he had spoken to the 59-Test All Black who was "very keen" to rejoin the All Blacks.

"He is a key member of the All Blacks, has recovered well from his injury and has made a great return to rugby so now is the right time to bring him back into the squad," Henry said.

Carter will also be available for Canterbury's Air New Zealand Cup round three match against Waikato on Friday night.

Wellington's Tamati Ellison, who has been with the squad as cover, will also attend the Auckland camp together with Isaia Toeava, who is recovering from a stress fracture in his foot.

Meanwhile, Henry and his Assistant Coaches Wayne Smith and Steve Hansen will finalise the 26-strong All Blacks squad for Sydney next Saturday.[/b]

http://allblacks.com/news/10742/Dan-Carter...ll-Blacks-squad

Great news for the AB's. I'm not sure whether they'll rush him into the starting XV though. I guess it wouldn't be great for Donald's confidence if he got put straight back onto the bench, as he hasn't been playing too badly lately.

Carter looked pretty good in Canterbury's defeat of Auckland - I believe he scored all of their points. He even survived a cheap shot to the head.

I don't know that Donald has much right to be upset if Carter starts - Carter was named the best rugby player in the world a year or two ago. Assuming that he is in good health then he deserves to be in the starting lineup and Donald shouldn't take it as a vote of non-confidence. Surely he knew that he would be relinquishing the role to Carter once DC returned.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
I don't know that Donald has much right to be upset if Carter starts - Carter was named the best rugby player in the world a year or two ago.[/b]

Alot can change in a year or two..... He has as much right as anyone to be upset if he gets pushed out of the starting lineup...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Woldog @ Aug 9 2009, 10:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
I don't know that Donald has much right to be upset if Carter starts - Carter was named the best rugby player in the world a year or two ago.[/b]

Alot can change in a year or two..... He has as much right as anyone to be upset if he gets pushed out of the starting lineup...
[/b][/quote]I could see your point if the ABs won both games against the Boks, but they were 0-2 and have not looked great in 2009, even in the games that they won. Therefore what do you have to lose by bringing Carter back into the starting XV?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wayner @ Aug 10 2009, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Carter looked pretty good in Canterbury's defeat of Auckland - I believe he scored all of their points. He even survived a cheap shot to the head.

I don't know that Donald has much right to be upset if Carter starts - Carter was named the best rugby player in the world a year or two ago. Assuming that he is in good health then he deserves to be in the starting lineup and Donald shouldn't take it as a vote of non-confidence. Surely he knew that he would be relinquishing the role to Carter once DC returned.[/b]
I completely agree with you. Donald was hardly playing brilliantly and would have known that Carter would be straight back in when he was fit. The only thing is I hope Carter is not brought back into the team before he is ready. However, if he is fit and ready to go then you just have to pick him.

Thank God for that. If Donald gets dropped straight away, he can suck it up. It's a part of international rugby, and Donald's hardly been in the type of form that would suggest he deserves to hold down the starting spot anyway.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flux @ Aug 10 2009, 06:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Thank God for that. If Donald gets dropped straight away, he can suck it up. It's a part of international rugby, and Donald's hardly been in the type of form that would suggest he deserves to hold down the starting spot anyway.[/b]

Of course Carter should be replacing Donald straight away, but knowing the loyalty the coaches have in some players (such as Rokocoko and Toeava...) it wouldn't surpise me if they stuck with Donald and brought Carter in off the bench.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wayner @ Aug 10 2009, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Therefore what do you have to lose by bringing Carter back into the starting XV?[/b]

Can't claim the "Not at full strength" defence when they lose next?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (candybum @ Aug 10 2009, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
10 Carter
12 McAlister
13 Smith

:D[/b]

Great minds eh?

Smith has been the only back for NZ who's looking particularly dangerous in attack in the last couple of matches.

Nonu looks fierce boring and McAllistar should be given serious consideration at 12. Hey, you'll evenhave a kicking option from 12 for once.

If Carter is matchfit then he should be starting. Otherwise get him upto matchspeed from the bench.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Aug 10 2009, 11:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (candybum @ Aug 10 2009, 11:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
10 Carter
12 McAlister
13 Smith

Great minds eh?

Smith has been the only back for NZ who's looking particularly dangerous in attack in the last couple of matches.

Nonu looks fierce boring and McAllistar should be given serious consideration at 12. Hey, you'll evenhave a kicking option from 12 for once.

If Carter is matchfit then he should be starting. Otherwise get him upto matchspeed from the bench.
[/b][/quote]

Fully agree, Smith, not the flashiest guy, runs great lines and is defensively solid. Always been a fan of his! And well that combination has been proven to be very good and efficient. This loyalty with sticking with the same players that Henry has is plain stupid. Some of the guys are so out of form its not worth a giggle.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Woldog @ Aug 10 2009, 03:42 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE

[/b][/quote]
Donald has being playing terribly though. He has no right to the shirt.

This is kind of Off Topic but has Nonu ever played forward? To me he looks like he has the build to be a flanker or #8.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Aug 10 2009, 01:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I completely agree with you. Donald was hardly playing brilliantly and would have known that Carter would be straight back in when he was fit. The only thing is I hope Carter is not brought back into the team before he is ready. However, if he is fit and ready to go then you just have to pick him.[/b]
He sure looked fit in that last game - Auckland may not be the Wallabies or Boks but he scored a try and made another great break down the sideline before taking a hit to the head. He stayed down for a few seconds but got up and played on. He is now the leading points scorer in the ANZ competition. And he has two more weeks to get even more fit before the game against the Wallabies. I believe he is playing against Waikato this weekend, is he not?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Woldog @ Aug 10 2009, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wayner @ Aug 10 2009, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Therefore what do you have to lose by bringing Carter back into the starting XV?[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Hey stop taking out my early "reasons the ABs improbably lost" stuff, next you'll be saying I can't blame the shoddy display by the Ref ;)

My major gripe as usual is the Cartel are not selecting on merit once again. Time for a change I reckon, and yes I supported them after the shoddy display by the Ref cost us our world cup semi spot.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jethro @ Aug 11 2009, 12:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Woldog @ Aug 10 2009, 07:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wayner @ Aug 10 2009, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Hey stop taking out my early "reasons the ABs improbably lost" stuff, next you'll be saying I can't blame the shoddy display by the Ref ;)

My major gripe as usual is the Cartel are not selecting on merit once again. Time for a change I reckon, and yes I supported them after the shoddy display by the Ref cost us our world cup semi spot.

[/b][/quote]
:rolleyes: :D Are you sure you want to go there again ?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (candybum @ Aug 10 2009, 10:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
10 Carter
12 McAlister
13 Smith

I think that needs to be used against South Africa. I think it should be at least tried out as we need to kick the ball tactically. Personally, still have faith in Nonu. It wouldn't even be dropping Nonu, it would just be adjusting the team's tactics. Nonu could still come on off the bench in the last 15 to carve up the opposition or else he could even move to the wing.

Feel sorry for Donald just a real little bit lol especially working hard staying here in New Zealand than get dropped from the starting lineup for someone that's been overseas for 6 months and only played 2 games here.

I guess even if Donald was playing awesome it's just to hard to try and compare to Carter it's like Lebron James being compared to Michael Jordan or everyone says someones gonna be the next Lomu you just can't compare no matter what you do.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (jawmalawm24 @ Aug 11 2009, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Feel sorry for Donald just a real little bit lol especially working hard staying here in New Zealand than get dropped from the starting lineup for someone that's been overseas for 6 months and only played 2 games here.

I guess even if Donald was playing awesome it's just to hard to try and compare to Carter it's like Lebron James being compared to Michael Jordan or everyone says someones gonna be the next Lomu you just can't compare no matter what you do.[/b]
I feel sorry for Donald as well. He works so hard and out there on the field he looks like he has accomplished what most NZers want, to become an All Black. Too bad, that is not what International Rugby is about.

Latest posts