• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Catt puts retirement on hold

M

munross

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Former England star Mike Catt will put his retirement plans on hold to help injury-hit London Irish next season.

Catt will be 38 by the time the new Premiership season begins in September and the World Cup winner had intended to hang up his boots in order to become a full-time coach with the Exiles.

But injuries to fly-halves Chris Malone and Jamie Lennard, signed for next season, have left Irish short of cover at 10.

The new boys are set to miss the start of the campaign and Catt, who won 75 caps for England, is ready to step into the breach while they return to fitness.

"I'd be gutted because while I'm thoroughly enjoying playing, I'm really enjoying coaching," he said.

"Toby Booth (director of rugby) has taught me a lot but there's still plenty for me to learn from him. Now I need to go full time as a coach.

"But we've recruited two fly-halves and both of them have become injured unfortunately. They're out for between four to five months and that has left us light at 10.

"If both of them don't recover by the time the season begins then I'll have to start, or at least be available."[/b]
http://www.rugbyweek.com/news/article.asp?id=20537

At 38 he's probably going to be one of the oldest players to have played professional rugby or have there been other older players...?

Pretty sure Johan Ackerman retired around 37 or 38 as well.

Two South Africans being the oldest players to retire? :eek:

In fairness to him, he's still putting in some sublime performances at Irish. You only have one small window of time for playing pro-sport, power to him for keeping it going while he's still good enough.