• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Chabal Abosolute classic

I don't get why there is so much enthusiasm about Chabal... Okay he looks like a caveman with his beard and he hits hard, but with the ball... Apart from scoring tries against Namibia he's awful

that's just rude of him. as it wasn't enough to have that "homo erectus" look he now had to have that "homo erectus" wisdom and politeness.
idiot... what's wrong with most french people that refuse to speak english? i've met some really nice people in france during this world cup, but also some really dumbass people.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
Sadly all this rerally shows is tha SC is ill-mannered.

He was at a press conference at an international event. A reporter asked him, politely, if he could ask a question in English, a language SC speaks. He refused and walked out.

This may be his right, but it was a very rude thing to do.
[/b]

Asking questions in French to an English player in England would be very rude too...
think about it... <_<
[/b][/quote]

But he gives interviews in English every week in England. Its the Rugby WORLD Cup.

Chabal is a twat.
[/b][/quote]
And did he not say that he speaks French in France?

<div class='quotemain'>

He was at a press conference at an international event. A reporter asked him, politely, if he could ask a question in English, a language SC speaks. He refused and walked out.

[/b]

Asking questions in French to an English player in England would be very rude too...
think about it... <_<
[/b][/quote]

No it wouldn't. If the questions were politely phrased and asked to a player who speaks French it wouldn't be in the least bit rude. In fact, it would be the sensible thing to do.

Remember the journalist asked SC if he could ask a question in English. SC response was unco-operative and plain bad manners.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

think about it... <_<
[/b][/quote]

No it wouldn't. If the questions were politely phrased and asked to a player who speaks French it wouldn't be in the least bit rude. In fact, it would be the sensible thing to do.

Remember the journalist asked SC if he could ask a question in English. SC response was unco-operative and plain bad manners.
[/b][/quote]

It's just to strengthen his image, and the "Chabalmania" in France.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

think about it... <_<
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

His name is Sébastien Chabal not SC...
In a way you are rude too. ;)

<div class='quotemain'>
Hehehe :cheers:
He is right, if you are in France interviewing a French player the minimum is to speak French.
This is not about stinking nationalism but courtesy.
[/b]

Is funny to watch, this is true. But this is not other than french chauvinism. This is the world cup and intrinsically the language is english.
I think is not disrespectfull from the journalist asking in english.

Actually, Chabal said: "we are in France, we speak french"... OOHHHHH he spoke in english!!!! What a shame. I thought he speak in french. :ph34r:
[/b][/quote]

Just to tell you that I can see right at this momment Pichot answering an interview in Spanish on Eurosport...
Spanish neither "official international" nor host country language ;)

everyone has the right to speak in his own language. chabal does speak english, but he speaks it quite badly, and has to make an effort, which he eventually makes. no one would imagine asking a question in french to any english speaking player, because the courtesy is always to adapt to the person you areinterviewing, not the contrary. i'm not sure the argentinians have any lesson to give on that by the way, i live in paris and watch almost every game of the Stade Francais, and i can tell you Roncero is THE twat, and Pichot is a total jerk

It might have been rude in the way Chabal said what he did but some people don't realise how much of an effort non-english speakng countries have to make when they try speak English. Maybe English speaking countries should make more of an effort in trying to speak French etc than they'll know how hard it is.

Good on ya Chabal more power to you :cheers:

It might have been rude in the way Chabal said what he did but some people don't realise how much of an effort non-english speakng countries have to make when they try speak English. Maybe English speaking countries should make more of an effort in trying to speak French etc than they'll know how hard it is.
[/b]
No deal, the English didn't kick all the nations around for centuries in wars to speak thier language, English for the win! :D

When I saw this on TV in France, I strangely enough felt rather hurt. I really enjoy seeing Chabal play but thought this was not very courteous at all, and some of the respect I have for him has diminished. I don't know, I think he may have possibly just handled it a little nicer. I hoped he would.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

think about it... <_<
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

His name is Sébastien Chabal not SC...
In a way you are rude too. ;)
[/b][/quote]

To use someone's initials is a perfectly acceptable convention and is not in any way an expression of rudeness. However, it is possible this is not the same convention in the French language. If you wish to me write out Sébastien Chabal every time then I am happy to do so but I must wonder at your attitude - and, yes, I know how to type in an acute accent from my keyboard.

everyone has the right to speak in his own language. chabal does speak english, but he speaks it quite badly, and has to make an effort, which he eventually makes. no one would imagine asking a question in french to any english speaking player, because the courtesy is always to adapt to the person you areinterviewing, not the contrary. i'm not sure the argentinians have any lesson to give on that by the way, i live in paris and watch almost every game of the Stade Francais, and i can tell you Roncero is THE twat, and Pichot is a total jerk
[/b]

The problem isn't about language as such, but rather how to respond. If Sébastien Chabal (or any other person) doesn't feel comfortable or confident when speaking in a language not his own then why not reply "I would prefer to speak in my own language, thank you." ?

Nothing wrong with that whatsoever.

To refuse to co-operate and to walk out isn't the correct way to behave.

To use someone's initials is a perfectly acceptable convention and is not in any way an expression of rudeness. However, it is possible this is not the same convention in the French language. If you wish to me write out Sébastien Chabal every time then I am happy to do so but I must wonder at your attitude - and, yes, I know how to type in an acute accent from my keyboard.

[/b]

No, i was just jocking. ;)

Séb (usual shortcut for Sébastien) is very French, i mean grumpy like most French peoples so i am not surprised and like most French he is a little bit anti English, just a little bit but still a little bit.
Like English are a little bit anti French, just a little bit but still a little bit. :lol:

Way too many little bit in my answer. :wah:

He can speak the language he wants. and more then that... he is in his country.
And i think is not about Chauvinism, its about being proud, of his country... its about having what many players from many countries dont have.
This tells many about a persons spirit... and the will he has to give averything for his country.

Nacionalism? Yes, i think this is about it too... but whats wrong about that? I am nacionalist... we all are nacionalism, but it is not because of that that we dont speak our national language in this forum... because here we want to comunicate between all of us.

But if Chabal talked in French... everyone would understand (someone with only subtitles), but it would be the way he prefered.

I must tell you i liked it.

Good on him I say, a French man in France is going to speak his first language first and foremost... not rude at all.

If somebody turned up where I live and started interviewing me in another language my response would probably be much the same!

I don't understand the things on Chabal. I think it's a great player, but not the best. There is a lot of great player before him. I think that Pellous is (was) better.
Now, I think the best French Player is Elissalde.

He's so strong but not the stronger Thion is very good, tall and verygood in scrum !!