• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Champions Cup 19/20: Semi-Finals

I'm less concerned by Racing than i was about Toulouse, without meaning to deny they are a good side ,but i don't think they are quite so dangerous .They were quiet for long periods against Sarries and based on both semis I think Chiefs are slight favourites. Gonna be a good 'un.

My main concern for Chiefs if that they are were pretty slow to react to turnovers and when Toulouse whipped the ball across the pitch and made ground, large chunks of the Chiefs players were not making enough effort to get back to defend. If Racing have seen that they will know that off turnover ball if they quickly get it to the opposite wing (which they can) they will make lots of ground.

How much rugby are the French playing at the moment?
To me, they all looked rusty, and lacking match fitness - about where the England clubs were after 2-3 matches.

How much rugby are the French playing at the moment?
To me, they all looked rusty, and lacking match fitness - about where the England clubs were after 2-3 matches.
Toulouse went into their semi undercooked and it showed. We weren't tested in the 1/4 final. That and 2 early league games is not much to be claiming a 5th star on. Also, due to covid restrictions and the risk of a walkover there was a single team training during the week they had to train in smalller groups and separately to avoid risk of infection which would have resulted in a walkover.
Saying that we still had four French teams in semis of CCup and Challenge and 2 finalists with Racing and Toulon. Because we restarted our season and Europe didn't we were out of sync.

I think finishing the whole season instead of just playing 2 or 3 games like us and the French has definitely given the English teams an edge in terms of match sharpness and fitness.

That said, I'm not sure they've wom any games they wouldn't have won otherwise. Saracens beating us and Exeter beating Toulouse (along with Bristol making the challenge final) are all very realistic results.

Latest posts