• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Championship Playoff Finals 15/16

I'm not doubting the draw they would have just that he seems dead set on finishing his contract..
Good point,
He's specifically said he doesn't want to leave ospreys.

What's the craic with Jack Lam? I presume he's out of contract, as he arrived 2 years ago. Renewed?

Jack Lam is staying at Bristol.
Getting Jack away from Bristol would be like using a tea spoon to remove a truck tyre.

Would be a possibility.

I hope he stays at Ospreys though, I think there's a far stronger competition for the ball in the Pro 12 and he'd learn better there.

Agree with you there. In the premiership the refs tend to favour the attacking team, whilst good in intention it ends up having the opposite effect of the defence fanning out and attacking team bashing through the phases. Also limiting turnover attack which are some of the best opportunities to score tries from

The existing members of the squad already signed up for at least next season are, in a position-by-position breakdown, as follows:

Full-backs: Luke Arscott, Auguy Slowik, Jack Wallace

Wingers: Charlie Amesbury, Ryan Edwards, David Lemi, Tom Varndell

Centres: Nick Carpenter, Gareth Maule, Ben Mosses, Jack Tovey

Fly-halves: Gavin Henson, Adrian Jarvis, Callum Sheedy

Scrum-halves: Will Cliff, Martin Roberts, Andy Uren

Props: Gaston Cortes, Jamal Ford-Robinson, James Hall, Jack O'Connell, Anthony Perenise, Kyle Traynor

Hookers: Chris Brooker, Max Crumpton, Marc Jones, Ross McMillan

Second rows: Ian Evans, Ben Glynn, Joe Joyce, Mark Sorenson, Glen Townson

Back rows: Mitch Eadie, Nick Koster, Jack Lam, James Phillips, Olly Robinson, Rayn Smid

That's a pretty big squad considering they've not even done their pre-promotion recruitment.
Bigger than ours, and I'd wager costs more.

I know there was talk that they were spending over the prem salary cap the last couple of years - I imagine it's not the case now, with the increase, but be interesting to see whether they do/can sign a couple of big players.

True,
They've lost Genge and Mama but neither would've been on big money as they were on their first out-of-the-academy contracts.

dont watch the english leagues religiously but do you reckon theres any chance of some of the london irish team joining bristol? as people tend to jump ship if relegated

I think Irish will definitely lose a few players - relegated teams don't lose as many players as they used to but any with international aspirations for the next season (i.e. Lewington) will likely move on.
I'm not sure which areas are weaknesses for Bristol where they'd be looking to recruit.
Bris had/have the pull to sign good players despite being the championship so they might be looking for bargain bucket/might not need it.

They've got big money though. They could go the Toulon route.

Looking at their squad so far for next season including the signings already made; Fly-half, prop, lock and the midfield should be target positions to strengthen.

Flyhalf must be a target position. Sheedy is too young to carry a premiership season, Jarvis probably isn't even premiership level and Henson is too much of an injury liability to rely on. Tusi will add competition but i'm not sure he is a first choice player. I wouldn't look at Priestland too be honest, he's hopeless under pressure and on the back foot and he's also an average goal kicker.

Bit of a wishful list but these would be ideal candidates, i think some of them could be tempted.
Tom Taylor (Toulon) - good goal kicking general
Morne Steyn - Stade would probably be happy to let him go, would suit Premiership structures a lot more
Toby Flood - Sale were chasing him earlier in the year
Luke McAlister - Off contract at Toulon i believe, Bath were rumoured to be chasing him earlier this year.
Patricio Fernandez (Clermont) - young Argentinian superstar
Lionel Beauxis (Bordeaux) - good goalkicking general
Santiago Fernandez (Pau) good goal kicking general
Juan Martin Hernandez (Jaguares) - under contract for 1 more year, but buy him out with a big contract?
Berrick Barnes (Top League Japan) - rumoured to be chased by Newcastle last year

Bristol were good value, sadly them for they have taken a while to get back to where they should have been for a number of years now.

They seem to have a basis of a very good squad, a youth academy that is still turning out players year upon year and more importantly a coaching setup that players will want to play for. I suspect there will be one or two quality additions to be made, they have already recruited some good talent. Should look to go after Will Hurrell and Ollie Steadman, both were quality for Doncaster.

Last edited:
They've got big money though. They could go the Toulon route.

Looking at their squad so far for next season including the signings already made; Fly-half, prop, lock and the midfield should be target positions to strengthen.

Flyhalf must be a target position. Sheedy is too young to carry a premiership season, Jarvis probably isn't even premiership level and Henson is too much of an injury liability to rely on. Tusi will add competition but i'm not sure he is a first choice player. I wouldn't look at Priestland too be honest, he's hopeless under pressure and on the back foot and he's also an average goal kicker.

Bit of a wishful list but these would be ideal candidates, i think some of them could be tempted.
Tom Taylor (Toulon) - good goal kicking general
Morne Steyn - Stade would probably be happy to let him go, would suit Premiership structures a lot more
Toby Flood - Sale were chasing him earlier in the year
Luke McAlister - Off contract at Toulon i believe, Bath were rumoured to be chasing him earlier this year.
Patricio Fernandez (Clermont) - young Argentinian superstar
Lionel Beauxis (Bordeaux) - good goalkicking general
Santiago Fernandez (Pau) good goal kicking general
Juan Martin Hernandez (Jaguares) - under contract for 1 more year, but buy him out with a big contract?
Berrick Barnes (Top League Japan) - rumoured to be chased by Newcastle last year

Toby Flood definitely has another year on his contract as Toulouse, but I don't know about McCallister (Toulouse not Toulon)

Latest posts