• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Championship to discontinue play-offs from 2018

Doubt it very much; the RFU agreed to it after all.

Unless I'm missing something, I can't really see that it points to ring fencing - just seems like a more straightforward meritocracy that rewards performance across a whole season rather than whoever is in form at the end of it.

Makes sense to me.

About damn time and thats not me saying that as a Bristol fan, I'm saying it as a fan of rugby. As ALJ says above, the best team over the league should be rewared by the promotion and the chance to prepare earlier and properly for the Premirship

Plus you can argue without the playoffs London Welsh would still be in business.

Surely this affects their pockets a wee bit? Although it's probably a drop in the ocean for the R£U.

No real reason they couldn't have said the minor premiers/league leaders at the end of the regular season get promotion.

It really is about time they did this, if one team like bristol in recent years or Lirish this season are top by miles and havnt lost a game all season but what if they slip up to say doncaster knights in the final ( which i would love having another northern team in the prem) then a team deserving of a prem spot lost because of one game. Namely london Welsh, they did not deserve to come up.

Latest posts