• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

We Need To Talk About London Irish

Saracens did that with a...Romanian? side before, didn't they?
Indeed, maybe thats how we should grow the game, Wuss get Spain/Portugal, Wasps get America & Canada/Japan, Irish get Ireland/Germany

Saracens one with Romanian side was a bit more full on, wasn't it?
Remember them changing their name to Saracens and having the same kit etc.
Pretty sure they sent a player or two across to Saracens for Prem Cup games as well

I know it was a different type of deal but what happened with the All Blacks/Quins partnership? Anything beyond Marchant going to the Blues for a summer?

I know it was a different type of deal but what happened with the All Blacks/Quins partnership? Anything beyond Marchant going to the Blues for a summer?
Literally that and we got Harry Plummer to train for a couple months.

Unless there was lots more behind the scenes in reg to coaching etc, I'm not sure what else came out of it

Yeah, I imagine they'd be looking to make them a phoenix club - it's gonna be a money pit regardless but championship would cost a lot less than trying to make them a fifth URC side, though I'm not sure where they'd play - think there's two years left on the Brentford ground share but they want LI gone regardless, and that stadium is way too big for Championship (and for Premiership, realistically), could just be a parting of ways by mutual agreement
If they move closer to central London and big up the Irish connection to tap into the expat/diaspora community and they could get decent crowds (for the championship)
Could move to Wimbledon stadium where they discussed previously. London Broncos already play there too.

With rumours of Loader to Stormers and Arundell to Racing…

Has there been any mention of LI EQ players getting special dispensation for England selection like Worcester/Wasps?

Could move to Wimbledon stadium where they discussed previously. London Broncos already play there too.
we'd kick broncos out, couldn't have both, i think our fan base would prefer irish to broncos, more high profile....there are concerns about real scrums on our pitch though

i would going to bring this up, was a bit of hype about rotating players/coaches in and out maybe stop players taking full sabbaticals if they can get a taste...but as mentioned very little came out of it

Kinda funny when you think player agents are a reason we are in this mess.
He is true though the 10 team league would be massive in terms of scheduling also in theory should mean teams can look at using smaller squads..

So I moved to London 30 odd years ago as a rugby league fan from Lancashire. A friend had a London Scottish top so they became my union team (as I didn't have one) until they were taken over by Irish in 1999 and since then i've closely followed Irish but now find myself without a club again. It doesn't feel right to go to Scottish but rugby is better when you follow someone. Has anyone else chosen a new team? Or is there still hope a version of Irish will rise from the ashes?

Latest posts