• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Chance for Currie Cup 2020?

rooster

Academy Player
Country Flag
Poland
A couple of voices were raised that present situation is a big chance for this year Currie Cup. Bulls Josh Strauss said:

"Get 10 teams involved and have a home-and-away fixtures. This way smaller unions are getting exposure as well as a lot of players for those unions. I also believe people respond well to local sport, most of the very successful sporting leagues in the world are local competitions where the games have a lot of meaning to the fans.'"

Also Bulls CEO Alfons Meyer said something similar.

I would absolutely love this to happen (it would be my first season of Currie Cup as an avid fan ;)), but with the Springboks involved and home-away fixtures.

PS. question: since when current Springok players don't participate in Currie Cup?

A couple of voices were raised that present situation is a big chance for this year Currie Cup. Bulls Josh Strauss said:

"Get 10 teams involved and have a home-and-away fixtures. This way smaller unions are getting exposure as well as a lot of players for those unions. I also believe people respond well to local sport, most of the very successful sporting leagues in the world are local competitions where the games have a lot of meaning to the fans.'"

Also Bulls CEO Alfons Meyer said something similar.

I would absolutely love this to happen (it would be my first season of Currie Cup as an avid fan ;)), but with the Springboks involved and home-away fixtures.

PS. question: since when current Springok players don't participate in Currie Cup?

The Springbok players are involved to a degree, but Super rugby and Currie cup overlaps, so when a SA team makes it to the playoffs then for most of the currie cup they wont be available for that side. The SA sides that did not make the playoffs will be starting for their currie cup equivalent. The ones who made the Super rugby final will then only be back by the Semi final of the Currie cup and then in alot of cases the coach feels its unfair to just start playing all the Super rugby players of that franchise suddenly in their currie cup team as the players already made it to the final without their super rugby players. But the Springboks does bring a different dynamic. Because of this you would often see a currie cup team dominate the whole season but when the Super rugby players return then the final is a whole different ball game and teams who dominated now gets dominated.

The Springbok players are involved to a degree, but Super rugby and Currie cup overlaps, so when a SA team makes it to the playoffs then for most of the currie cup they wont be available for that side. The SA sides that did not make the playoffs will be starting for their currie cup equivalent. The ones who made the Super rugby final will then only be back by the Semi final of the Currie cup and then in alot of cases the coach feels its unfair to just start playing all the Super rugby players of that franchise suddenly in their currie cup team as the players already made it to the final without their super rugby players. But the Springboks does bring a different dynamic. Because of this you would often see a currie cup team dominate the whole season but when the Super rugby players return then the final is a whole different ball game and teams who dominated now gets dominated.

The Springbok players don't play Currie Cup because they are play the Rugby Championship which is the same time of year as the Currie Cup. We do see some of the Springboks return to the Currie Cup squads when they don't go with the touring squad, and sometimes for the Semi-finals and the Finals when the RC is finished.

As for the Currie Cup being played. I think it's a bit premature to raise these issues. We only went down to Level 4 of the Lockdown on Friday, and there are already talks that we might go back to level 5 due to the people not adhering to the rules.

I don't think we will see any sport in South Africa being played before June at least.

Latest posts