• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Cheerleaders unsettle Souths fans: Crowe

M

melon

Cheerleaders unsettle Souths fans: Crowe

Friday, February 9, 2007 - 5:51 AM

Cheerleaders have been scrapped by the South Sydney Rabbitohs because it made their fans, including male supporters, uncomfortable, club co-owner and actor Russell Crowe says.

The NRL team made the decision to scrap the pom-poms this season and replace them with a drumming band for their home matches.

Crowe has told News Ltd newspapers the decision was about trying to make the games a positive experience for the crowd.

"It (cheerleaders) makes women uncomfortable and it makes blokes who take their son to the football also uncomfortable," he told News Ltd.

"But we are thankful for the time and effort the girls put in and some of them probably will be disappointed."

Crowe said he had a positive reaction from fans, particularly women and his own wife Danielle Spencer when they heard the news.[/b]
Sourced from nrl.com

What do you guys think?

Might be a step in the right direction, and might be a signal of the demise in tradition.

crowe_wideweb__430x312.jpg

I think he's more interested in seeing her in a cheerleading outfit every night. Women always get what they want because guys want them.

Seriously, though, I can understand...some cheerleading takes the whole sexuality thing a bit far for a "family" event. I'm not saying I don't like it, but I can understand why family men don't necesarily want to expose their kids to it. Pitty for the dancers though...they all "love dancing."
cheersquad.jpg

R.I.P.

AS I SAID EARLIER

THE BIG CHANGES AT SOUTHS ARE CROWES WAYS

NRL Team Idol - pick em

bullshit it makes "blokes feel uncomfortable while taking their kids to football"

i remember as one of my earliest pro sport memories, my dad bein like, wow check out that cheerleader, its like a right of passage!!

I think what unsettles Souths Fans even more is the fact their team sucks.

bullshit it makes "blokes feel uncomfortable while taking their kids to football"

i remember as one of my earliest pro sport memories, my dad bein like, wow check out that cheerleader, its like a right of passage!!
[/b]
My dad would have been uncomfortable.

[/b]

yeah but we dont have a cheerling culture like the US

we seem them as clad, bimbo like distractions

in the USA they are regarded as talented dancers, and even hold professional comps

it takes time to build it into a respectful skill...........the USA have had it for decades, we havent.

Well if it takes time to build the skill then the cheer leading team must be there to learn it. If they aren't there then it will never grow to the heights of the USA.

I guess though that it's fair enough if they get rid of them because if it does reach the heights you talk about ak, then more than likely the girls will be reinstated.

Nope, not at all!

There's no point really. At most school football games in Australia you're lucky to get 30 spectators. Cross town school rival matches might yield a couple of hundred, but unless you make the state finals then you get **** all really.

In the private school system, hundreds turn up to each match but in comparison to the USA its nothing.

Has anyone thought about what the kids want....NO!!!

PLEASE FOR ONCE WILL SOMEONE JUST THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

we all know what the kids want!!!

and besides at least this will tell the father if his kids a gay or not!

sorta like a test!!!

Haha yeah.

At South's games from now on you'll be able to tell who is gay or not by observing whether or not they are yelling abuse at the drummers and demanding cheer leaders!

do you guys have cheerleading in high schools??
[/b]

Cheerleading in Australian High Schools is like Snowboarding in the Sahara

IT DOESNT EXIST AT ALL

and for the record you find many gay people as Rugby League fans, thus u wont find them at the games

Gay people is Sydney, Australia prefer aussie rules (AFL) - thats not a cop out to aussie rules - its a deadset fact in sydney...the Swans are the sporting team the gay community follow.

<div class='quotemain'>
do you guys have cheerleading in high schools??
[/b]

Cheerleading in Australian High Schools is like Snowboarding in the Sahara

IT DOESNT EXIST AT ALL

and for the record you find many gay people as Rugby League fans, thus u wont find them at the games

Gay people is Sydney, Australia prefer aussie rules (AFL) - thats not a cop out to aussie rules - its a deadset fact in sydney...the Swans are the sporting team the gay community follow.
[/b][/quote]

Yeah well that's true for Sydney... well it's the Swans and Sea Eagles who the gays follow.

Latest posts