• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Chiefs re-sign Filipo and Thompson

TRF Mr Fish

Your Piscine Overlord
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
http://www.chiefs.co.nz/news/chiefs-sign-experience-players.html

[h=3]The back-to-back Investec Super Rugby champions have re-signed former Chiefs No 8/lock Kane Thompson and Wellington lock Ross Filipo for the 2014 season.[/h]The back-to-back Investec Super Rugby champions have re-signed former Chiefs No 8/lock Kane Thompson and Wellington lock Ross Filipo for the 2014 season.
Thirty-one year old Thompson returns to the Chiefs after one season in Japan with the Canon Eagles while Filipo extends his time with the Chiefs having been with the side last season.
Dave Rennie appreciates the experience the 1.98m Investec Super Rugby winning duo will offer his side.
Rennie said “Both of these players are bloody good men and quality players who have international experience. We have had a lot of Chiefs’ caps head overseas, so their experience will be invaluable.â€
Filipo is looking forward to another season with the current champions. “The Chiefs are a perfect fit for my family and I. We love the Chiefs culture, the team environment and I thoroughly enjoyed the environment, work ethic and attention to detail from the coaches,†said the youthful thirty-four year old.
The 114kg lock has played 4 tests and one game for the All Blacks and has been part of the Maori All Blacks since 2005. Filipo played two matches for the Chiefs, 45 for the Crusaders and 60 for Wellington. He has also played for Bayonne in France and Wasps in England.
Kane Thompson is 113kg and has played 26 games for Samoa, 13 games for the Chiefs and 15 for the Highlanders. He has played ITM Cup for Southland, Hawke’s Bay and Wellington. Thompson also played for U.S DAX in France.

It's great to sign these two, and it all but confirms that Vant Leven will head overseas next year. Their loose forwards for next year will be Messam, Squire, Cane, Latimer, Thompson, Crosswell and Filipo.

Why? He's been great for Wellington this year and has always been a good player...

Pfft. He has only scored 5 tries in 3 ITM Cup matches this year. A player up to Chiefs standard would have scored twice as many tries in half as many games ;)

Why? He's been great for Wellington this year and has always been a good player...

He was lacklustre in limited minutes for the chiefs last year, and he isn't getting any better at 34. I haven't watched a whole lot of Wellington this season to be fair (2 or 3 games) so if he has played well outside of the few I've seen then fair enough.

I feel like there is enough decent back up level guys in ITM cup rather than getting guys from Japan like Thompson. Especially at the loose forward spot.

This isn't aimed at the chiefs but how someone like Callum Gibbins can't make a squad i'll never know, it is like the selectors don't watch certain teams play.

He was lacklustre in limited minutes for the chiefs last year, and he isn't getting any better at 34. I haven't watched a whole lot of Wellington this season to be fair (2 or 3 games) so if he has played well outside of the few I've seen then fair enough.

I feel like there is enough decent back up level guys in ITM cup rather than getting guys from Japan like Thompson. Especially at the loose forward spot.

This isn't aimed at the chiefs but how someone like Callum Gibbins can't make a squad i'll never know, it is like the selectors don't watch certain teams play.

He didn't really get enough game time to warrant being called lacklustre, given he was injured in his first match.

I guess from the Chief's point of view they figure Cane/Latimer, Messam and Thomson will start almost all of the games. There's not much benefit in having a bunch of younger guys because if one of the starters gets injured late in the season they may not be up to standard, whereas you generally know what you're going to get from the likes of Filipo and Crosswell.

Latest posts