• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Chiefs v Blues

Darwin

AKA Dingo_Darwin
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Highlanders
Should be an interesting match up. Both teams are coming off good wins, with the Chiefs grinding out a win against the Sharks, and the Blues eventually running away with a win against the Hurricanes.

The Chiefs have been named:

1. Sona Taumalolo,2. Hika Elliot,3. Nathan White,4. Craig Clarke,5. Isaac Ross,6. Scott Waldrom,7. Tanerau Latimer,8. Liam Messam (Captain),9. Brendon Leonard,10. Mike Delany,11. Sitiveni Sivivatu,12. Tana Umaga,13. Richard Kahui,14. Lelia Masaga,15. Tim Nanai-Williams
Reserves:16. Aled de Malmanche,17. Toby Smith,18. Culum Retallick,19. Fritz Lee,20. Taniela Moa,21. Dwayne Sweeney,22. Save Tokula

Good to see they have picked an almost unchanged lineup, with the only changes injured enforced (Taumalolo for May, Delany for Donald). Good to see Toby Smith back from injury on the bench, as the Chiefs were looking a bit short of props, but I'm disappointed to see Moa ahead of Kerr-Barlow again on the bench. Interesting to see also that there is no cover for first-five on the bench, with Nanai-Williams likely to slot into 10 if Delany gets injured.

Looking forward to this game. I'd have to back the Blues for it because they played pretty well to overcome a Hurricanes side that didn't really play too badly for a good 65/70 minutes. But like I said last week a lot of it comes down to Mr Lam and his team selections, it may sound cruel but I think the Blues may have been a tad lucky that Stanley missed out with injury when he was named to play wing, and Stowers replaced him. Although Stowers' defense isn't that great he's a lot quicker than Stanley, which was fairly important against Savea/Taylor.

That's a pretty decent backline the Chiefs have got though. I don't think we've really seen them hit their straps this year yet due to injuries and the weather last week but this could be the game they do it. It'd be great if Kahui and Sivivatu especially could find some form. Plus the Blues are due for a poor performance this week to keep to their reputation :p. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Chiefs take a win here at all, should be a great game.

Yep- wouldn't be suprised to see the Chiefs take this one either.

Sorry- I sound like a broken record week after week, but the Blues just do not inspire confidence.

They are to flaky, and (due to a poor selection policy) they don't have enough cohesion.

Still- its a coin toss on this I reckon.

Yeah, this game could go either way... Depends if Pat Lam is coaching or if Mealamu will take over again ;)

Blues named:
Blues: Isaia Toeava, Rene Ranger, Jared Payne, Luke McAlister, Joe Rokocoko, Stephen Brett, Alby Mathewson, Peter Saili, Luke Braid, Jerome Kaino, Anthony Boric, Kurtis Haiu, John Afoa, Keven Mealamu (captain), Tony Woodcock. Reserves: Tom McCartney, Tevita Mailau, Teofilo Paulo, Mat Luamanu, Chris Smylie, Lachie Munro, Benson Stanley/Sherwin Stowers.

Only one change to the starting lineup, with Rokocoko replacing Stowers on the wing.

Some really interesting match-ups throughout the two teams. The Blues should have the edge up front, but the Chiefs may have a bit of an edge in the loose-forwards. I think the Blues really miss Dan Braid at 7 - it would have been great to see him match-up against Scott Waldrom, as Waldrom has been in outstanding form.

There are good match ups throughout the backline - I will be particularily interested in the match up between Payne and Kahui and centre, and out wide with Sivivatu versus Ranger and Rococoko versus Masaga.

Overall I'm picking the Blues to take a relatively close (but high scoring game), by 5-10 points.

My top game for this weekend. Hopefully the Chiefs can win it. Both teams look solid.

hope the blues give luamanu more game time.... after seeing him score 3 tries in the npc i thought he would be a starter for sure this year..... hope the game isnt spoilt by weather..... how is it looking over there????

Looks like it will be a bit wet. A game for the forwards which means it could go either way. Blues have some good ball runners in the pack but the Chiefs are running a couple of fetchers (Waldrom and Latimer) so this will be intense. I pick the goal kickers to ultimately decide the game.
Both teams have played better at home rather than away. I put my money on the Chiefs by 3 or 6
(Oh and the Blues had a good win last week, So they are due for a bad one :p )

i'm backing the Blues for this one, i'm gonna say Blues by 10. glad to see Save Tokula could finally make his super rugby debut, he was one of the stand out centres in the ITM Cup last year

Blues named:
Blues: Isaia Toeava, Rene Ranger, Jared Payne, Luke McAlister, Joe Rokocoko, Stephen Brett, Alby Mathewson, Peter Saili, Luke Braid, Jerome Kaino, Anthony Boric, Kurtis Haiu, John Afoa, Keven Mealamu (captain), Tony Woodcock. Reserves: Tom McCartney, Tevita Mailau, Teofilo Paulo, Mat Luamanu, Chris Smylie, Lachie Munro, Benson Stanley/Sherwin Stowers.

This is the Blues side Ive been waiting for. Those names above are actually ingredients to VICTORY!!!!

i'm backing the Blues for this one, i'm gonna say Blues by 10. glad to see Save Tokula could finally make his super rugby debut, he was one of the stand out centres in the ITM Cup last year

He played two games last year, one against the Blues in the final game of the season. That was the game where I think almost all the backline were random WTS players, bar Leonard and maybe one other?

Gonna put my money on the Blues. Imported clash for both and probably a tough job, but in the end I think Ranger makes the difference. Looking forward to this one (but not as much as 'Saders match at Twickers!)

This is my game of the weekend, regardless of what the English boys who get to go to Twickers are all saying.
The two most deadly back 3's (in my opinion) in super rugby, face off.
I pray to god the game isn't ruined by difficult running conditions or a horrible case of the Waratahs from last week where for some ungodly reason they just couldn't run whilst holding the ball.

This is my game of the weekend, regardless of what the English boys who get to go to Twickers are all saying.
The two most deadly back 3's (in my opinion) in super rugby, face off.
I pray to god the game isn't ruined by difficult running conditions or a horrible case of the Waratahs from last week where for some ungodly reason they just couldn't run whilst holding the ball.

Weather forecast for Hamilton is not looking too promising... beautiful (as usual) down here in Dunedin ;)

Both teams do have deadly back threes, with Chiefs back three probably more elusive, but the Blues back three undoubtedly has more power. Sivivatu has been slowly improving each week, and I get the feeling that and one of these weeks he is going to explode and get a bunch of tries.

Last edited:

Latest posts