• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Chiefs vs. Sharks!

They also need to score first and keep pushing things.
It became quiet clear that whenever they are behind they stop playing decent rugby.

So far this ref is doing well with the scrums. (Probably the highlight of the game so far)

Chiefs deserved the win and Sharks deserved the loss...as simple as that. Useless display of ball retention from The Sharks!!!!

An ugly win is always better than a pretty loss, and that was UGLY!!!!

Scrappy game that could have gone either way. Fair play to the Chief, they had the greater desire and were the more enterprising team. Bismarck the only Shark who stood out.

Now the Stormers have the opportunity to go top of the log!!

It wasn't too bad...

One question smartcooky - for kick offs, where must it be taken from? Every player seems to kick from in front of the line... I know it doesn't really have an effect, but what's the actual ruling?

Slippery ball made it tough for both teams but the Chiefs looked the better side tonight and got the deserved win. A few injured troops for the Chiefs so it'll be interesting to see who the Chiefs ARE next week, good return from Kahui. Good to see Siti running hard again but he looked more like Slippy-vatu tonight might need to check his spriggs.

Sharks first loss, I actually fought they'd beat the Chiefs but I was wrong. Maybe they dont like the wet conditions...I dont know, but their attack wasnt good tonight. Pat Lambie's a good 1st 5, only young but plays beyond his years.

I think its both teams first wet weather game (probably the first wet weather game for this year) so Im sure both teams have a few things to take away from the game.

Yuss, we won. Awesome.
Pity there were no tries but a win is a win.
Up to the next one.

It wasn't too bad...

One question smartcooky - for kick offs, where must it be taken from? Every player seems to kick from in front of the line... I know it doesn't really have an effect, but what's the actual ruling?

[textarea]LAW 13.1 WHERE AND HOW THE KICK-OFF IS TAKEN

(a) A team kicks off with a drop kick which must be taken at or behind the centre of the half way line.

(b) If the ball is kicked off by the wrong type of kick, or from the incorrect place, the opposing team has two choices:
To have the ball kicked off again, or
To have a scrum at the centre of the half way line and they throw in the ball.[/textarea]

In reality, referees allow about a metre tolerance, as long as the kicking team doesn't gain a material advantage.

This is another Law to think about

[textarea]13.3 POSITION OF THE KICKER’S TEAM AT A KICK-OFF
All the kicker’s team must be behind the ball when it is kicked. If they are not, a scrum is formed at the centre. Their opponents throw in the ball.[/textarea]

So if the kicker takes the kick a metre behind the half-way line, and all his players are lined up on the line, they are ahead of the kick. For this reason, some referees are happy to allow the ball to be kicked slightly over the line, as it makes players ahead of the kick easier to spot.

Slippery ball made it tough for both teams but the Chiefs looked the better side tonight and got the deserved win. A few injured troops for the Chiefs so it'll be interesting to see who the Chiefs ARE next week, good return from Kahui. Good to see Siti running hard again but he looked more like Slippy-vatu tonight might need to check his spriggs.

Sharks first loss, I actually fought they'd beat the Chiefs but I was wrong. Maybe they dont like the wet conditions...I dont know, but their attack wasnt good tonight. Pat Lambie's a good 1st 5, only young but plays beyond his years.

I think its both teams first wet weather game (probably the first wet weather game for this year) so Im sure both teams have a few things to take away from the game.

Sharks lose about 50% of their games played in Rain...they have never liked the wet much. Well done to Chiefs though...well deserved. Sharks have played in the wet against Cheetahs...just shows we don't learn from the wet weather...we just suck at it; Bulls i think are best at those conditions cause of their great kicking halfbacks.

Well done to the Chiefs. Not pretty to watch, but a win is a win. Don't know really what can be taken out of it.

Want to know who's going to win the Chiefs V Blues match next week ... just go against my Chiefs pick, every time I pick them to win, they lose, every time I pick them to lose they win! :)

Scrappy game that could have gone either way. Fair play to the Chief, they had the greater desire and were the more enterprising team. Bismarck the only Shark who stood out.

Now the Stormers have the opportunity to go top of the log!!

6 penalties of Peter Grant and a win over the Bulls with 18 points will get you to the top of the log with only 1 try this season... That's weird

Really messy game. Hope for the Chiefs sake the injury to Ben May wasn't too serious, as they were down to their last three props as it was (with both Afeaki and Smith already injured). I wonder whether we may see de Malmanche get some time at prop if one of the injured props doesn't recover by next week.

Not sure what the injury situation is with Donald, as I heard during the game that he was taken to hospital. It was great to see Delany get almost a full game, and play so well. His goal kicking was great, and he was getting some really good distance from his punts as well. I would be more than comfortable with him being Carters primary backup in the RWC, as unlike most of the other first-five contenders he does the basics well, and doesn't make many mistakes...

Umaga looked good again, and it was good to see Kahui back playing again. Probably the standout forward again was Scott Waldrom (as he has been most of the year for the Chiefs) - if he continues this form he will be a genuine contender to backup McCaw at this years RWC.

Really messy game. Hope for the Chiefs sake the injury to Ben May wasn't too serious, as they were down to their last three props as it was (with both Afeaki and Smith already injured). I wonder whether we may see de Malmanche get some time at prop if one of the injured props doesn't recover by next week.

Not sure what the injury situation is with Donald, as I heard during the game that he was taken to hospital. It was great to see Delany get almost a full game, and play so well. His goal kicking was great, and he was getting some really good distance from his punts as well. I would be more than comfortable with him being Carters primary backup in the RWC, as unlike most of the other first-five contenders he does the basics well, and doesn't make many mistakes...

Umaga looked good again, and it was good to see Kahui back playing again. Probably the standout forward again was Scott Waldrom (as he has been most of the year for the Chiefs) - if he continues this form he will be a genuine contender to backup McCaw at this years RWC.

This is something i would love to see... He's hot great strength and he's a pretty good ball carrier, as a prop he wouldn't have to worry about lineout throw (his biggest weakness) of all the NZ front rowers, i'd pick him to be able to play at both prop and hooker.
Waldrom looked very good, and very composed. He seems to understand the rules at the breakdown very well and he goes about his business in a very relaxed but swift manner.

... I can't believe how well Umaga is playing!!! I was a bit worried when he said that he'd be playing Super Rugby this season, (thought it could have been another Carlos Spencer) but he's playing some real good footy... World Cup contender??? ;)

Don't know what to say about this match

We seemed to be doing fine in the 1st half, but then in the second... Well I don't know, Chiefs just held onto the ball better than we did

Unless Plumtree is just trying to make the Crusaders complacent, and we get back on the winning track oin London after a thumping win

This is something i would love to see... He's hot great strength and he's a pretty good ball carrier, as a prop he wouldn't have to worry about lineout throw (his biggest weakness) of all the NZ front rowers, i'd pick him to be able to play at both prop and hooker.
Waldrom looked very good, and very composed. He seems to understand the rules at the breakdown very well and he goes about his business in a very relaxed but swift manner.

... I can't believe how well Umaga is playing!!! I was a bit worried when he said that he'd be playing Super Rugby this season, (thought it could have been another Carlos Spencer) but he's playing some real good footy... World Cup contender??? ;)

Dunno if you're aware, but de Malmanche mainly played prop for Waikato back when Linklater and Willis were still around. His throwing can't be any worse than Afoa's (and it has actually improved remarkably this season), so I don't see why he can't be picked as a prop that can play hooker...

Dunno if you're aware, but de Malmanche mainly played prop for Waikato back when Linklater and Willis were still around. His throwing can't be any worse than Afoa's (and it has actually improved remarkably this season), so I don't see why he can't be picked as a prop that can play hooker...

A run on pack that included both Elliot and de Malmanche would be great to see ... imagine the breaks from the rucks! :)

Cheifs played smarter and won the game in the forwards. I remember the commentators mentioning the Pick and Go statistic at the end of the game. The Cheifs had completed at least 20 more Pick and Goes. Which may have lead to the extra penalties in the opposition half.

The Sharks defended so good for an away team. The Crusaders will have their work cut out for them next week.

Latest posts